Motoring Discussion > Land Rover - Defender 2020.
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 14

Land Rover - Defender 2020. - R.P.
Saw one in the metal today. I have to say, contrary to what others say, that it's a looker. It was in that sort of light green metallic colour. Very sharp looking design.
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - Zero
Well I dont know "what others" you have been talking to, but its a fabulous design, it looks modern, and purposeful, yet has solid design links to the old 110. Good job landrover.

Pity it will be as reliable as an inkjet printer in a microwave.
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - No FM2R
Looks rather nice.

And it's got to be more pleasant to drive than the old one.

But the advantage of the old one was that there was nothing to break or spoil, however muddy you were. Or the dogs were. etc. etc.

This one has got 'stuff' and carpets.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 6 Jul 20 at 20:10
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - legacylad
And the old one got stolen very easily....regular occurrence around my way. Together with quad bikes and lots of sheep.
The quads get driven around sink estates and can get where a car can’t. Fortunately the scroats fall off occasionally and damage themselves.
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - hawkeye
Based on the picture, I'm not a fan. Maybe change my views when I see one in the metal.

I offer this for your consideration
newatlas.com/automotive/ineos-grenadier-4x4/

Land Rover - Defender 2020. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> newatlas.com/automotive/ineos-grenadier-4x4/
>>
>>
>>
Now that is how an off roader should look.
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - neiltoo
>> Now that is how an off roader should look.

Agreed. He plans to build them in Wales, but I saw a report that he may transfer to a disused plant in France.
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - R.P.
Wales news have confirmed the story today. Who can blame him, much easier to sell in a free market with loads of trade deals. It does look a nice looking bit of kit. The Defender I saw looked good where I saw it yesterday, but I doubt any of the farmers here will even look at it. Mainly Japanese and the odd Ford Ranger "pick up" around here these days
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - The Melting Snowman
>>Who can blame him, much easier to sell in a free market with loads of trade deals.

Undoubtedly. But seems to be at odds with his Pro-Brexit views.
>> >>Who can blame him, much easier to sell in a free market with loads of
>> trade deals.
>>
>> Undoubtedly. But seems to be at odds with his Pro-Brexit views.
>
Another one of those pro brexiteers who are quite happy to ship jobs out of the country. Personal wealth is all that matters to most of them,

His professional history is not exactly glowing with ethics
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - The Melting Snowman
Don't try this on the test drive...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Oc4g_CtZc
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - No FM2R
From Wikipedia.....

"Ratcliffe is a Eurosceptic and has stated that, "As a business, INEOS supported the common market, but not a United States of Europe." He is opposed to the "layers and layers" of European legislation which he feels is making European economies increasingly cumbersome and inefficient. He has publicly expressed his disdain for politicians, criticising them for the way they negotiated the Brexit withdrawal agreement and for being happy to "lunch around with bankers" but less keen to discuss economic issues with industrialists and business owners."

I dunno, I wouldn't argue with much of that.
>> "Ratcliffe is a Eurosceptic and has stated that, "As a business, INEOS supported the common
>> market, but not a United States of Europe." He is opposed to the "layers and
>> layers" of European legislation which he feels is making European economies increasingly >>cumbersome and inefficient.

Mostly environmental stuff that tried to stop him pouting rivers. Wasn't keen on paying to prevent it then bitched when fined because he wouldn't.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Jul 20 at 11:50
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - Boxsterboy
I've seen a couple of these on the roads now. They do look good and will sell well. But they are no Defender - rather they are what the Discovery should be - and Discovery sales will suffer.

I do find it strange that people continue to buy Land Rovers despite their poor reliability record. Fashion victims, I suppose?
 Land Rover - Defender 2020. - PeterS

>>
>> I do find it strange that people continue to buy Land Rovers despite their poor
>> reliability record. Fashion victims, I suppose?
>

I know three people who buy Range Rovers...they buy hem new, run them for 4 or 5 years and then replace. Have done so for ever and a day. If you ask them, they’ll say nothing else comes close in offering a package that works as well off and on road. They all have other cars, but will rack up the miles in the Range Rover. They’re the VW Golf for the über affluent. And a fashion statement for the wanna be über affluent ;) FWIW I have t heard of any disasters from a reliability perspective with the current model... I like the new defender, and hate the new discovery (and RR Velar) from a looks perspective, not that it’ll bother Land Rover as I’m probably not the target customer for any of them!
Latest Forum Posts