Motoring Discussion > Insurance - main driver = proposer? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 9

Insurance - main driver = proposer? - Cliff Pope
We are going through a complicated process of trying to compare options and quotes to put our 17 year old daughter onto our second car policy.

She has been driving for about 6 months with a provisional licence, as a 3rd named driver on my wife's policy. We are thinking of changing cars, so are putting in various hypothetical options into quote comparison sites. I have been warned that a competitive premium for a provisional driver can suddenly rocket when the person passes the test, so have been testing the effect on premiums by pretending that she had already passed the test.

Even when she passes, this will not be a case of "fronting". She will be a genuine secondary user, but perhaps becoming a more frequent driver later. At some point in a year or so she may take over the car as main driver, which obviously we would declare.

As a secondary driver on my wife's policy, there is no problem. But could she be or become the main driver on that policy, or would she then have to become the proposer in her own right? Some sites seem to allow that option, others don't. Would my wife's NCD still be valid if our daughter became the main driver? Who gets the discount - the main driver or the proposer?

We are going round in circles arguing about it, and trying to compare hypothetical quotes. But the best quotes change from day to day, so no comparison is ever real.
Anyone any thoughts on these matters?
 Messages Author Date
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Cliff Pope 20 Jan 11 09:16
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Old Sock 20 Jan 11 09:23
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new sherlock47 20 Jan 11 09:34
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Zero 20 Jan 11 09:49
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new commerdriver 20 Jan 11 10:13
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Cliff Pope 20 Jan 11 12:05
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Mike H 20 Jan 11 11:15
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Bill Payer 20 Jan 11 23:40
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new IJWS14 21 Jan 11 08:31
 Insurance - main driver = proposer? new Bill Payer 21 Jan 11 12:25