Computer Related > Moving an IMAP PST file and changing hosts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 11

Moving an IMAP PST file and changing hosts - teabelly
With imap all emails are on the server. If you change server host then all those emails in that inbox will disappear unless you downloaded them first. I assume outlook as something akin to local folders? If so then you copy the contents of all the imap email folders inbox, saved folders, sent etc into a local area that outlook can see. Then when dns changes you'll start to see the empty email inbox start to fill up with new email. Once that is done you could copy all the old email into the same location in the new imap server. Leave the settings the same and change them to the new email settings for the new host. Before you change dns switch off the mail services on the old host. This way those places that take ages to get new server changes won't be able to send to the old host. Just the new one. If they don't wait long enough messages should bounce rather than disappearing into the ether.

I use imap email but I copy emails down to local folders every so often and they're backed up. I use thunderbird though and that saves all email in unix mbox format rather than some proprietary format.

Messages Author Date
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing hosts new RattleandSmoke 2 Aug 10 12:10
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing host.. new rtj70 2 Aug 10 13:03
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing host.. new car4play 2 Aug 10 13:19
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing hos.. new RattleandSmoke 2 Aug 10 14:16
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing ho.. new rtj70 2 Aug 10 14:39
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing h.. new RattleandSmoke 2 Aug 10 15:14
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing h.. new Tooslow 2 Aug 10 15:15
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing ho.. new car4play 2 Aug 10 15:12
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing h.. new RattleandSmoke 2 Aug 10 15:17
 Moving an IMAP PST file and changing.. new rtj70 2 Aug 10 15:33
 Moving an IMAP PST file and chang.. new teabelly 2 Aug 10 15:39