Computer Related > PC mouse sticking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Buddy Replies: 25

PC mouse sticking - Buddy
I got a Kensington wireless mouse which works intermittently. Screen cursor sometimes vanishes. Tried fiddling with reset buttons on both mouse and the receiver box, and cursor (sometimes) reappears. Have replaced batteries. Any suggestions, plse?
 PC mouse sticking - R.P.
Have you got anything that might be conflicting with it for a signal ( keyboard etc ?) is it Infra Red or Bluetooth ?
 PC mouse sticking - Focusless
Does it seem to work better if the mouse is near the box ie. is it related (at least indirectly) to signal strength/quality?
infra-red, and distance fm box doesn't affect performance. Nowt else nearby that could affect signal. Strangely, when I replug in wireless mouse (used normal one to post), it seems to work fine but for just few secs.. then freezes (cursor vanishes).
All help much appreciated - thanks people.
Can you try it on another machine, to rule out a problem (eg. drivers) specific to your machine?
 PC mouse sticking - spamcan61
If it's infra-red then I'll add energy saving lights to the list of potential interferers.
 PC mouse sticking - MD
>> If it's infra-red then I'll add energy saving lights to the list of potential interferers.
>>
You serious?
 PC mouse sticking - R.P.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 24 Mar 10 at 19:47
absolutely, energy saving bulbs emit significant infra-red which can confuse some devices.
 PC mouse sticking - Bellboy
probably worn out
i had a microdust one a few years back go nuts so its in the cupboard marked i paid for it ive no idea what to do with it but im keeping it ,only thing is this is a BIG cupboard :-(
 PC mouse sticking - MD
Flea Bay
>> absolutely energy saving bulbs emit significant infra-red which can confuse some devices.

sc - isn't infra-red associated with heat, and as ordinary light bulbs run hotter than energy savers, aren't they likely to be more of a problem? Or not, because their emissions are (roughly) constant?
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 24 Mar 10 at 20:11
I must admit I've not looked at the scenario in detail, as you would indeed think filament bulbs would be more of an issue, but me being something of a trainspotter I'm familiar with discussions on a number of forums where model railway controllers which use an infra-red link between a handheld terminal and a base unit have been thoroughly confused by this lightining, the problem has gone away immediately when lights have been switched off.
 PC mouse sticking - ....
I don't know about infra-red but those energy saving bulbs do create a lot of noise on the mains circuit. I run network over mains, when I switch the energy saver bulb in my office on it halves my bandwidth.
>> I run network over mains when I switch the energy
>> saver bulb in my office on it halves my bandwidth.

That's interesting - you mean like the homeplug units which we use chez Focus?
 PC mouse sticking - ....
Not sure what you use, I have TP-Link two pin adapters. Whenever I switch on the energy saver light the connection speed goes through the floor.
>> Not sure what you use I have TP-Link two pin adapters.

Well if they're powerline (=homeplug) adapters then they're like ours; might try some experiments at the weekend...
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 24 Mar 10 at 21:43
>> Well if they're powerline (=homeplug) adapters then they're like ours; might try some experiments at
>> the weekend...

...although even if running at half speed, that's 0.5x85Mbps = 42Mbps, I guess it shouldn't affect our internet speed of 2Mbps which is what I was worried about.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 25 Mar 10 at 07:38
>> I must admit I've not looked at the scenario in detail

Fair enough - did a quick google and came up with this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

"Infrared signals
Electronic devices operated by infrared remote control can interpret the infrared light emitted by CFLs as a signal, this limits the use of CFLs near televisions, radios, remote controls, or mobile phones."

("A compact fluorescent lamp (CFL), also known as a compact fluorescent light or energy saving light")
SQ

>> ("A compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) also known as a compact fluorescent light or energy saving light")

Thanks for doing my homework for me Focus ;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 25 Mar 10 at 10:01
>> Thanks for doing my homework for me Focus ;-)

I should have looked it up before asking the question! Thanks for mentioning it - never heard of it before.
oh silly me - it WAS the batteries (renewed 2 weeks ago), so am gonna buy better quality packs in future! Any recommendations?
Thanks again, people
 PC mouse sticking - ....
Does the Kensington mouse come with any software ?

I have a Logitech Cordless Click mouse, the software on that tells you when the batteries are running low.
nah, t'is abt 3-4 years old and pretty basic, gmc .. works well (with good batteries!), tho'.
 PC mouse sticking - Iffy
...oh silly me - it WAS the batteries (renewed 2 weeks ago)...

I've had a few cheap cordless mice, all of which seem to eat batteries.

Sod's Law dictates the mouse always conks out just when I'm trying to do something to deadline that needs lots of clicks.

The only cordless mouse I've found with a reasonable battery life is a blue, full-size Microsoft-branded one for which I paid about £35 a couple of years ago.

It's cords for me from now on.

I've gone back to corded apart from the one on SWMBO's Dell 5150 which goes for best part of a year on one set of batteries. A couple of months seems more typical on other PCs.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 25 Mar 10 at 19:00
Latest Forum Posts