Motoring Discussion > SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 30

SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - legacylad
59kms on the clock of my Seat Ibiza collected today at ALC. I was hoping for a previous 208 GT, Audi A1 or Seat Arona FR, all free upgrades friends got with OK at the end of last year.

It’s definitely nicer to drive than my two C3 diesels I had last October/November. A 5 speed box so assume it’s the lower 95PS model...onto the AP7 a few miles from the airport and up to my normal cruising speed of 125 kph, sometimes less depending upon traffic around Alicante, sometimes more, but not over 140kph, once traffic lightened.

Spent some time checking it over in the multi storey...changed the language from German ( I was the first person to rent it...bit odd), paired my phone, checked lights, radio etc etc...need to turn ff the lane assist tomorrow, unless it’s a default setting as per Tommi Toyota.

Nice and quiet, fairly relaxed at motorway speeds, but seems very sluggish once off the motorway. Off to the mountains tomorrow so expecting big things of it on narrow twisty roads I know well.

I need to configure a rev counter on the dash...nothing at the moment but I believe there are dashboard options buried in the settings.
All good fun in the sun
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Bobby
Couldn’t tell you the last time I looked at a rev counter?
I have ears!
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Zero
>> Couldn’t tell you the last time I looked at a rev counter?
>> I have ears!

meanwhile in the quiet smooth 6cyl petrol beemer............
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Runfer D'Hills
I like a rev counter, can’t really say why, but I just do. Occasionally, I like to use the paddle shifter thingies (again for no reason I can explain other than for something to do on a long journey) and it helps me to choose the right gear.

My son’s first Aygo didn’t have one and I sort of missed it, but his “new” one does and I find it kind of handy, or at least pleasing.

Of course it’s not really necessary, but many features of modern cars aren’t really are they? But we (well I anyway) kind of like some of them.

Bum warmers for example. Inspired.
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Dog
>>I like a rev counter, can't really say why, but I just do

My previous car didn't have a temperature gauge but my present one has.

I like that ... but I never look at it.

:}
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Clk Sec
>> >>I like a rev counter, can't really say why, but I just do
>>
>> My previous car didn't have a temperature gauge but my present one has.

I wouldn't want to be without a temperature gauge, but I never look at my rev counter - vast amount of wasted space, as far as I'm concerned.

What would be useful to me, as a low mileage driver, is a gauge to show when my battery needs a charge.
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Manatee

>> What would be useful to me, as a low mileage driver, is a gauge to
>> show when my battery needs a charge.

That used to be a "VOLTS" meter. Imperfect but a typical sealed lead acid battery reaches 12.8-12.9 when fully charged, then it will be in need of building up again if it drops below ~12.3. I just about remember using one mainly to check that there was some charging going on, rather than to guess at the state of the battery.

Search Amazon for 'volt meter 12v', there is a selection of stuff you can panel mount/stick on and wire in or plug into the accessory socket. Read it when it has no appreciable load and isn't charging.

If you search 'battery state of charge meter 12v' there are similar looking ones with a bar graph of the charge level. These are basically voltmeters but the slightly smarter ones can more or less calibrate themselves to a full charge.

Beyond that are battery monitors that measure Ah drawn to give an estimate of remaining charge. These also reset when fully charged and making an allowance for charging efficiency. More trouble than they are worth IME.

You have to be prepared for things costing a few pounds be to flaky so personally I wouldn't be cutting any holes in the dash for any of these.
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Clk Sec
>>That used to be a "VOLTS" meter.

Pretty sure I had one on my first car, a Wolseley 6/80.

With a combination of the low mileage in my modest 20 years old limousine, I make do with charging the battery about once a month, using an excellent Lidl (or was it Aldi) trickle charger.

If and when I get around to forking out for a new (or newer) car, I'll probably invest in some sort of meter that I can attach to the bottom of the dash.

Thanks for the info.

SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Dog
>>What would be useful to me, as a low mileage driver, is a gauge to show when my battery needs a charge.

Same with us now we've moved owse. Car is a hybrid too!

I used to like all the gauges - oil pressure, amp/volt/ and a vacuum gauge to show when I'm flooring the loud pedal.

:)
>>vast amount of wasted space…

Vast?

Erm, how freaking big is your rev counter?
;-)
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>>
>> I wouldn't want to be without a temperature gauge, but I never look at my
>> rev counter - vast amount of wasted space, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>

I never look at my rev counter either, but it makes the dash look pretty. I'd want a temperature gauge though.
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - tyrednemotional

>> meanwhile in the quiet smooth 6cyl petrol beemer............
>>

...you still can't hear the indicators.....
Actually, I saw something today that seemed ever so slightly karmic (is that a word? Well it is now!)
Black BMW (isn’t it always unless it’s a black Audi?) spent a mile or two tailgating me in heavy A road traffic until eventually he went for a bit of a sketchy overtake on a blind summit but to my relief he was now up someone else’s chuff as opposed to mine.
Another mile or two down the road I passed him and the van he had hit up the rear.
The van didn’t look too hurt but the front of the BMW was significantly restyled.

>> ...you still can't hear the indicators.....

It has some? blimey never knew.
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Boxsterboy
>> ..need to turn off the lane assist tomorrow, unless it’s a default setting as
>> per Tommi Toyota.
>>

Lane assist comes on by default in the B'lingo, but thankfully there is a proper illuminated switch to turn it off, as opposed to a tortuous trek through multiple menus on the touch-screen!
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - R.P.
but thankfully there is a proper illuminated switch to turn it off, as opposed to a tortuous trek through multiple menus on the touch-screen!

Same with the UP! Simple car, simpple needs and big **** off buttons to turn things off and on.
I did wonder if you should not take the engine over xxx rpm during the ‘running in’ period, but maybe that’s old school thinking.
Not that I know what the rpm is, unlike all my previous cars where it was de facto on the dash.

I am impressed with how smooth and quiet this 1.0 3cyl unit was on the motorway. Plenty of time to play with all the settings...a very different kettle of fish to the GRY.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 6 Jan 23 at 19:38
>> I did wonder if you should not take the engine over xxx rpm during the
>> ‘running in’ period,

Its a hire car FFS.
>> >> I did wonder if you should not take the engine over xxx rpm during
>> the
>> >> ‘running in’ period,
>>
>> Its a hire car FFS.
>>

...and it can carry 3 tons of bagged cement in the back...
What a pair of heathens....I know it’s TiC but I’ve always had a tendency for mechanical sympathy, and showing respect for other people’s property.

As an aside...I once lent a pal a rucsac for a two week Alpine trip. It was returned dirty. Both inside and out. Never lent him any of my extensive equipment ‘portfolio’ again.
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Bobby
So have you decided. Is it a Leon or an Ibiza?
Think it’s an Ibiza.
That’s what it sez on the back
I’m easily confused in foreign parts
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 6 Jan 23 at 19:39
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - bathtub tom
Fer chrissake!

If it's a diesel, it'll stop fuelling at max revs and you'll feel it.

If it's a petrol, it'll hit the rev limiter (used to be called valve bounce) and it'll feel like a misfire.

Do it the world of good as part of the running in procedure.
bathtub…now with 150kms on the clock and it’s ok to bounce it off the rev limiter then ?
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - bathtub tom
It's a hire car!
 SEAT Leon II - Running in a hire car - Bill Payer
There's a description on the internet somewhere from an engine builder on how to run an engine in - it involves taking the car up to high revs under load then letting it slow on the over-run. Repeat ten times, and it's best if it's done within the first 50 miles.
I drove it hard on the uphill motorway sections...had to with only 95PS to keep it at 120kph, then once over the crest and steep downhill foot off the gas and let the revs drop.

Configured the dash this AM..3 options, with what I suppose is called a ‘digital cockpit’.
Temp shown in bar form on LHS, fuel RHS. Radio station in centre with speed digitally displayed on bottom of dashboard.

Option 2 was ‘traditional’ round dials in centre, showing revs and kph, fuel and temp as above.

Option 3 was a rectangular (ish) display of revs and kph, same fuel and temp in bar form again.

I was suitably impressed, given it’s probably a base model. So much so that I went and scraped it. There’s a narrow steep uphill off a roundabout, which I know like the back of my hand. I’ve rented a property on the RHS several times, gaining access off a right hand turn, onto a level road leading to the complex of properties.
My ‘new’ rental is a 90 left, sharp downhill, rather blind after the steep uphill. Totally misjudged the very deep kerb on the narrow downhill access track, and bounced off it at low speed. As have other folks judging by the black tyre marks. No wheel damage, but a 6” x 2” scuff on the lower OS front. Can’t fail to miss it , even in a dark multi storey cp. I’ve a CDW policy to reclaim whatever they charge me, but I’ll take it to my friends local garage to see if it can be sorted for cash , wet & dry then a matching black spray paint to save me the palaver.
Double drat.
..give a man more hp/ps than he's used to, and a small car, and he can't handle it..... ;-)

(and after boasting of your mechanical sympathy, even with hire cars!)
Last time I looked, bodywork wasn’t mechanical.

I had an even more embarrassing event pre Covid with a hire car...reversed over the edge of a concrete slope, damaged the sill, dropped the wheel, and was completely stuck with the sill resting on concrete slab. Rescued by a pal with very large pieces of wood and a trolley jack.

Oh the ignominy

Things happen in threes....treble drat.
>> ..give a man more hp/ps than he's used to, and a small car, and he
>> can't handle it..... ;-)

ahem...it’s about a third the power of my even smaller Yaris.
Guilty as charged.
And there’s the driving about with the mark of shame until it’s fixed. “Tut” would seem to be the only appropriate comment. Or maybe “Tut tut” depending on the severity of the scar.
Not sure if I could find peace with it anyway.
;-)
Latest Forum Posts