Non-motoring > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 21

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - No FM2R
I am after a particular recording. There are a gazillion versions but it is specifically this one I am after;

www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-the-original-radio-series-on-cassette-20156077.html

I do not want an audio book read by anybody. Neither do I want recordings of the original radio show, I have those. It is this particular cassette version that I'm after.

Should you own the cassettes I will happily buy them from you.

Or if you can point me somewhere I can find them on sale, I will be very grateful. Sadly, the one for sale on Amazon that uses this image, isn't actually it.

But please, if it isn't *this* version, then I'm not interested.
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Arctophile
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HITCH-HIKERS-GUIDE-TO-THE-GALAXY-CASSETTES/203055492947?hash=item2f470cef53:g:MxwAAOSwQo5eznF9
Oh excellent. Thank you. I shall try to buy them.
b***** hell +£39 shipping + £17 import duty!!

Fortunately I have a variety of nieces in the UK, one of whom is going to try to buy the tapes for me.

Thanks again.
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - bathtub tom
Cassette, really? I thought I was one of the last dinosaurs.
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Zero
>> Cassette, really? I thought I was one of the last dinosaurs.

Because of old men with too much money hankering after a rose coloured experience of their misremembered youth, old technology still bubbles along. They even try and convince you that cassette was a:more convenient and b:sounded better than todays digital media. When you have proved to them thats rubbish, they then use the "user experience' crap.

Vinyl, I can understand, it sounds different (not better but different) and covers were are art form

But Cassette? no it was dire, As was 8 track,

No Attack on Mark, I'm sure his need for this source media is pin point specific.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Jul 20 at 10:42
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - R.P.
Not quite like that. I have a stash of tapes I recorded in the 70s with stuff I like to listen to occasionally. I have my 30 year old Yamaha tape deck wired into my hi-fi in the man-cave. I wavered slightly when I saw Mark's "want" - I have the HHGTTG on tape and CD. The CD is clearly better quality. I only keep the tapes out of sentiment. It is part of my SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy)
Cassettes weren't very good quality, but they were useful.

I cannot imagine my youth without mix tapes, loads of music in the car, and the ability to use a waterproof walkman when sailing / windsurfing. Or listening to them at night with headphones when my parents would have heard me getting up to change records.

How else would we have listened to the Top 20 at school?

But surely nobody thinks the sound was better quality? Or can have forgotten the delight of trying to fish several feet of tape out of the wheels of a cassette player and rewind it with a pencil?

Digital media, first on disc and then with mp3 players may not have replaced LPs, but they certainly did for cassettes.
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Arctophile
There are a few more sets on UK EBay, including this one:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-The-Hitchhiker-s-Guide-To-The-Galaxy-Boxset-6-Cassettes/164299869080?hash=item2641090b98:g:9tMAAOSwleNev886

Thank goodness you found some. I was about to offer you mine...!
>>I was about to offer you mine...!

Well, if you see some dodgy South American types hanging around your village wearing black & white hooped jumpers carrying jemmies and a swag bag, think nothing of it.

Thank you Arctophile, I am embarrassed I didn't find them but I am grateful that you did..
I just spoke with my niece and gave her the second link also.

I made the mistake of asking her if she'd sorted the first one out yet.

She sighed heavily, told me that she knew what she was doing, and that I should leave her alone. She said she'd told me that should get them and so she'd get them and my interference wouldn't make it quicker or cheaper.

Just like her Mother. And I never won an argument with her either.

I am now the proud owner of a boxset albeit 8,000 miles from where I am!

Thanks all.
Enjoy - truly part of my life's soundtrack. Booked a takeaway the other night, my order number was 42. Says it all.
Oh, and mine.

It was my habit for many years to travel with a book in my back pocket. In those pre-digital days pretty much every town in the world had an English language 'lending library'. i.e. there was at least one bar in town that had a bookshelf with a "bring one, take one" approach to lending.

I don't remember where I picked up my first copy, somewhere not English speaking, that I know. Perhaps it was Thailand.

Once I read the first book I pursued the other books, and then the recordings. Hence my love of this particular recording, since all I had was a Walkman.
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Netsur
As a devotee myself, what is the attraction of this particular recording? Is it an audiobook or an acted version?

Went to see the stage show in Theatre Clywd in Mold in 1977 (I was 12 or 13). I then went again in 2014 with my son to a show in Manchester but 'The Book' was performed by some Iranian born female comedian with no appreciation for the way Peter Jones read it. She couldn't even say Zaphod Beeblebrox fluently so the audience ended up saying it for her... And as for Slartibartfarst well she corpsed each time.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Manatee
Peter Jones was just brilliant. He was really irreplaceable, I listened to the early 200's ones on R4 extra recently
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 27 Jul 20 at 10:39
He defined the role and the programme.
We went to see it in Rhyl, must have been five years or so ago (maybe the same tour) - they played to a very small audience ( Pavillion is a superb large theatre) but it was a real nostalgia trip for me, but as Mark suggests the radio version will always, always be the best for me. Damnit may well listen to it later. I get what Mark is saying, I really do.
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - VxFan
>> I am now the proud owner of a boxset albeit 8,000 miles from where I am!

You'd better start hitch hiking then ;)
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Lemma
For several years in the late 80s there was a lay-by along a country road outside Radstock in Somerset that had a heap of coarse road chippings tipped there. Some wag had sprayed on it, in yellow road paint, "So long and thanks for all the fish". It became a well known local landmark and remained there for years.
Latest Forum Posts