Motoring Discussion > Washed the car today Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 35

Washed the car today - bathtub tom
The first time for twelve months. I only did it because of the salt it collected a couple weekends ago when I did a 200 mile round trip. The previous year must have been very dry.
 Washed the car today - Zero
drove mine to the "men what clean for a tenner" for the first time in 8 months, it was filthy. Suddenly realised the number plate is now readable, I'll have to slow down a bit.
 Washed the car today - smokie
Washed mine earlier this week but managed to miss some bits completely (mainly sills, lower down) and leave a salty reside on other bits so I'll be out there again this weekend, weather permitting. The wheels could do with a revisit too.

We have car wash team in Tesco car park and one came over to me a few months back and asked me if I wanted mine washed. I said how much, he said £15. I thought that was a bit pricey.

I quite like doing it myself, as per another thread it's an opportunity to find stuff which might need attention. I don't think it takes me more than 10 minutes - spray liberally all over with copious cold water from the hose to dislodge the dirt then use plenty of water and a sponge. I'm not on a water meter. :-) Sometimes I'll dry it a bit with the leather but not often.
 Washed the car today - sooty123
I don't think I've washed mine in the last year either, I CBA.
 Washed the car today - R.P.
The UP was to be washed today - a friend turned up and we went to the pub instead...there's always tomorrow
 Washed the car today - Robin O'Reliant
>> drove mine to the "men what clean for a tenner" for the first time in
>> 8 months, it was filthy. Suddenly realised the number plate is now readable, I'll have
>> to slow down a bit.
>>
>>

The "Men what clean for a tenner" have all disappeared round here. I may have to resort to the local jet wash.
 Washed the car today - Dog
Blimey, I thought my 3 months was a long time.
 Washed the car today - CGNorwich
Only had the car since October so am still cleaning it every or so. Actually quite enjoy the process. Only takes an hour and I normally listen to a podcast or audiobook whilst doing it. Recommend those microfibre cleaning mitts.
 Washed the car today - legacylad
Washed mine last August, a few weeks after buying it. It’s now disgustingly filthy.

Where I live adjoins a country lane, often single track with passing places. Cow muck and mud sprinkled liberally down both flanks...I may get the pressure washer out this Sunday.

My boots, which I rarely walk in, preferring trail shoes, are covered in cow poo and mud. A very muddy 11 miler today through waterlogged fields, field gate areas which bore some resemblance to trenches, and semi cream crackered battling through horizontal rain and occasional sleet on t’tops.

Barely managed a half in my local before I began to seize up.
 Washed the car today - Kevin
Jag hasn't been washed for what must be about 8 months now and it shows - there's a green tinge of algae on the plasticy bit where the wipers park. Chevy has been garaged since October so it got a run to take the boss for some potting compost yesterday. It's brash, loud and unsophisticated, totally the opposite of me, but it puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key.
 Washed the car today - Runfer D'Hills
I generally wash mine every 3 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first, as a rule. More or less if there’s a soltice or an equinox.
However, it got an extra one last weekend because it was so dirty after a cold January with a lot of miles of salty roads.
It was clean for a few hours, and looked lovely, but soon reverted to type.
Shan’t bother again until mid March-ish.
The rest of the time it just gets a damp cloth over the lights, plates and windows as necessary.

The inside though, is kept clean, because that’s where I sit.
 Washed the car today - Rudedog
Oh my... I think I'm having a fit of the vapours!!

Washed the GTi on Sunday... two hour job, standard clean and top up of the ceramic protection plus hopefully removing the road grime/salt from under the car.

Washed the car today - tyrednemotional
...give thanks that none of you have a motorcaravan......

;-)
 Washed the car today - sooty123
I used to live opposite a chap he jacked the car up and took the wheels off, cleaned the thing to inch of it's life on a weekly basis. Cheaper than golf I suppose.
 Washed the car today - John Boy
My car is 14 years old. When I got it 11 years ago, I paid the dealer for that special coating which is supposed to be a waste of money. I've only washed and polished it twice, but I can't remember when I first felt the need to do it. A neighbour, who makes a hobby of cleaning his car, told me recently that it annoyed him to see how mine always seemed to be clean and shiny. Sometimes the garage will wash it when it's serviced and I always wash dirt from the sills when it appears. I keep the inside, the windows, plates, lights and mirrors clean, but there is some algae where you can't see it. It's not my idea of fun.
I guess I regard cars as tools rather than garden ornaments, of course they need and deserve care and maintenance, but Sundays are for mountain biking, not car polishing here!
;-)
 Washed the car today - CGNorwich
With 119 waking hours of leisure per week you can afford an hour to clean the car:-)
Not so, You only clean your car in daylight hours, and in Winter there are only 8.5 hours of daylight - 59 hours of leisure per week, far too little to waste on car cleaning.
And, with yours, even if you do wash it, it’s still a funny sludgy beige/green colour anyway? Hardly seems worth the bother frankly.
;-)
Ah but the wheels are pristine and unscathed
Just putting it out there sort of thing, but it’s now nearly 7 years (seven for goodness sake) since I once, once mind you, ever so slightly grazed one wheel, it was then, and remains to this day, pretty much invisible to the human eye, but I stupidly sought sympathy here.
Might it possibly be time to let it go?
Just a suggestion of course.
;-)
>> and remains to this day, pretty much invisible to the human eye......

....being obscured by the thick layer of grime that results from not washing it.....
That too.

>> Might it possibly be time to let it go?
Let it go a bit too wide you mean?
>>
>> >> Might it possibly be time to let it go?
>>

...I thought he meant the car....
It happened in Herne Bay. I’ve never been back. I’m done with that place. What’s more, the fish and chips were at best, average.
Most of the time I can block the memory, and I’m only asking for a little support in doing that.

>> Most of the time I can block the memory, and I’m only asking for a
>> little support in doing that.

This is not WA. "My Name is Humph, and I crunched my wheel at the seaside"
Wasn’t exactly a “crunch” you know. It was more of a glance or kiss really.
But, I don’t want to talk about it anymore.
 Washed the car today - Duncan
>> Wasn’t exactly a “crunch” you know. It was more of a glance or kiss really.
>> But, I don’t want to talk about it anymore.

I was ready to forgive and forget until you started a sentence with a preposition.
Et tu Duncan?
;-)
 Washed the car today - Duncan
>> Et tu Duncan?
>> ;-)

Standards, Runfer.

Standards.
 Washed the car today - VxFan
>> Might it possibly be time to let it go?

Just like we did with that bloke and the bus accident?
 Washed the car today - wotspur
Our local garage has received a lot of negative feedback for , asking for £30+ for a people carrier , and other prices for smaller cars …….previously the people had paid £25 , and asked why it’s so much more expensive ?? , well your car is very dirty and takes more time . Has anyone taken a Clean car to have it cleaned ??
 Washed the car today - Rudedog
How much!!

It's the one DiY thing I actually don't mind doing (on my own car) and am quite good at!
 Washed the car today - Dog
My first car cost me £30. Just saying like.

:o}
 Washed the car today - Boxsterboy
When hand car washes first sprung up I was an occasional user - when it was a fiver a time. Not any more - the car wash has become part of my fitness regime and I would rather not encourage the black economy/worker exploitation where possible.
Latest Forum Posts