Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 44

Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Falkirk Bairn
Rear wiper blade has split - a few years old so no problem.

Nipped into the not so near Honda showroom when passing (local one closed years ago) for a set of blades - 2 front & 1 rear.

None in stock of the rear but they had the other 2.

They wanted £72 for 3 blades and the rear would be in by Saturday.

I almost fell over - the rear blade was £25.xx on it's own!

I know there is inflation but the last lot I bought was around £45 IIRC

Ordered some Bosch wipers on line £32 for all 3 - I will give them a try.

Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - carmalade
Looks cheap to me . A friend has a late C class Mercedes’ . Pair of front blades £120 . Only reason they’re so expensive, is because they are heated .
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Bill Payer
Think a set for Jazz was £45. I laughed and they looked hurt and said was it was the "Honda Happiness" price! Got some "unique fit" ones off eBay for a few quid and they've been fine.

Try Cox Motor Parts - I had a look and can't see where £72 would come from.
>>I had a look and can't see where £72 would come from.

Honda website Fixed Price Servicing price list £44 front, £28 rear - includes VAT

Cox is usually about 20% off and prices are + VAT
£52+ VAT= £62.40 +Delivery - still around £70

As I said I will give Bosch rubber a run BUT might have to go back to Honda if Bosch are poor.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - VxFan
>> As I said I will give Bosch rubber a run BUT might have to go back to Honda if Bosch are poor.

Ordered a Bosch rear wiper for my Astra back in 2017 from www.eurocarparts.com. Just like DFS they always have some kind of sale or discount on. Should have been £13, but only paid £7 for it, including delivery..

7 years later and still like new. Not bad considering the rubber blade on the factory fit one disintegrated in less than 4 years, and Vauxhall wanted £27 for a replacement.

Car is garaged, btw, which obviously helps protect it from the weather.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Mar 23 at 10:59
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Duncan
Someone on another forum who runs a hire business says:-

(Bosch) wiper blades are OK (Though Valeo are about as good at half the price).
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - R.P.
Last straw before I sold the XC 40. 12 Months old, 7000 miles, Rybrook in Chester wanted £38.00 for a rear wiper which they claimed was "smearing" , it wasn't. This was on top of them refusing a warranty claim on a set of wheel centres, which the service manager claimed had corroded due to using harsh chemicals - I laughed in his face. Bye bye Volvo as a direct result.
>> This was on top of them refusing a warranty claim on a set of wheel
>> centres, which the service manager claimed had corroded due to using harsh chemicals - I
>> laughed in his face. Bye bye Volvo as a direct result.
>>

Hmmm, XC40 Recharge was on my list.....

Even Inchcape's VW Chester changed the wheel centres on daughter's Golf. They wouldn't change the whole diamond cut wheels though - they claimed the coating flaking off was due to someone trying to steal the centres. VW UK ordered the service manager to look at them again - he looked, said "no" and walked off. Have another VW now, but use a different dealer.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 10 Mar 23 at 21:26
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - R.P.
Tyn Lôn Volvo on Anglesey was the supplying dealer, Chester is marginally more interesting than Llanfai PG to spend a morning. Ty'n Lôn have a massive following and they've been very good with me, especially during lockdown when they collected and delivered my car for service etc. Rybrook are awful - they eventually sent me wheel centres at no charge, but only after I responded negatively to their follow up service. Hard luck I'd sold the car by then. Will flog them on e-bay sometime.

Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - legacylad

>> Car is garaged, btw, which obviously helps protect it from the weather.
>>
We’re a dying breed. People who use their garage for it’s intended purpose.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - sooty123

>> We’re a dying breed. People who use their garage for it’s intended purpose.
>>

I've only lived in one house that had a garage. I didn't use it for putting the car in, far too small. Infact come to think of it no car I've owned has ever been parked in a garage.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - bathtub tom
I had a 25'x11' garage built at my old house and when I had it up for sale, one couple nearly had a domestic because he wanted it purely for the garage to store his motorbikes. Another couple commented "how quaint, you keep your car in it".
>> >>I had a look and can't see where £72 would come from.
>>
>> Honda website Fixed Price Servicing price list £44 front, £28 rear - includes VAT
>>
>> Cox is usually about 20% off and prices are + VAT
>> £52+ VAT= £62.40 +Delivery - still around £70
>>
>> As I said I will give Bosch rubber a run BUT might have to go
>> back to Honda if Bosch are poor.
>>
Is yours the 2007 onwards model? I see the set at £48. Cox's prices do inc VAT. Don't know on delivery - didn't go that far through it.

I always choose Bosch if I can though - for our VW / SEAT cars you can get Bosch that are specific fit for the VW Group arm attachment. On the Jazz there seemed little choice without using awkward adapters until I stumbled across some on eBay that cost very little and work fine.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Rudedog
Like a lot of VAG drivers they often opt for Bosch as a replacement, I usually can get a set of front blades for my 7.5 for around £18 but the rear is always a pain being between £7 and £10, most front Bosch blades are now made in Belgium but every rear blade I've seen comes from China.

I change my blades every two years so I'm about to do mine, this time I'm going back to the OE manufacture which for my 7.5 is Valeo, a little bit more expensive than the Bosch ones with a full set (front and rear) being £32 but all are made in France.
My car was bought new and is now 10+ years and has cost me very little in repairs in 7.5 years- £100!

This is the first time for non Honda wipers. In fact mostly Honda service bits even with the Indie doing the servicing - filters, front pads, Honda supplied Varta Battery, Auto fluid etc etc

The car is, for 10+ years, as near original bits as you can get - one tiny ding that cannot be "ironed out", 3/4 stone chips on body but not rusted, a few stone chips on un-kerbed wheels, otherwise paint 100% original, as is the interior.

A good buy for somebody when I eventually get agreement from SWMBO to buy a new car!
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Robin O'Reliant
I buy my wipers in Wilkinsons, about a fiver each now (Used to be two quid) and they do the job and last as well as anything else I've had.
You can try Costco if you have a membership, michelin are pretty cheap for wiper blades there. However I've never been able to find any the size i want, anything vaguely popular seems to sell very quickly.
>> You can try Costco if you have a membership, michelin are pretty cheap for wiper
>> blades there. However I've never been able to find any the size i want, anything
>> vaguely popular seems to sell very quickly.
>>
I've looked at those but they seem 'hefty' to me, and the adapters complicated / clunky.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Mike H
I paid £32.89 for a pair of front blades for my 2019 CR-V Hybrid LHD in August 2021 from Cox, that was including VAT and delivery within the UK (I bought them there to coincide with a visit because everything car-related seems more expensive here in Austria). Seemed pretty reasonable and they are good blades. Have they gone up a lot recently, or are the MK3 blades particularly expensive?
Last edited by: Mike H on Mon 13 Mar 23 at 19:55
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Bobby
Always thought for wiper blades you just measured the size and bought the corresponding size from your local parts shop? Or Costco or whatever? And transfer the wiper arm fitting over if required.
That’s what I have always done?
Would never dream of going to a dealer for a wiper blade.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - martin aston
Bobby we are a dying breed. Let alone buying a whole new unit I bet most people now pay for fitting of new wiper blades.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Rudedog
Next you'll be telling us that you don't go to the dealers to buy your screen-wash... Jez!!
>> Bobby we are a dying breed. Let alone buying a whole new unit I bet
>> most people now pay for fitting of new wiper blades.

Does no-one else just buy the rubbers? It grieves me when the blade also needs replacing.
I used to just buy the rubber bit but stopped mainly they were pretty poor and didn't last as long as a decent branded one. That and the rubber wiper was held on with clips and fiddly to do. The cost wasn't much different either.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Bromptonaut
>> I used to just buy the rubber bit but stopped mainly they were pretty poor
>> and didn't last as long as a decent branded one. That and the rubber wiper
>> was held on with clips and fiddly to do. The cost wasn't much different either.

That's exactly my experience. Clips and differences in blade profile made it more bother than it was worth.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Zero
Bobby - Think your car is fitted with Aerotwins, Changing just the rubber is not possible.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 14 Mar 23 at 09:29
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Bobby
Cheers Zero.
I never change purely rubber, always wipers themselves.
But you have prompted me now, pretty sure I have replaced the wipers in the 3 and a half years I have had the car but can’t remember doing so!
>>Have they gone up a lot recently, or are the MK3 blades particularly expensive?

They have shot up! IIRC I paid Cox Motorparts under £45+ del for 3 wipers in 2021.
The £72 figure is Honda List of Fixed Price Repairs on their website

www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/repairs.html

Eye watering prices
Yes but that price includes fitting at an exorbitant cost. When I changed the Civic air and pollen filters I bought original parts from Cox for under £30 each and fitted them in minutes. Having done it once it would have taken less than five minutes to do them again. On the fixed price supply and fit is just over £60 for each filter. A big hidden labour charge.

These small items were always over priced. On the other hand their charges for an actual service were reasonable. Especially when I used to get free MoT and breakdown cover within the standard Honda service price.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Manatee
Both my Japanese cars have hybrid wipers, and Delco hybrids are identical to the originals. The originals are about £48 a pair, but if I can find Delco online I buy them for half the price. Wiper Blades UK and Eurocarparts/Carparts4less have had them in the past, but recently I could only get them from Opie Oils. Maybe Hondas are similar to Mazdas and Mitsubishis

Michelin Stealth ones are good and similar construction/style but stand off a bit more so are my second choice. They are cheap at Costco.

The wipers on the Roomie have some weird fitting and I just get Bosch or Valeo from Wiper Blades UK for that.

I pay attention to price because I hate sub-par wipers and change them fairly often, probably every year or so.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 14 Mar 23 at 22:52
Anyone else carry a spare wiper blade in the car? I once lost one on the M4 on a Sunday night. Fortunately the passenger side (smaller) fitted well enough to get me home.

My current Yaris has an enormous, single, pantograph type wiper on the front. There's a spare in the boot!
>>Anyone else carry a spare wiper blade in the car?

No, but it's a thought. I do incline to the belt and braces.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Zero
>> Anyone else carry a spare wiper blade in the car?

Of course not, any more than I would carry bailing wire, insulating tape, spare points and condenser. It's 1950s motoring thinking. Never had a wiper drop off in 100s thousands of motoring miles
>>Never had a wiper drop off in 100s thousands of motoring miles

It does feel like a very unlikely eventuality. I've lost an entire wiper arm, had a bust linkage, and a failed motor. But not a lost blade.

One thing I won't travel without is a water pump plier:) The bodgers' favourite.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Robin O'Reliant
These days, anything I can't fix by the roadside with cable ties is left to the RAC.
The wipers arrived - a day or so late but well packed.

The fronts are OK so just needed the the rear - unpacked it and put it alongside the "old Genuine Honda Wiper" - they looked identical - even down to the etching on the black plastic of the wiper.

1 min needed to swap the 2 wipers perfect fit first time.

Will Bosch last as long as the Honda blade? Only time will tell but at 1/4 of the price the Bosch wipers seem "good value"
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - legacylad
>> These days, anything I can't fix by the roadside with cable ties is left to
>> the RAC.
>>
That’s very ambiguous.
I’d be more careful what you post :-)
I once got into my car with a snow-covered windscreen and turned the wipers on. The sound of the moving arms followed ….but the screen didn’t clear. It took a few seconds to realise that some swine had nicked my wiper blades. Ever since, whenever I change the wipers I stick the old ones in the spare wheel well as a short term spare.
Of course I have never had to use them so it’s proved a pointless precaution. But one day….
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Duncan
>> whenever I change the wipers I stick the old ones in the spare wheel well as
>> a short term spare.
>> Of course I have never had to use them so it’s proved a pointless precaution.
>> But one day….
>>

That's not a bad idea.

Do you keep anything else in the spare wheel well? What about a spare wheel?
Yes a space saver spare wheel and lots of bits of dubious practical use. Shame forbids me from itemising a Kim’s game of stuff.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - maltrap
My essentials in the wheel well are :- telescopic wheel brace, small tin of WD40, assorted cable ties, duct tape, work gloves hi vis waistcoat small selection of spanner’s,jump leads.
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - CGNorwich
No wheel or indeed wheel well. Any problems I’ll call the AA :-)
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - Kevin
>No wheel or indeed wheel well. Any problems I’ll call the AA :-)

Take a book or something to keep you occupied until they turn up.

www.thesun.co.uk/motors/21758569/left-freezing-motorway-10-hours/
 Honda CR-V III - Cost of genuine Honda wiper blades - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Take a book or something to keep you occupied until they turn up.
>>

...keep it in the wheel well...?

(...ah, no, that won't work...)
>> Yes a space saver spare wheel and lots of bits of dubious practical use. Shame
>> forbids me from itemising a Kim’s game of stuff.

Glad I'm not the only one, although I've removed the spare oil and water. Reckon it's because I used to run old clunkers.
Latest Forum Posts