Motoring Discussion > Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - smokie
I can't think that we have any Dacia drivers here but just in case...

www.autoexpress.co.uk/dacia/359527/dacia-offers-free-hot-water-bottles-veiled-dig-bmw-subscription-services

Made me smile anyways!! :-)

I must admit I didn't realise a heated steering wheel in a Beemer was a subscription option,. £10 a month. Really?
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 25 Jan 23 at 10:20
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Manatee
There should be a law against it!
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - zippy
>> There should be a law against it!
>>

Some Yanks agree!

www.thedrive.com/news/new-jersey-legislators-aim-to-ban-most-in-car-subscriptions
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - VxFan
>> I must admit I didn't realise a heated steering wheel in a Beemer was a
>> subscription option

Their indicators have been an subscription option for many years, which is why you don't see many BMWs have them ;)
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - legacylad
In my two previous cars I had a heated steering wheel...you never know how good they are until you get one. Rather
Like head up display...also on my Focus Active, where you could adjust the projected size which was brilliant. Unlike the Yaris, which is non adjustable.
I really miss a heated steering wheel in my current car. Even more so than heated seats.

As for paying a monthly subscription...stuff that.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 25 Jan 23 at 11:10
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - T junction
So this is why manufacturers have been pushing touch screens for controls. If you don't subscribe to a feature, the controls for it will disappear from the screen. I remember the days of blanks on the dashboard where the switches would have been for things your car did not have.
Last edited by: T junction on Wed 25 Jan 23 at 13:21
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Zero
Alas, of course everyone has failed to check out the facts. You can specify and pay for these options when you buy the car. Retrorenting is for second users.
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - CGNorwich
Presumably if you have bought the car and then decide you would like the heated seats you need to subscribe at £150 per year.?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 25 Jan 23 at 18:50
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Manatee
>> Alas, of course everyone has failed to check out the facts. You can specify and
>> pay for these options when you buy the car. Retrorenting is for second users.

So are those people being robbed too, if all the cars have the hardware included regardless?
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - zippy
What happens when a 2nd user is demo'd a car with heated seats, steering wheel etc. and buys it.

They then take the car home and finds it doesn't work and a subscription is required. It would leave a very bad feeling.

There was someone who test drove a Tesla with the high level automation package enabled. When they purchased the car the software was disabled and Tesla wanted several thousands to enable it.

Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Zero
>> What happens when a 2nd user is demo'd a car with heated seats, steering wheel
>> etc. and buys it.
>>
>> They then take the car home and finds it doesn't work and a subscription is
>> required. It would leave a very bad feeling.

With the Beemer, if its bought as feature, paid for in full, it stays. It doesn't magically disappear because the V5 changes.

Jeez you people, drain hole gazers all of you
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Mr Moo
Not keen on the subscription model, but at least if it’s purely software that you’re buying into (perhaps a higher performance tune from an engine remap), that’s one thing.

If physical hardware is installed as part of the build on each and every car that rolls off the production line (e.g. physical heaters in seats, physical parking sensors etc.) it strikes me as criminally wasteful and environmentally irresponsible if these features are never activated!
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Falkirk Bairn
I am sure some smart individual will break the BMW software and, "for a small fee" sell a solution on the internet.

Reminds me of cruise control on some SAAB cars in the 80s - cruise control was an option on the price list - say £300.

The solution to avoid spending £300 was to buy a speed limiter switch IIRC £50/£60 - all the wiring looms and electronics was in the car - all it needed was a switch.
 Dacia-Renault - Free hot water bottles - Kevin
The computer industry has been doing it for at least 40yrs.

In the 70s/80s they would sell you a 14" removable-pack hard drive with a capacity of 40MB (unformatted) and the option to upgrade later to 80MB. It cost £thousands to upgrade but all that was needed was about 4 pieces of jumper wire inside a little plastic plug so that the drive accessed every track on the disk instead of every alternate track. The customer engineers would run diagnostics for a few hours after changing the plug so it looked like a half-day job.

Today's business servers are all sold with 'hardware-on-demand' where you can switch on more CPU cores or memory with a firmware 'key' or tell the system to do it automatically and you'll be billed for the extra resources as and when you use them. Handy if you only need the extra ooomph at end of month when you're running payroll/stock/reports at the same time.
Latest Forum Posts