Non-motoring > The US Election - Volume 3
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 40

The US Election - Volume 3 - VxFan

Discussion continues

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Jan 21 at 10:13
 The US Election - Volume 2 - No FM2R
Parler losing hosting service

www.bbc.com/news/technology-55608081

I'm not sure about this. I think keeping it somewhere you can see it and, to some extent at least, control it is probably better than pushing it either underground or somewhere you can't touch it.

Imagine a non-US company offers to host it.
Look at the 5th picture, the bottom one.

www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-55577824

Can you imagine what must have been going through the officers' mind at that moment?

I wouldn't have cried if they'd shot off every nose that came through that window.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Jan 21 at 10:12
 The US Election - Volume 2 - zippy
>> I wouldn't have cried if they'd shot off every nose that came through that window..

I’d agree with that.

Elsewhere but I can’t find the clip at the moment, there is a burglar breaking in to a house using a crowbar and doing some damage in the process.

The cops on the forum suggest that to kill him would be murder.

Personally a bloke breaking in could have murderous intention like the lot on the post and should get whatever is coming.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Jan 21 at 10:12
 The US Election - Volume 2 - smokie
He might just be a bit tired Zippy and looking for a seat to have a little rest. :-)
Schwarzenegger on Trump and the riots....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_P-0I6sAck

I so wanted him to say "I'll be back".
 The US Election - Volume 2 - Zero
"Hes just an old Tweet"

Love it.

Dear god I nearly wanted to leap up, put my hand to my chest and sing about "rockets red glares" and the home of the brave.
 The US Election - Volume 2 - Manatee
More than a bit overdone, would have been better without the music.

He was of course a Republican governor which should wind up the Trump nutters who just regard anything a Democrat says as proof they are Commies.

Without the theatrics, this is actually the sort of thing the Republican leaders should be saying.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 11 Jan 21 at 09:52
 The US Election - Volume 2 - Lygonos
Arnie is a very intelligent guy*, and waaaay better than Trump with an autocue.

He also believes what he is saying.

* other than knocking up his cleaner....
 The US Election - Volume 2 - Zero

>> He was of course a Republican governor which should wind up the Trump nutters who
>> just regard anything a Democrat says as proof they are Commies.

In a wildly democrat state to boot.
 The US Election - Volume 3 - No FM2R
I think we're going to see more and more examples of Trump being dumped by the world. And I expect it will snowball pretty quickly.

Trump National stripped of 2022 US PGA Championship

www.bbc.com/sport/golf/55615022

"..."It has become clear that conducting the PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the PGA of America brand and would put at risk the PGA's ability to deliver our many programmes and sustain the longevity of our mission," said PGA of America President Jim Richerson."

Parler social network drops offline after Amazon pulls support

www.bbc.com/news/technology-55615214

"....chief executive John Matze told Fox News on Sunday that "every vendor from text message services to email providers to our lawyers all ditched us too"."
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 11 Jan 21 at 13:02
 The US Election - Volume 3 - henry k
>>I think we're going to see more and more examples of Trump being dumped by the world
>>and I expect it will snowball pretty quickly.

The son of Gary Player was incensed the golfing legend went through with receiving the Medal of Freedom on Thursday from President Trump.
“I wish my father would simply & politely decline this ‘award’ at this time. Tone deaf. In denial. Wrong!!” Marc Player, Gary’s oldest son, tweeted in response to a story about the honor.
The ceremony came one day after Trump’s supporters rioted at the Capitol in one of the darkest days in American history.
Female star Annika Sorenstam also received the Medal of Freedom, as did Babe Didrikson Zaharias posthumously.
A guest told GolfChannel.com that the ceremony included 50 to 60 people and went off “without a hitch.” Player, 85, and Sorenstam both played golf with Trump in 2019.
 The US Election - Volume 3 - Zero
>> >>I think we're going to see more and more examples of Trump being dumped by
>> the world
>> >>and I expect it will snowball pretty quickly.
>>
>> The son of Gary Player was incensed the golfing legend went through with receiving the
>> Medal of Freedom on Thursday from President Trump.
>> “I wish my father would simply & politely decline this ‘award’ at this time. Tone
>> deaf. In denial. Wrong!!” Marc Player, Gary’s oldest son, tweeted in response to a story
>> about the honor.

Yeah well it fits, player is (claims he is cured now) a renown racist.
>>Yeah well it fits, player is (claims he is cured now) a renown racist.

And an enthusiastic Trump & MAGA supporter.

Though, as you say, he claims to be cured of racism.
 The US Election - Volume 3 - henry k
Not just Trump being targeted

Several major US corporations announced over the weekend that they are withholding donations to lawmakers who have been blamed for stoking last week's unrest at the Capitol.

Hotel chain Marriott International pledged to withhold campaign contributions from any official "who voted against certification" of Biden's November victory. The certification process was briefly halted when rioters interrupted the session last Wednesday.

After the session continued, 147 Republican lawmakers cast votes in an attempt to throw out Biden's win.

Health insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield and financial powerhouse Citibank have also said they will stop donations to the lawmakers who objected to the US democratic process.

Bank of America, Ford Motor Co and telecoms firm AT&T have said they will consider recent events when deciding which candidate to give financial backing to in the future.>> >>Yeah well it fits, player is (claims he is cured now) a renown racist.
Here comes the snowball... (The "no_cover=true" removes the need to join to read)

popular.info/p/three-major-corporations-say-they?no_cover=true
You need to read this one with a more circumspect eye...

www.opensecrets.org/news/2021/01/objectors-to-electoralcollege-donors/
Nothing particularly earth shattering in this, but an interesting read with a few surprising points...

www.scientificamerican.com/article/militia-expert-warns-trumps-capitol-insurrectionists-could-try-again/
 The US Election - Volume 3 - sooty123
I think it'll be more surprising if it doesn't happen again but more at a state level Congress. But then at state level it's nothing new. There was an attempt last year to kidnap the governor of Wisconsin, where the proud boys had an armed stand off in the Congress. I think there was one in 2011 and probably a few as well.
 The US Election - Volume 3 - zippy
The b******(s) that did this cannot be described as animals, it is too polite.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55631498
 The US Election - Volume 3 - Manatee
I did swimming with manatees, funnily enough. We are the most harmless things, incomprehensible that anybody would want to do that.
 Tony Schwatz. Talks about Trump - henry k
Tony Schwatz, who wrote Trump's book " The Art of the Deal " spoke at The Oxford Union prior to Trump's election.
He said what might well happen if Trump were to loose ( four years ago ) but seems quite accurate for this weeks activity.
30 mins for his talk and 30 min Q & A.
( Extracts of the first 11+ mins of the Q & A are circulating. )
 Tony Schwatz. Talks about Trump - Manatee
Here's the Schwartz talk.

Worth listening to the whole hour I think, but chilling to hear what Schartz said in 2016 what Trump's reaction to losing that election would have been. If you just want to hear that start around 38 minutes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxF_CDDJ0YI
 SHocked of Tunbridge Wells - smokie
Some subbie hasn't noticed the words on the shirt in the Reuters pic of the Boogaloo Bois in this article. Or if he has then their standards are slipping!!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-55699533
 SHocked of Tunbridge Wells - No FM2R
Ho ho. Bet it'll be noticed by the morning.
 SHocked of Tunbridge Wells - Duncan
>> Some subbie hasn't noticed the words on the shirt in the Reuters pic of the
>> Boogaloo Bois in this article. Or if he has then their standards are slipping!!
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-55699533
>>

No. Can't see 'owt?
 SHocked of Tunbridge Wells - tyrednemotional
...using the wayback machine, it appears the picture originally used was:

ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/B4CD/production/_116558264_065234459-1.jpg

...and has subsequently been cropped.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 18 Jan 21 at 07:51
 Corrupt Presidents. - Zero
Stand by for the Trump pardons. Most of them apparently come with a price tag and promises of "help" post presidency. No, absolutely no presidents have a clean record in this respect tho Trumps will be critically examined more closely than past, but at the end of the day how can a supposedly civilised country be so politically corrupt.

My view, less than a mere beat of a butterfly wing admittedly, is that they should be banned. Completely.
 Corrupt Presidents. - Falkirk Bairn
Obituary in the DT today

Harold Bornstein, "the hippy" former personal physician to Donald Trump.

Harold died aged 73, hit the headlines in 2015 when he issued a letter claiming that the 70-year-old, overweight, junk-food eating would-be Republican candidate would “unequivocally” be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.”

The 4 paragraph medical report, hand written by Harold Bornstein, was apparently dictated by Donald Trump.

He was dropped as the Trump Family Physician when exposed that Trump took drugs to promote hair growth. Harold had been Trump's Physician since 1980 when he took over from his father Jacob who retired from the practice.

Jim Carrey, actor, once described Harold as a "Hippocratic oaf"

The worrying fact about reading the DT Obituaries is that many of the people were younger than me!
 Corrupt Presidents. - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p093rzhd/the-trump-show-downfall
Rudy Giuliani Sued by Dominion Voting Systems Over False Election Claims

www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/us/politics/rudy-giuliani-dominion-trump.html

They're seeking $1.32bn US. My wild-a*** shot in the dark is that he hasn't got it.

Giuliani on the other hand says that it's merely "another act of intimidation by the hate-filled left wing"

It's all down hill from here.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 25 Jan 21 at 20:13
 The US Election - Volume 3 - R.P.
Shame really. He came across as a decent enough bloke during 9/11.

Borat pulled a right flanker on him...

Well worth watching.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p093rzhd/the-trump-show-downfall
He did very well around 9/11. That was 20 years ago tho, He's been on the downwards slide ever since, and now is a complete embarasment. Even more so because he doesn't know it.
I think it was 9/11 that did for Giuliani.

At times of troubles the Americans need heroes and Giuliani became that hero. He was worshipped and feted by the media and given all sorts of awards. At the same time he was pee'ing off the real people.

The emergency services and their families got so annoyed by his claims to have been at Ground Zero more often and for longer than the workers that they had lawyers track down his appointments books and movements to prove he had spent an average of an hour a week there.

He was one of those who downplayed all long term effects on emergency workers health in particular in relation to the air pollution that resulted from the buildings falling. I think there were also allegations of forcing the workers into unsafe environments without PPE.

There were more, that I forget now but essentially the media worshipped him and the people increasingly thought him a dick.

Don't forget that this is on top of the people who thought that the drop in crime was related to the falling young population and nothing to do with Giuliani's policies which they just thought victimised the minority groups.

He took the media so seriously that he stood for election as the Republican Presidential campaign (in 2008?) but totally crashed and burned as he found out how little regard anyone other than the media had for him.

I think he's been pretty much bitter and resentful since then having been deprived of what he believed was something he deserved.

He's degenerated into a laughable basket case, it seems that he's been dumped by Trump and now the Bar Association are after his licence.
www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55876035

Nutter though he is, they will fail to convict. They should simply drop it, one way or another.
He should be allowed to disappear in ignothingamumy,
 The US Election - Volume 3 - Kevin
>He should be allowed to disappear in ignothingamumy,

Yahoo! Don's been acquitted and is planning a comeback.

Make America Grate Again.
Whether this is bad news depends I suppose on whether the senior Republicans who have let him off the hook can, or intend to prevent him seeking power again under their flag.

Either way it shows how bent they are and how lightly they, take their duty as judges/jurors in the impeachment. Several senators apparently met with Trump's defence team to advise them. They really are playing with fire.

Trump doesn't look well to me, he might not be around in four years, or well enough, but his family will be and the moronic followers will feel vindicated by the verdict and not discouraged.
An utter farce as it was always going to be. Nobody, Democrat or Republican, voted according to the evidence but rather according to personal motivations.

And quite what the Democrats thought was going to happen, I cannot imagine.

What a bunch of utter planks.
 The US Election - Volume 3 - James Loveless
"... quite what the Democrats thought was going to happen, I cannot imagine."

I assume the Democrats knew there was a slim chance of convicting Trump and the focus was on damaging his reputation as much as possible, with the aim of making the Republican party uncomfortable with continuing to support him, or perhaps even to encourage those of the political right to form a new party.

A new political party, whether of the centre-right who wish to dissociate itself from Trump, or of the far-right hard-core Trumpists, would be the death-blow to any meaningful opposition to the Democrats.
>> And quite what the Democrats thought was going to happen, I cannot imagine.
>>
>> What a bunch of utter planks.

(a) they were angry with Trump and with the Republican party that nourished and protected him

(b) more objectively perhaps they felt they had to do something, and there weren't many options. And it saves them being accused of not having done as much as they could, by whomever, whenever. Many are fearful that Trumpism could be as insidious as Japanese knotweed and they have failed to eradicate it.

I agree it was treated as a purely partisan dispute for the most part.

The idea that his spawn could get the presidency in 2025, like a sort of Kim Jong Trump, is worrying.
Latest Forum Posts