Computer Related > modem problem or isp? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Felix Replies: 86

modem problem or isp? - Felix
hi
Got home yesterday to find i couldnt connect to the interweb anymore. Cant work out whats wrong. Its not the pc- cant connect from either of our 2 pcs. Weve got a netgear adsl wireless router dg834g v3. The wireless signal claims to be fine but internet light on the router just flashes amber periodically. Isp - tiscali - claims no service problem and still do this morning tho not sure if i can trust them. So any idea what i can do? Do modems just fail sometimes? Dont want to shell out for a new one if its my isp's problem...
Thanks
 modem problem or isp? - Zero
Have you rebooted the router?

I had problems with my Netgear dg834v4 very recently on tiscali, (now talk talk of course) not finding the DNS - connected ok but web sites often timed out.

Anyway hows your Phone line? any noise? nice and clear? Dont trust the service bulletins, - Notoriously unreliable. Phone them up if its not back by this evening - keep rebooting the router during the day,
 modem problem or isp? - Manatee
I'm not familiar with your router but is the amber light showing no ADSL sync? If so it could be a line problem (or a router problem).

Is your phone line noisy (press a button to get rid of the dial tone and listen). If there is a noticeable buzz then report a line fault (don't mention the internet issue, just tell them you have a poor line)

We have a relatively poor line, and despite much to-ing and fro-ing with BT and the ISP, we still get drop outs when it rains because we lose the ADSL sync.

You might try different phone sockets as well, if you can get it to work on one but not another then it suggests a local/line rather than an ISP problem. The main socket should be the best bet.

Whenever I moan to the ISP they have me unplugging all the other "equipment" - it never makes any difference, but you could try that. You'll have to tell the ISP you've tried that anyway before they'll do anything else or pass it to BT.

And always try a restart as Zero suggests.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 10:38
rebooted modem countless times. Replaced adsl filter splitter. Tried reinstalling router and 1st thing it tells me is i havent got an adsl connection before i enter any isp details. Oh and tried a different ethernet cable. Talk tslk support were hopeless. Think a new router would be a waste of money? I'm confused
whats your telephone like? lift the handset, press a button to get rid of the dial tone and listen for buzzes clicks or hissing.

In all honesty it sdounds like a talk talk or line problem
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 11:38
line sounds ok to my untrained ear. A very quiet buzz but i'm sure thats there all the time. Talk talk denied they had a problem in barely intelligible english. But now ive reinstalled the router it doesnt even know im with talk talk and complains abojt adsl connection at very first install step so dont think i can blame them
The DG834 autodetects ADSl settings. All you need to enter is your userid and password.

If its not detecting the ADSL its simply not there. Its either the router or the line/isp. My money is on the later,

Oh and a feint buzz is not right. Mine is silent.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 12:07
>>If its not detecting the ADSL its simply not there. Its either the router or the line/isp.

The ISP can't do anything to prevent the ADSL sync. It's the router, or the line - which could include local interference, or noisy line outside the house.

If you can borrow a know good modem router then you'll only have to plug it in to see if it syncs. If it does, it's your Netgear that's gone faulty. If it doesn't, it's some variety of line problem.

I had an earlier Netgear that went faulty, intermittently at first which made it difficult to diagnose. It got very hot and I think that stuffed it in the end. The BT bloke suggested I got a Voyager 2110 as they will put up with a very poor S/N ratio. I've had many fewer problems since. Unfortunately they are now obsolete.

It might be worth asking Talk Talk to send you a new router FOC. This worked for a colleague. He did offer to terminate his contract of they didn't.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 12:40
>> The ISP can't do anything to prevent the ADSL sync. It's the router or the
>> line - which could include local interference or noisy line outside the house.

Except the DSLAM and all its bits and bobs can cut off your synch signal.

>>>> Except the DSLAM and all its bits and bobs can cut off your synch signal.

True- they could in effect remove your ADSL. Perhaps I should have qualified that, especially as it's Talk Talk. They should know if they've done though.

I'll bet on the router ;-)
i dont even get as far as entering username and password when it tells me i dont have an adsl connection. So surely must be modem or line? I just unearted an ages old speedtouch broadbabd modem i got when i joined tiscali... But told me it couldnt get a dialing tone. Stranger and stranger
ok i got bt to test my line, no fault. With this old modem i get error 680 - no dial tone. With the router the install wizard tells mei have no adsl connection even before i enter username and password. I have swapped pcs, filtrrs and ethernet cables. isp denies any fault. Please, anyone any idea what i should try? I'm at my wits end... Thanks
have you loggedinto your router?

www.routerlogin.net
password (if default) is admin

what does it say?

what you using to post on here BTW?
>> what you using to post on here BTW?
>>
SWMBO's GPRS phone... Rather slowly
 modem problem or isp? - spamcan61
If possible try setting it up with the router plugged directly in to the BT master socket, to eliminate any possibility of internal wiring / filter problems.
I think you probably need to keep on at the ISP. They'll jerk you around plugging and unplugging things for a while but if it needs BT to sort a line issue then they're the only people who can instigate it. BT won't help you direct unless there's a problem with voice calls.

If it turns out to be the router there's a good chance you can get them to send you one free if you're out, or nearly out, of contract.

If you want to carry on investigating on your own there's lots of detail stuff on the web (assuming you have access to it as you are posting here!)

e.g. www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 20 Mar 10 at 15:50
thanks for the ideas... I've got myself a new router and upgraded to make it feel like i've not wasted my money. I'll give it a go tomorrow
hi manatee... Or anyone
Well i tried my new router. Same result. I read the stuff on your link and got profoundly depressed. It didnt give me much hope that theres a solution. Is there really anything talktalk can - or will - do? Surely theyll just blame bt and then what do i do? I cant understand how ive never had a problem in years of having broadband and now total failure
 modem problem or isp? - Iffy
I don't understand the technicalities, but is changing ISP the solution?

Say you go with Sky, it will either work or it will not, and then surely Sky would prevail upon BT?

I only mention Sky because that's my ISP.

Cheapo wireless modem - the box it came in was heavier - not the fastest, drops out now and again.

But on the plus side, I've had no bother that unplugging it and starting it again hasn't fixed.

>> I don't understand the technicalities but is changing ISP the solution?
>>
Don't know but seems like a drastic last resort... Takes weeks doesnt it? And how do i know itll fix this problem? Btw i've tried the test socket, same result
 modem problem or isp? - Iffy
How about a PAYG dongle?

My Vodafone one is nearly as fast as my not particularly fast Sky connection.

That would keep you connected, buying you time to sort the ISP/line problem.

Your contract is with the ISP. They buy part of your service from BT (some of the the equipment in the exchange could be theirs or BT's, but the 'last mile', the copper and/or aluminium to your house, is BT's).

The ISP in my experience is reluctant to pass the job to BT because they incur a cost if there's no fault found on the BT circuit or equipment - they want to make sure the fault is not elsewhere (which it often is - if they passed all the calls over straight off, they'd get charged for all the problems with customers' routers etc.). So they will have you going through all the hoops of unplugging all your phones, using the master socket, etc. You can now tell them that you have another router that won't sync either so that should move things along a bit faster.

Call them and tell them it doesn't work. Stay with it, painful as it is.

Are you far from the exchange? I have a poor line and speed anyway, and my ISP (Virgin) tried to tell me at one point that the line length was the problem and they couldn't provide a service and they would cancel the contract! However if you have had decent speeds before this shouldn't arise.

You aren't beaten until you give in - so don't!
dont know where our local exchange is. How do i find out? Having said that we're 1/2 mile from the middle of a smallish town so can't imagine its that far. And our service has been pretty good uo to now. Fast enoug for iplayer at hi res most of the time. Is it possible that our neighbours would be having problems too? Havent asked yet.
 modem problem or isp? - Dog
I'm no ex pert - just trying to help ...
can you beg, borrow or steal a laptop and try that with its own modem to see if you get a dial tone.
If that doesn't work & the fact that you've bought a new router, I'd ask Tiscali for a MAC - that'll get em moving!
i've already tried combinations of 2 pcs, 2 wireless routers and 1 usb modem so i dont think thats going to work unfortunately. I'm supposed to be getting a call from talktalk sometime today and if they aren't helpul then you can bet i'll be asking for a mac...tho i'm dreading the process a bit
Look, as I said the problem is the line or the DSLAM at the exchange. YOu have now proved it by buying a new router.

Tell them - clearly and as patiently as you can. "I have proved it is the line and or the exchange by buying a new router The problem is with your Service I insist you fix it by calling out Openreach"
that's exactly what i intend to do zero. Tho from my 1st call to them yesterday i fear itll be hard. Dont know where their call centre is but the guy was unintelligible. Does anybody have similar experience to suggest my isp should be able to fix it easily enough?
 modem problem or isp? - swiss tony
>> Dont know where their call centre is but the guy was unintelligible. Does anybody have similar experience to suggest my isp should be able to fix it easily enough?
>>
call centre as a guess is India, Im sure the pushy sales office is...

Im sure the fix will be easy, its the getting them to do it will (as you fear) be the hard bit.
I had huge problems with NTL, it cosy me over £50 in mobile calls (I didnt have a landline) before getting mine fixed, and that turned out to be a simple throwing the wrong switch when a neighbour left them (he still had his line they turned mine off!)

A tip... get a name of the person dealing, and ask, nay demand, to speak to a supervisor if you think your banging your head against a wall....
failing all that Charles Dunstone, is your man, he is CEO, and his Email is on Google, if you cant find it, get the mods to mail me....
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sun 21 Mar 10 at 10:36
 modem problem or isp? - John H
Talktalk have an excellent members forum where you can get technicians to take ownership of your problem. Search for talktalk members forum.
If that gets you nowhere then search for talktalk problems forum.
If all that fails then talktalk publish the email email address of the chief exec on the parent company's website allowing you to contact him direct. Easily found but ask swiss tony if you can't.
Assuming you can still access the router itself via wireless then might be interesting to run through step 9 ( only) in this guide and see what the connection status is;-

www.nildram.net/support/section/router-_-netgear-dg834|dg834g/2/
 modem problem or isp? - Stuartli
Have a look at:

broadband.talktalk.co.uk/help/questions/TEC_02_18
....and:

www.talktalk.co.uk/help/broadband/connecting-your-router-to-talktalk-broadband.html
>> ....and:
>>
>> www.talktalk.co.uk/help/broadband/connecting-your-router-to-talktalk-broadband.html
>>
erm, I'm feeling a bit stupid but do you know if the statement here

"We sent your TalkTalk broadband username and password to you in a letter when you joined TalkTalk. If you can't find this letter or can't remember your details, please call our automated service on 0870 0875 562 at any time from your TalkTalk home phone line.

The TalkTalk broadband username and password that you enter into your router are different to the username and password you use for My Account and your TalkTalk email. They are only used in your router to connect you to the TalkTalk broadband network."

applies to former Tiscali customers too? I long since lost any letter I got from Tiscali, and thought that met username/password were the same as my email account! I'll try this number when I get home but wonder if it'll work.
sorry, think I've discovered the answer myself elsewhere on the talktalk site, it seems I was right - my account username/password ARE the same as my email address.

In this case I'll have my moan now about the level of service I got from their "tech support" last night. Even though I explained until I was blue in the face that I had checked and swapped every piece of equipment, they stubbornly refused to do anything until they have paid me a home visit during office hours. I couldn't believe this, and it's unbelieveably inconvenient, I can't take time off at the drop of a hat. Does anyone think this is really necessary or are they just deliberately being awkward? Is this the point at which I ask for a Mac?
If you are a "Tiscali taken over by talktalk" customer then yes your router logon and password ARE the same as the one for your email.

Talk Talk sacked all the Tiscali support staff, and have NO idea how to support ex tiscali customers.

Talk Talk really are a bunch of cowboys,
>>> Talk Talk really are a bunch of cowboys, <<<

AOL really are a bunch of cowboys (IMO)
>>
>> Talk Talk really are a bunch of cowboys
>>
I'd heard dire stories about their support (though had herard the same about Tiscali before that), though TBH while i've had no issues it hadn't mattered too much. So, do you think they are just stalling by insisting on a home visit? I pretty much followed your script...!

"I have proved it is the line and or the exchange by buying a new router The problem is with your Service I insist you fix it by calling out Openreach"

though might have fallen down on politeness and patience :-). I called them back twice to speak to a supervisor, but both times after being put on hold they hung up!!! It seems they refuse to believe my explanation. I really could do without the hassle of changing ISPs right now (this will encourage me to switch though sometime in the near future!) and just want my problem solved. Is this the point I should email Charles Dunstone? As I said I don't seem to be able to register on the support forum - is this a case of tiscali customers being 2nd class citizens?
>>..it seems I was right - my account username/password ARE the same as my email address...

But not for kosher TT customers...:-)
aaargh! After a lot of frustration on the phone last night, no joy, I'll spare the details now. I tried signing onto this forum but seemed it didn't recognise my Customer Account Code :-( does it allow former tiscali customers?????
I'm getting lost in this thread now; what is the connection status on the Netgear now? ADSL line present but no sync? sync but login incorrect?
Sorry it's a bit of a protracted saga. I've tried 3 different modems (as well as 3 different ADSL filterrs). My original Netgear (I reset it back to factory settings just in case), I went and bought a new Belkin wireless-N one, and tried an old Speedtouch USB modem. In all cases (using a wired network connection), I was able to connect PC to modem, but the ADSL light on the 2 wireless routers flashed before going out suggesting (I think) it couldn't sync, while I got a ("no dial tone present" error trying the USB modem. I use a shortish phone extension cable which has never been a problem before, but I tried going direct into the main socket and test socket with same results.
OK, so if you plug in the Netgear and access its settings via the step 9 I posted above, what is the connection status reported as?
I don't think I did exactly that step (I tried so many things I lost track) but mainly used the Netgear-supplied install wizard which showed that the PC-modem (wired) connection was fine but that that point it reported it couldn't establish an ADSL connection. Ditto with the Belkin one, which gave an option in its install wizard to supply Talktalk/Tiscali details to it as well as my account details, which the modem accepted but then failed at the point it tried to establish ADSL connection. It listed a set of parameters (VCI, VPI, etc....) which all had values consistent with information I found on Talktalk's website.
 modem problem or isp? - scousehonda
Felix

I haven't read the whole of this thread but you are obviously having a problem (or problems) with your system and several well meaning posters are suggesting various remedies which don't seem to be making things better. Have you considered calling on the services of a PC expert who would almost certainly be able to get you back to normal comparatively quickly. When things go wrong on my system I try to fix them myself (I am pretty much a novice in PC terms) but as soon as I realise that the fault is beyond me I call on a local PC doctor who is absolutely first class and has never charged me more than £30 for his labour - well worth paying to maintain my sanity.
>> Have you considered calling on the services of
>> a PC expert who would almost certainly be able to get you back to normal
>> comparatively quickly. When things go wrong on my system I try to fix them myself
>> (I am pretty much a novice in PC terms) but as soon as I realise
>> that the fault is beyond me I call on a local PC doctor who is
>> absolutely first class and has never charged me more than £30 for his labour -
>> well worth paying to maintain my sanity.
>>

It did occur to me that getting someone in to poke about might lower the blood pressure more effectively than dealing with the ISP's 'support' team.
>>
>> It did occur to me that getting someone in to poke about might lower the
>> blood pressure more effectively than dealing with the ISP's 'support' team.
>>
I had thought about that and I'd do it if I had the slightest suspicion that the problem was at my end. I'm no internet geek but I'm moderately computer savvy (I'm a systems engineer so have to be) and able to follow a logical approach to problem solving. All this will do is confirm that my ISP has to sort out their end or the exchange and no PC expert I hire can help with that (I think).
What I would do (in your position) is to apply for a MAC - then they'll pull out all the stops for you.
You don't have to actually use a MAC if you change your mind.
You could always give this a go ~
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=31132393#post31132393
Its a Free 30 min tech help session - no card details needed.
Maybe I'm hopelessly weak, but I posted on the talktalk support forum and reluctantly consented to a home visit, at least it's on a saturday. Assuming they own up to it being their problem after that and agree to fix it straight away then I'll let them off.
 modem problem or isp? - L'escargot
Is there anything in the Solwise website which might help? For example tinyurl.com/y95kxqe
the next chapter in the saga... After the talktalk engineer visited today i was a bit happier. Took him 10 minutes to agree my equipment was fine and he said it would be fixed between them and bt in 48 hours, no need for a bt engineer to visit. Then an hour later got a call from talktalk saying the fault would not be progessed any further unlessi arranged a bt engineer home visit, only zvailable appointments during the day. I slightly lost my rag at this point. There is no logical reason for this is there? They are just taking the proverbial aren't they? I have to get a mac code don't i, if only to galvanize them into action
this is progress. It means they finally admit its a line problem.
I agree with Zero. They won't pass it to BT unless they have established it's a BT problem, to avoid charges to themselves for no fault found.

It sounds as if only BT can sort your ADSL out, and I'm not surprised they don't do out of hours.

If you transfer to another ISP, chances are you'll still have the ADSL problem and you'll still need the BT visit.
yes but why should they insist on another home visit? That's what riles me. I thought that these problems were almost always at the exchange
Not when it comes to a line. Most line problems are down the hole or up the pole between you and the exchange. So it makes sense to start at the end of all the poles and holes - your place.
 modem problem or isp? - Aretas
I guess someone is being stupidly careful about who pays. As far as I know, if the BT guy finds the fault in your home then he will charge someone (you?) around £120.
>> I guess someone is being stupidly careful about who pays. As far as I know
>> if the BT guy finds the fault in your home then he will charge someone
>> (you?) around £120.
>>
That doesn't make sense though. The fault is somewhere downstream of the main (only) phone socket in the house which belongs to BT (and also exhibits itself on the test socket). This belongs to BT doesn't it, even though it's on my property.
You need to play this like a 94 lb mirror carp - keep your head, when everyone else is losing theirs.
When the dust has settled - go for the jugular!
Keep a record of all fone calls, emails, times & dates, names etc., etc.
Then start the battle for compensation with Ofcom/Otelo.
I did, took 1 year with legal help (swmbo) result = £170.
 modem problem or isp? - Aretas
I made my comment about the BT cost as I was told this when I had problems. I made me do a thorough check in my house to make sure I was not the culprit - in my instance it was me.
Well, well.... BT openreach man turned up this afternoon and, surprise surprise, found no fault on the line. Even more remarkably, when I reconnected my router, it managed to sync and so I am managing to type this at home. So, given that talktalk already conceded there was no fault with my equipment, it rather goes to prove it was their fault all along.
What's more, the guy told me I only have a 0.5Mbps connection to the exchange! I'm assuming it hasn't always been like that as I think I might have noticed before now - I was never worried enough about my speed before to do a speed test. I don't know what speed you need for decent iplayer performance but it seems to spend a lot of time buffering.....
Ya need at least 2mb for video like youtube.
Give ths a whirl shirl ~ www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
well it came up with 528 kpbs (strange that that's fractionally better than 0.5 but who's arguing). Pretty carp really. The BT openreach guy told me my ISP should be able to give me a really good speed, reckoned I should get something like 5 given I'm supposed to have an 8 Mbps contract. Chance would be a fine thing
I get 2meg from my "up to" 8mb, but I'm using an old Speedtouch modem which does what I want ok.
It might be an idea to pose your question on a computer forum, Like this one ~ forums.computeractive.co.uk/index.php
 modem problem or isp? - smokie
I have many experiences in business with BT where you report a fault, then magically everything starts working, but they say that they found nothing wrong.
My Modem connects at anything from 5.9 to 7.1 mb, and I get actual speeds of 5.1 to 6.1 mb from my 8mb link.
You're just making me jealous! On the (former) tiscali users forum there are loads of complaints from people whose speeds have been drastically reduced in the past few weeks and I fear I'm now amongst them. But 0.5 is just ridiculous. I've had it, I'll ask for a mac tomorrrow :-(
500kbps is not enough for iplayer. That's about the speed I get most of the time and it can take 2 hours to download a half hour programme. Trying to watch them streaming is hopeless.

There are one or two people in my village who see 2Mbps but most of us are below 1Mbps. The fact that some people have a better line than others is not seen as grounds by BT for them to 'fix' the slower ones.

If you could watch iplayer before then something unhelpful has occurred. If they have been swappng connections around and you end up with an unbalanced pair, you are likely to experience a slower connection; or damage to the cable at some point can have the same effect. It's the luck of the draw to some extent - BT seem still to regard ADSL as an incidental bonus, when my connection went belly up 3 or 4 years ago they tried to deem my line 'unsuitable' and I had a real job to persuade them to work on it. As I sit here I am getting 481kbps down, which is about as good as it gets at busy times. The chances of them laying fibre here are nil, unfortunately.
 modem problem or isp? - rtj70
When I first got cable broadband it was 500kbps... then soon after 600. Then upgraded to 1Mbit/s, 2Mbit/s, 4Mbit/s and finally 10Mbit/s. All for the same price.

For the new house (if it works out) I might go with BT Infinity plus Sky for TV though. But not 100% decided yet. Virgin Media will be cheaper no doubt and I know it's good but that's not the only consideration.

I hope BT Infinity gets rolled out fairly widely. With fibre optic connections to the new cabinet the distance to the exchange is not relevant anymore. It's very similar to how cable broadband works except it's VDSL and not DOCSIS.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 21:43
>> There are one or two people in my village who see 2Mbps but most of
>> us are below 1Mbps. The fact that some people have a better line than others
>> is not seen as grounds by BT for them to 'fix' the slower ones.

And there is reason for that. You dont pay for a Quality of Service (QoS). You pay for a voice grade line, then you pay for someone to connect internet to that voice grade line.

If you want to specify a data line, BT will oblige and lay a new line to your house, at megabugs cost, megabucks rental, and a guaranteed data thruput.

IN the home data game, no-one guarantees anything. - Far too many variables to cost out.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 21:58
you seem to be unanimous that this must be BT's fault. That's in spite of the test they carried out which said what a potentially good line I had. Well I guess they would say that wouldn't they I suppose. I'm feeling very depressed about this, realy don't know what to do anymore. I guess from what you're saying I'd be wasting my time with another ISP, I'd get the same rubbish service. Is there any way I can find out before committing? There may be a chance I could get fibre here perhaps, maybe that's my only salvation?
I wonder if it's possible to get BT to measure the speed capability between your house and the exchange / DSLAM, if the line is capable of several Mb/s then an ISP should be able to provide a reasonable speed connection over that line. If your ISP won't do that because of deliberate or accidental bottlenecks upstream then sounds like it's time to move on.

I live fairly out in the sticks and get 4 - 5 MB/s so this seems typical for an old twisted pair line.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 22:15

>> If they have been
>> swappng connections around and you end up with an unbalanced pair you are likely to
>> experience a slower connection; or damage to the cable at some point can have the
>> same effect.
But wouldn't either of these shown up as faults in BT's line check? That's what I don't understand! They tell me I should be able to get 5meg or so and that it must be TT's fault that i can't. Or are they just lying????
Felix, what data rate has your Modem/router logged on at?

500mbs as your thruput does however fit rather too well. Thats not a random number. I wonder if Talkalisci chopped your rate down to a minimum in an attempt to resolve your issue?

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 22:39
Oh and a freind of mine, his line from his house to the pole broke. Fell int he road. Got run over and mangled up as well. Quite convenient really, his previously poor internet improved immensley after BT fixed it.
>> Oh and a freind of mine his line from his house to the pole broke.
>> Fell int he road. Got run over and mangled up as well. Quite convenient really
>> his previously poor internet improved immensley after BT fixed it.
>>

That's given me an idea...
Can you explain further what was said Felix? At 17.14 you said BT told you that you had only 0.5Mbps not 5Mbps?

Does your router give you line stats? Look for the downstream attenuation which will give a steer to likely possible rate. My downstream attenuation invariably shows as 60dB, which makes me think it's the maximum for the display and it' actually a bit higher. 56dB or less is desirable for a "stable" service according to some sources.

Noise margin may be shown as well - 12dB or higher is the usual quoted requirement - mine is currently 11.7dB. Line rate is shown as 896Kbps down. That said, it's been up for 3 days, so it's reasonably stable, just not very fast.

If your line stats are much better than this, look to the ISP.

You have my sympathy - I don't think I'll see higher speeds for some time, unless I move house.

Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 31 Mar 10 at 22:42
...and try a speedtester to get a figure, upstream and downstream. www.speedtest.net is very easy to use, and clear. Try at different times and post up the results. Maybe someone misinterpreted a figure.

Use a UK site as target. London gave me nearly double what Milton Keynes gavce me a minutre ago. London being 19.81Mb/s, on a Virgin 20mb :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 1 Apr 10 at 00:02
with speedtest.net, download speed of 0.5Mbps on the button. Nothing if not consistent with what BT told me it would be! Now where's my dialup modem.............
Here you go...

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 279748 417655 0 649 9707 13:53:27
LAN 10M/100M 23959 0 0 79 0 14:04:50
WLAN 54M 417442 306409 0 9716 720 14:04:40

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 22 db 27 db

so, my downstream attenuation is below your 56dB threshold and noise margin is relatively high so by what you're saying, this is a question for talktalk, yes?

What the BT openreach engineer said (and I might have scrambled his words a bit so apologies - computers I understand OK, but this side of it I don't really) was that my connection to the exchange was limited to 0.5 mbps which he advised I talk to my ISP about, whereas according to his tests (and I'm not far from the exchange) my line should support something much much higher, more like 5 or more. Hope that makes sense?
 modem problem or isp? - Pat
Morning felix, looks like it's just me and thee this morning!

It might be informative to run this test from the link I've provided.
It tells you what other speeds your neighbours are getting in your local area.

top10.com/broadband/speedtest/

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 1 Apr 10 at 07:23
I like that test Pat. I have the fastest in town! :-)

Def worth getting onto your ISP Felix.
 modem problem or isp? - Crankcase
:) I like that test too. 74.3Mb download, 42.2Mb upload.

Not really fair though, as this isn't a domestic link.

>> so my downstream attenuation is below your 56dB threshold and noise margin is relatively high
>> so by what you're saying this is a question for talktalk yes?

Yes. Your line speed may have been set low to try and fix your problem, as Zero said, but the attenuation and noise margin figures suggest it can support a much higher speed as I understand it (from a pal who spent 20 years 'inventing' this stuff with BT).

>>
>> What the BT openreach engineer said...
>> was that my connection to the exchange was limited to 0.5 mbps which he advised
>> I talk to my ISP about whereas according to his tests (and I'm not far
>> from the exchange) my line should support something much much higher more like 5 or
>> more. Hope that makes sense?

Yes.
Thanks Manatee, the help's much appreciated and I'm sorry that it sounds like your problem would be much harder to fix
The plot thickens... I have been told by TT that "Your connection was put on a 0.5Mmbs profile for testing purposes only, this has now been changed". This is a bit depressing, since it seems obvious that by doing this they somehow "fixed" the original problem, and so I fully expect that it'll be broken again when I get home tonight.
No I suspect not.

As I said, one of the first things Tiscatalk will do to find the problem is ratchet your speed down. This didnt fix it.

BT showed up said there was no problem but Bingo its fixed (as smokie said, when I was dealing with BT I dont think they ever admited a problem but it always magically fixed itself)

Tiscali can now ratchet your speed up again. and you should be ok

As I said days and days and several posts ago - It was a line fault.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Apr 10 at 12:38
I'll never know now if ratcheting the speed down fixed it or not, I'd tried rebooting my router daily to sync but had given up in disgust the last few days. Maybe you're right but i can't imagine TT standing for that since presumably they'd have been billed for a "no fault found" callout. As it happens the TT forum says that I am currently synced at 3.2meg so fingers crossed it's OK so touch wood this will be the end of a very tortuous thread.

But thanks for all the help guys
Latest Forum Posts