Computer Related > Huawei - unstable Wi-fi Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mr Moo Replies: 6

Huawei - unstable Wi-fi - Mr Moo
We moved into a new build home last year and, frustratingly, we’re obliged to have the broadband provided by Fibrenest, which is owned by Persimmon/Charles Church. I think it’s what you’d call a monopoly!

The Huawei router / modem is in the lounge, which is at one corner of the house. I’ve added a couple of range extenders, but the whole set up is proving to be rather unstable for Wi-fi and with two of us working from home; it’s getting annoying dropping out of MS Teams calls.

Tempted to give the Huawei kit the boot and get something different. A neighbour has bought an Eero set up from Amazon and speaks highly of it. It’s a mesh arrangement with three boxes which are spaced out across the house. He’s kept the Huawei router (which I’d like to get rid of…), connected the first Eero unit to it via an Ethernet cable and disabled Wi-fi on the Huawei box.

Any thoughts or recommendations? The incoming broadband speed is 75 something or others, if that’s relevant.
 Huawei - unstable Wi-fi - Kevin
Why are you obliged to have Fibrenest? Was it in the contract?
New build development and they’re the only ISP who provide a service. Part of the contract. Pretty frustrating and something I believe ‘the powers that be’ are looking into, as it’s anti-competitive.
 Huawei - unstable Wi-fi - Zero

>> Tempted to give the Huawei kit the boot and get something different. A neighbour has
>> bought an Eero set up from Amazon and speaks highly of it. It’s a mesh
>> arrangement with three boxes which are spaced out across the house. He’s kept the Huawei
>> router (which I’d like to get rid of…), connected the first Eero unit to it
>> via an Ethernet cable and disabled Wi-fi on the Huawei box.

If his works in his house and assuming its similar layout and same construction to your house, go with it. You dont need to dump the WahWey box, in effect you are turning into a Network Terminating Unit. Unless you want to do fancy stuff with features it doesent have.
 Huawei - unstable Wi-fi - Bromptonaut
Not directly relevant maybe but we found the Wi-Fi on our Netgear VDSL router inadequate when we're both WFH. The router is in my office so connecting my PC by cable was a piece of cake.

Eventually I bought a long cable and routed it through a wall, up the inside of a cupboard and across the loft before replacing a redundant TV aerial fly lead down the wall of her office to the PC.
 Huawei - unstable Wi-fi - smokie
Makes sense.

I went with a BT Whole House mini system (4 discs were under £100, www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Seamless-Connection-Everywhere-Complete/dp/B07RRWL39N/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=bt+whole+house&qid=1625904297&sr=8-4 ).

Next door has something similar. They both seem to be powered by Tenda Technology inside and do quite a good job but I did take some days to find (by trial and error) the best positioning for them.

I was surprised last night to get the full 200 Mbps on one of the one my new phone, according to Ookla Speedtest,
Thanks all. Ordered the Eero set up from Amazon, as per our neighbour. Just need to get it up and running now.
Latest Forum Posts