Motoring Discussion > Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 13

Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - VxFan
I see they're trying to implement 4 years for the 1st MOT test on new cars again, instead of the current 3 years.

www.gov.uk/government/news/proposed-changes-to-make-mots-fit-for-the-future

"To ensure MOTs remain fit for the future, the consultation launched today is seeking views on proposals to change the date at which the first MOT for new light vehicles is required from 3 to 4 years. The average MOT costs £40 and the move could save motorists across Great Britain around £100 million a year in MOT fees."

Although this could save the motorist money, what about garages who will lose money?

Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Zero

>> Although this could save the motorist money, what about garages who will lose money?

What about it, most of them only give a 3 year old car a cursory glance, its a bit of a rip off.
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Boxsterboy
Delaying the first test from 3 to 4 years will only benefit the well-off - those who can afford to drive a 3-year old car.
3 years old is the sweet spot for buying a good car at the best value.
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Boxsterboy
Because most fleets sell off at 3 years, and many PCP contracts follow this pattern too.
And they might well move to 4 year terms with no MOT agro, which means the sweet spot for second hand cars will move to 4 years, and a bit cheaper for second hand buyers bring in the less so well off - So there you go, winner all round
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 19 Jan 23 at 19:30
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Falkirk Bairn
ow about 4 years BUT high mileage cars before that time - say 60K
>> ow about 4 years BUT high mileage cars before that time - say 60K

ANPR wont work with that concept. Difficult to police
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - legacylad
4 yo before MOT in Spain, then every two years until vehicle is 10 yo.

Why not ?
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Bromptonaut
>> 4 yo before MOT in Spain, then every two years until vehicle is 10 yo.
>>
>> Why not ?

I think the French equivalent is biennial as well.

But then what's tested and how thoroughly compared with the MoT.

Risk of comparing Apples with Bananas.

Is it the Japanese who have a test so tight that cars over a certain age are a nailed on fail and end up being exported?
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Rudedog
Or Germany.... TUV style inspection here would mean an end to stupid mods on cars.
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Is it the Japanese who have a test so tight that cars over a certain
>> age are a nailed on fail and end up being exported?
>>

It is with motorcycles. In 1997 I picked up a 400cc Honda V twin for around two grand, 7,999km on the clock and showroom condition that was a grey import from Japan. Their equivalent of the MoT was so tough people didn't bother and just bought another new one. I don't know if they are still imported but they were in big numbers at the time. I believe the Japanese home market is limited to a max of 400cc and there were loads of what were otherwise 900cc machines such as Fireblades imported from there with the smaller lump.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Thu 19 Jan 23 at 21:23
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Terry
MOT is intended to protect driver, passengers and the general public from vehicles dangerous, unroadworthy, polluting, or non-compliant with regulations.

The proposal should be judged against this - is the saving/benefit worth the risk. Objective evidence preferred.

It makes no difference whether folk are able to afford new vehicles, whether it changes the s/h market etc. It is not a political issue. It should not be driven by envy. It should be about the objective facts.
 Proposed changes to make MOTs fit for the future - Fullchat
I'm somewhat sceptical of removing any mandatory safety inspection of vehicles.
A fair percentage of the population are oblivious to safety critical items such as tyres and brakes.

On the other hand a new car is generally subject to a manufacturers servicing regime to maintain warranties. So in theory the 3rd service is also about the time of the 1st MOT.

But that depends on the credibility of the service. My experiences have been very negative.
Latest Forum Posts