Computer Related > Where does XP store the HDD size? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Screwloose Replies: 15

Where does XP store the HDD size? - Screwloose
I had a small virus incident [TR/Crypt/X-pack/Gen] a few months ago and, although it was quickly eliminated, the residual damage is now getting on my nerves.

The main problem is, in its attempts to block AVs loading, it changed the registry entry that they must check to see if there's enough available space. [Windows Error code 0000034]

AVG, Ad-aware and other programs [including all my data discs] wouldn't run or re-load, so have been replaced with those that would. [Don't try Sophos - it doesn't run properly and the support is snooty and useless.]

My biggest problem is that Adobe reader is also down; I've tried uninstalling it and re-downloading, but it's still the same - "Insufficient disc space to complete installation." [There's nearly 300Gig free.]

So does anyone know exactly where in the registry XP Pro SP3 keeps the free-space value and roughly what it should be?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 19:41
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - Zero
Have you booted your Windows Cd and tried to fix windows from the recovery console?
Zero

I haven't tried that yet; after losing 10 years worth of accumulated data when the last set-up smoked itself to death, I'm a bit paranoid about losing what I have left.
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - merlin
Sounds like a virus is either still present or the cleanup wasn't 100% leaving the system with issues. I would copy what data I want to keep onto a spare disk drive or whatever, then run Windows recovery/repair. If that doesn't work then reinstall the O/S.
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - John H

>> I haven't tried that yet; after losing 10 years worth of accumulated data when the
>> last set-up smoked itself to death I'm a bit paranoid about losing what I have
>> left.
>>

As you are paranoid, then for your peace of mind my suggestion is that the first thing you do is buy a couple of 1TB 1.5TB or 2TB disks. Then ghost your existing disks to the new ones. Then intall the new ones and start playing about with them rather than risk doing any damage to your current drives.
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - smokie
It could be lying. In my experience you'll often get a message like that when there is really something else wrong with the process - usually related to it not being able to write for SOME reason, but not the one stated. Laziness on the part of the coders.

Are you using an Admin account to install from? And much less likely - is the disk you are trying to write to Read Only? Those are the sorts of problems I've seen when getting that kind of message.

I don't believe there is anything in the registry which holds the disk size. That data is already readily available in the disk properties info, which must be somewhere on the disk (MBR?).

Lastly it's possible (though again unlikely) that it thinks the source files are larger than they really are. But you already re-downloaded it, so unless they are corrupt on the server that's an unlikely cause.

EDIT: And very lastly, are you carrying out a Clean install? I.e. do any of the data files currently exist? (Maybe they are Read Only).
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 18:50
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - Iffy
...My biggest problem is that Adobe reader is also down...

Kinda papering over the cracks, but have you tried to install Foxit Reader?

It's a good, simple, lightweight, free programme and would at least allow you to work on pdf docs while you sort out a permanent solution.

www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php

Iffit

Thanks for that - downloaded and installed fine.

I can read and print PDFs again...!! [No more e-mailing them to the flaptop.]
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - rtj70
This has nothing to do with actual free space. This is calculated when the install checks - it is not stored.

Are you sure the virus is totally removed?
rtj70

That's the unknowable question...

Avira; Malwarebytes; MS Essentials; Trend's Home call; Sophos; Exterminate it; Spybot - and every other AV I could get to run - can't now find anything. [Avira got it and killed it on its first run.]

The annoying thing is that I knew the data CD was infected; I'd had it for years and it always sent AVG etc. scatty. [MS Essentials can't even see it on the CD...] I always switched off the router, installed the program with AVs off, then ran a multiple virus scan to wipe out the trojan. Never had any further problems in about 5 installs of that CD. [It's even installed on the Toughbook; no issues seen.]

This time was the same; until one RAM chip failed weeks later - and XP automatically repaired corrupted files from a restore point containing the bottled-up virus....... With the router connected..!

Needless to say; it phoned home with details of what was installed and all sorts of current nasties arrived.
smokie

>>Are you using an Admin account to install from? Yes; I'm the only user left - the virus removed the separate Admin account.

>>...is the disk you are trying to write to Read Only? I've only got two discs active currently - a mirror RAID pair. [There are 4 others running - but they are not active.]

>>...are you carrying out a Clean install? I uninstalled the programs before re-downloading them - everything often looks fine, until the first run fails.
Last edited by: Screwloose on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 19:37
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - smokie
Do you have a different computer you can put the install files on and try again? Failing that, what is the link to the download (must be the same one), and I will try it here. Sometimes the files are corrupted at t'other end, making the installer think that they are bigger than they really are. I remember something similar with another product and finding a different version to download cured it.
smokie

I re-downloaded Adobe reader 9 from download.com. Tried it a couple of times over a few weeks - other programs flag the same error code, so I don't think it's just a pdf thing.
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - Zero
A raid pair?

update the disk driver software, from your Mb supplier.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 19:53
Zero

Thanks; I had to make a floppy to install XP, so it must be around - somewhere.
 Where does XP store the HDD size? - Aaron C. Rescue
I'd be careful updating M/b RAID firmware on a populated array. Having done this in the past, I've noticed that some of the less-clever upgrades have ripped RAID arrays apart for me before. With striping, this is very bad, though I suspect you are describing a mirrored pair? Fortunately, I (usually) took backups.

Before you do anything else, SL, get some backups in place, if you haven't already.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with the Windows Installer, as all installations fail. Normally though, if the installer is borked, there's an installer-specific message. Strange.

SL, before you go messing with arrays, try this:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

Might help?
Last edited by: Aaron C. Rescue on Sun 11 Apr 10 at 21:40
Latest Forum Posts