Motoring Discussion > Nasty road rage incident Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Leif Replies: 95

Nasty road rage incident - Leif
I had a nasty incident this morning. I'd just come off the M3 at the north Farnborough exit, and as I turned off the roundabout onto a short stretch of dual carriageway a car approached from behind and tailgated me. He was so close it was unnerving. After a second or two he tried to drive between me and the central reservation, I'm not really sure what he thought he was doing. Maybe it was a "get out of my way" gesture. Anyway, I moved left, hooted him, and flashed my lights when he was in front. I don't normally bother, but I was unnerved as I thought he was dangerous. 50m on he slowed to a crawl, so I overtook, and as I did so, he swerved right, as if to drive into me. He missed me, but clearly the aim was to either frighten me, or force me to swerve and crash. It left me shaking, and I got his plate, and car make, and reported the incident to the local police an hour later near home (I spent 20 minutes searching for Farnborough police station which was closed). The police noted that 1 hour after the incident I looked shaken. (Actually I've felt stressed and on edge since. ) I doubt the police can do anything, one report, no witness, but perhaps they will find something to check such as no insurance. I guess it is worth reporting in case they get multiple reports against this person.

I do wonder what kind of person can drive like that. I assume they are a criminal type. A friend had a similar incident, he got out and they beat him up. It was a stolen car driven by a criminal gang.

By the way, please no comments about lane discipline and all that, my positioning was okay, and even if it wasn't, a few seconds wait and he'd have been safely past.
 Nasty road rage incident - Bromptonaut
I'm afraid there are a few nutters out there; very unnerving when you meet one.
 Nasty road rage incident - henry k
>>I'm afraid there are a few nutters out there; very unnerving when you meet one.
>>
IMO an increasing number.

>>Anyway, I moved left, hooted him, and flashed my lights when he was in front.
>>
I have learned to resist any such respose action and get as far away as is reasonable even if it means stopping ( safely).
My doors auto lock at 5mph which helps a little.

The first incident I can recall was decades ago so it is not a new thing.
I a few years I had one incident locally that went on for about 10 minutes.
I was really frightened by this motor cycle rider that I decided it was him or me and if he perished so be it. Fortunately for him his last act was to try and kick my door as he undertook me ( to thick to understand the physics if he had really connected).
It certainly leaves one shaking.
 Nasty road rage incident - zippy
Glad that you are "OK", albeit shaken Leif, there are nutters about and another road rage incident was posted here a few weeks back so perhaps they are increasing?

I picked my eldest up from Uni last night and headed home on the M27.

There was an accident on the section near Portsmouth where it narrows down from 4 to 3 lanes. I wonder if it was caused by someone not letting another car in. It was quite nasty with half a dozen fire engines, 3 police cars and a couple of ambulances. Just makes you think, it doesn't really delay drivers if they are courteous.

I am glad you reported it. The driver may be already known to the police.

Just a random thought, perhaps the driving test should have an "attitude" section.
>> >>I'm afraid there are a few nutters out there; very unnerving when you meet one.
>> >>
>> IMO an increasing number.
>>
>> >>Anyway, I moved left, hooted him, and flashed my lights when he was in front.
>> >>
>> I have learned to resist any such respose action and get as far away as
>> is reasonable even if it means stopping ( safely).
>> My doors auto lock at 5mph which helps a little.

I do normally follow that advice, and very sensible it is too. A friend was involved with a road rage driver. He stopped, they got out and beat him up. The police told him the car was stolen and they were a criminal gang. I think if someone drives like a maniac ... if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it is a duck.
 Nasty road rage incident - spamcan61
>> I'm afraid there are a few nutters out there; very unnerving when you meet one.
>>
Indeed, a few months back some nutter was on the verge of punching my lights out in Sainsbury's car park because I'd dared to be already on a roundabout he wanted to join and I didn't stop and let him out. Reckon he was on drugs or summat, serious anger management issues anyway. I apologies profusely and off he went. Never argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience :-/
 Nasty road rage incident - Focusless
Well done for having the presence of mind to take his number and for reporting it; hopefully they'll get him for something.
 Nasty road rage incident - bathtub tom
Am I missing something here?

>> I turned off the roundabout onto a short stretch of dual carriageway a car approached from behind and tailgated me. He was so close it was unnerving. After a second or two he tried to drive between me and the central reservation

You were on a dual carriageway and he tried to overtake you?

>>Anyway, I moved left

Were you in the outside lane and if so why?

I seem to meet an increasing number of drivers who exit a roundabout onto a dual carriageway straight into the outside lane when the inside's clear. I can't understand why.
 Nasty road rage incident - No FM2R
>>I can't understand why.

Perhaps not. And perhaps every road rage incident involves some transgression or other. That hardly justifies some idiot trying to run you into something though.

I think you may have seized on the wrong bit of the tale. We all make mistakes on the road, but nobody deserves some socially inadequate lowlife trying to kill you, or even harm you, for it.
 Nasty road rage incident - Focusless
And as Leif said, "my positioning was okay, and even if it wasn't, a few seconds wait and he'd have been safely past".
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 17 Nov 12 at 19:57
 Nasty road rage incident - Zero
Entirely depends on how you come off the roundabout, which in turn depends on how and where you enter the roundabout.
Leif also said: I moved left, hooted him, and flashed my lights when he was in front

Whilst I agree there's no place for dangerous driving it may appear the other driver thought Leif was blocking him deliberately and then used his horn and lights in anger.
>> Leif also said: I moved left, hooted him, and flashed my lights when he was
>> in front
>>
>> Whilst I agree there's no place for dangerous driving it may appear the other driver
>> thought Leif was blocking him deliberately and then used his horn and lights in anger.

For your information I was terrified by what happened, I was physically shaking and an hour later I was still in shock. This evening I went for a 10km run and it has helped me calm down. The fact that you are attacking me and saying I might be responsible for the attack does rather astonish me.

Firstly as someone else said, we all make mistakes. I was actually somewhat lost, as the signs are not always easy to read. I came off the roundabout onto a short section of dual carriage way. I was not sure if I was supposed to turn right or left at the end of that short stretch. And there had been cars to my left, hence I was in the right hand lane. Once it became clear where I should go, I moved left, as the lane was clear. Secondly even though I don't think my positioning was at fault, your using a supposed fault on my part to justify downright dangerous driving is out of order. Let's assume my positioning was not perfect, or at least that someone behind thought it was not perfect. That is no excuse for driving dangerously close, then driving to get between them and the central reservation. That is bullying. Normally, I do not flash my lights or hoot, for various reasons, but I thought this chap's driving so dangerous that I did hoot, and flash my lights.

Anyway, I will give you some advice. I have been behind people who I think should move left. I hold back, wait a while, then flash my lights. If they do not move, I again flash my lights. By keeping back, and waiting, I give them time, I do not frighten or bully them, and I remain safe. Maybe you should learn to do likewise rather than being sanctimonious.

By the way, I do agree with those who said that it is usually best not to hoot or flash lights with this kind of driver. In the case of nutters hooting does no good and only makes them angry, as they have anger management issues, and in person they are probably bullies anyway. But on this occasion I forgot!

I will say this, that the copper or civilian police worker I spoke to was very sympathetic, and even if they do nowt, providing a human face to the public does help their image.
>>
>> Anyway, I will give you some advice. I have been behind people who I think
>> should move left. I hold back, wait a while, then flash my lights. If they
>> do not move, I again flash my lights. By keeping back, and waiting, I give
>> them time, I do not frighten or bully them, and I remain safe. Maybe you
>> should learn to do likewise rather than being sanctimonious.
>>
Behaviour which these people might well find intimidating/bullying!
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 17 Nov 12 at 20:46
>> >>
>> >> Anyway, I will give you some advice. I have been behind people who I
>> think
>> >> should move left. I hold back, wait a while, then flash my lights. If
>> they
>> >> do not move, I again flash my lights. By keeping back, and waiting, I
>> give
>> >> them time, I do not frighten or bully them, and I remain safe. Maybe
>> you
>> >> should learn to do likewise rather than being sanctimonious.
>> >>
>> Behaviour which these people might well find intimidating/bullying!

There is video on YouTube of an IAM instructor doing a drive, and he does exactly as I describe. I think it is reasonable behaviour. Anyway, lane hogs tend not to be nutters, just people who lack confidence or awareness, so a little gentle persuasion usually works.
The IAM instructor needs to read rule 110 of the Highway code then:-

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

>> The IAM instructor needs to read rule 110 of the Highway code then:-
>>
>> 110
>>
>> Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are
>> there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road
>> users.

Well thats what he is doing isnt it? "Yoo Hoo - Behind You"
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 17 Nov 12 at 21:36
 Nasty road rage incident - R.P.
I never flash my lights anymore in the way suggested - I used to. I noticed on the Continent, especially in Germany that a right had indicator and hanging back usually has the desired effect - people who are zoned out will return to earth and move over. I was out today on the A55 there was some seriously bad driving/lane discipline for some reason - seems to be getting worse.
Aw c'mon, it's just a vaguely subtle way of saying 'move over'. If we all start flashing the car in front to remind them we're there life will get very tedious.
I never do it. If they want to use lane three thats fine, I shall just pootle through on the inside.
>> I never do it. If they want to use lane three thats fine, I shall
>> just pootle through on the inside.
>>
Same here.
>> I came off the roundabout onto a short section of dual carriage way. I was not sure if I was supposed to turn right or left at the end of that short stretch.

So the other driver behind was hoping to use the 'short stretch' of dual carriageway to pass what he considered a mimser, but was blocked.

I'm sure we've all been there, in both circumstances.

As the 'mimser' I'd have moved left as soon as possible and certainly not done anything to antagonise anyone in a hurry (like using my horn and lights) - good use of mirrors is needed.

In a hurry, I'd hang back to see what the mimser's up to and consider undertaking.
>> >> I came off the roundabout onto a short section of dual carriage way. I
>> was not sure if I was supposed to turn right or left at the end
>> of that short stretch.
>>
>> So the other driver behind was hoping to use the 'short stretch' of dual carriageway
>> to pass what he considered a mimser, but was blocked.
>>
>> I'm sure we've all been there, in both circumstances.
>>
>> As the 'mimser' I'd have moved left as soon as possible and certainly not done
>> anything to antagonise anyone in a hurry (like using my horn and lights) - good
>> use of mirrors is needed.
>>
>> In a hurry, I'd hang back to see what the mimser's up to and consider
>> undertaking.

I will not comment because a) I find your posts offensive, including being referred to as a mimser and b) it is quite clear that you have not read my post and you continue to make assertions based on your assumptions. I can't see the point in repeating what I have already stated. In general I find your manner offensive. I was seriously frightened by what happened, and it is only today that I feel calm and relaxed.
 Nasty road rage incident - Armel Coussine
>> I will not comment because a) I find your posts offensive, including being referred to as a mimser and b) it is quite clear that you have not read my post and you continue to make assertions based on your assumptions.

Leif: bathtub tom didn't call you a mimser. He said the other driver might have considered you a mimser, and on another occasion used inverted commas to show that he himself wasn't judging you a mimser.

Certainly the driving you describe was aggressive and alarming, and slowing down to give someone overtaken a bit of gyp is seriously offensive driving. But in general on the road, someone in a hurry and going fast is operating on a different level to someone bimbling around in their own area. The initial meeting coming out of the roundabout - we've all been there, in both positions, as bt points out - is a bog standard example of 'one man's comfortable cruise is another man's mimsing'. While you were taking 'a few seconds' to get into the nearside lane, that eager beaver was hoping you would do it in one or two seconds. I know the feeling. And I also know the feeling of having bumbled into someone's way. Flashing and hooting was a mistake as both you and bt point out. It distracted your eager beaver from his press-on enterprise and made him waste time and effort giving you a scare. You must know by now that a lot of drivers are idiots. Best not to attract their attention.
To whoever put the frowny face on Leif's post...

What are you on? Agree or don't agree, what in God's name did he write that was offensive?
Leif, I have to say, you do seem to be quite easily offended.
>> Leif, I have to say, you do seem to be quite easily offended.

How would you expect me to react, when I had been in an incident that left me very frightened, and I spent the rest of the day on edge, and jumpy. It is so easy to be an internet expert, never making any kind of mistake, and always being perfect isn't it? Or just to have fun giving someone a kicking. This person was using their car as a weapon. I think his aim in swerving and almost hitting me was to force me to swerve into the central barrier and crash.

There is a big difference between someone who shouts abuse, or makes obscene gestures, and someone who is happy to injure or kill. I've had passengers impressed at how I have ignored abuse (not from them, from other drivers). I had abuse while taking a driving lesson, and while taking an advanced driving lesson, ignored them both. An IAM observer told me he was impressed at my ignoring abuse from a driver behind.

The police have not chased this up, which does not surprise me, since there are no witnesses. Still, given that they are so quick to chase up speeding, it does look a bit off that they ignore an incident which (according to my account) involves intentionally dangerous driving.
Sorry - But

>> This person was using their car as a weapon. I think his aim in
>> swerving and almost hitting me was to force me to swerve into the central barrier
>> and crash.
>>
>> There is a big difference between someone who shouts abuse, or makes obscene gestures, and
>> someone who is happy to injure or kill.

Ok so you are now saying this was attempted murder?

>> I've had passengers impressed at how I
>> have ignored abuse (not from them, from other drivers). I had abuse while taking a
>> driving lesson, and while taking an advanced driving lesson, ignored them both. An IAM observer
>> told me he was impressed at my ignoring abuse from a driver behind.

You seem to attract an awful lot of abuse from behind?

>> no witnesses. Still, given that they are so quick to chase up speeding, it does
>> look a bit off that they ignore an incident which (according to my account) involves
>> intentionally dangerous driving.

Now you are being bitter. leif, for you own good and survival, get a grip man.

Nasty road rage incident - Westpig
I had abuse while taking a
>> driving lesson, and while taking an advanced driving lesson, ignored them both. An IAM observer
>> told me he was impressed at my ignoring abuse from a driver behind.

How often do you get abuse?.....and what are you doing to be in that situation?

>>
>> The police have not chased this up, which does not surprise me, since there are
>> no witnesses. Still, given that they are so quick to chase up speeding, it does
>> look a bit off that they ignore an incident which (according to my account) involves
>> intentionally dangerous driving.
>>
The police will have filed the incident the minute you walked out the door/put the phone down. There are not enough of them to deal with all the crime let alone a traffic matter..and.. Traffic stuff is not a priority. Then, for there to be a successful prosecution you have have to have a certain standard of evidence...and one persons word against another's doesn't achieve that.
Years ago I was Mr. Roadrage. I say this with no pride and no little shame. I would get angry over pretty much any slight, flash my lights, blow my horn, try and get past you etc. etc.

The first thing that happened to help me grow up was moving to Columbia. In Bogota in the early 90s one got shot for that kind of stuff. Not only would they shoot you for offending them, they'd be incredulous that position on the road mattered that much to you.

What that begins is a realisation of two things; firstly an understanding that someone else's driving is a stupid thing to waste your time and temper on, secondly that you might be dealing with a pyscho and you may be yanking his tail. (thirdly I guess is a bit of growing up which leads to all sorts of understanding and maturity).

Those experiences, and others similar, do make me significantly more patient, more tolerant and less volatile (actually totally disinterested in someone else's life choices).

So, I would not flash my lights at someone, nor blow my horn, whatever the situation or provocation, unless I thought that doing so would warn them of an impending accident. Lets be honest, the only people who blow their horn or flash their lights otherwise are the ones who lost out in a situation and they're only doing it because they're feeling frustrated and impotent. And what do they think? I'll flash my lights and blow my horn and he will be so overcome with remorse he'll never do it again?

Its a reaction through anger, as was his. In level, perhaps quite different. But emotionally? Not so much.

So that action is in itself an uncomfortable admission that I am feeling powerless and feeling like I have been bested.

Life's too short. Eventually the idiot fighting to get past will either die or grow up. And given the level of inadequacy he is clearly dealing with, do you really care whether or not he got in front of you or indeed that he feels chuffed with that achievement?

The world is full of dicks. You only torment yourself "fighting" them over things that in truth don't matter. Top of that list would be driving.

All of which being said, levelling any amount of guilt at the abused party is silly. And being in the wrong lane is not sufficient justification for any level of aggression.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:02
 Nasty road rage incident - henry k
Nicely put

>>Life's too short. Eventually the idiot fighting to get past will either die or grow up. And given the level of inadequacy he is clearly dealing with, do you really care whether or not he got in front of you or indeed that he feels chuffed with that achievement?
>>
My thoughts are that I want the guy in front of me so he can rush up the road and if he has a prang it is not happening in my boot.
Meanwhile I can concentrate rather than be distracted wondering where he is or what he will get up to next.

Off you go D Head !
 Nasty road rage incident - Dog
Good post MartincalledMark, I am an ex Mr Roadrage, tis funny to look back now though to a completely different person I knew I was.

It enables me to deal with (ahem) nutters on the road today though, because I know "where they're coming from".

It's just as well my horn is checked at MOT time - because I haven't used it for years.
 Nasty road rage incident - Pat
If Leif was on the junction I think he was, then it is a very small stretch of dual carriageway to the next roundabout where the option is to turn right or left only.

If you are turning right it seems to be common (local) practice there to go straight into the right hand lane, although I think the lane marking, when you get to them, allow for both lanes to turn right.

An easy mistake to make.

Pat
 Nasty road rage incident - -
I'm in Henry's club, when a tailgaiter or other aggressive type is around i want them past me as soon as possible where i can keep an easy eye on them, so keep well to the left and slightly slower than i want to be for a few moments to encourage them past.

Sometimes that close following car that seems to be pushing you turns out to be plod, i and my lad have both experienced this situation early morning in 30/40 limits, so always wary of something that comes up fast and follows too close in the dark...wouldn't want to be encouraged into a nick, perish the thought.
 Nasty road rage incident - Runfer D'Hills
Chin up Leif. Put it down to experience.

As with others here who do a lot of driving my advice for the future is to avoid contact, or at least conflict with any other road users at all costs. It is never ever worth it.

Sounding a horn or flashing lights as a reprimand is never useful.

It will result in one of the following or a combination of the below.

1/ An angry idiot / inadequate
2/ A nervous idiot /inadequate
3/ A retaliatory idiot / inadaquate

It never ever results in a contrite / apologetic idiot / inadequate which is presumably the intention of the reprimand?

Let them go and be someone else's problem.

>> If Leif was on the junction I think he was, then it is a very
>> small stretch of dual carriageway to the next roundabout where the option is to turn
>> right or left only.
>>
>> If you are turning right it seems to be common (local) practice there to go
>> straight into the right hand lane, although I think the lane marking, when you get
>> to them, allow for both lanes to turn right.
>>
>> An easy mistake to make.
>>
>> Pat

Yes, it is a very short section, I think it passes under the M3, at the end you turn right or left, and the lane markings at the end are not visible at the start.

And to comment on some other remarks, I did not flash my lights at him due to anger, but because I thought his driving was dangerous, and I thought if he saw someone flashing him, it might make him think. That was a mistake. As I've said before, I usually do not bother, and usually only use the horn and lights to warn of danger e.g. "look out, I am next to you, don't drive into me" which happened earlier in the year, and even though it was a genuine use of the horn to prevent someone driving into the side of me, the driver became enraged, moved in front of me, and emergency braked to try and engineer a crash. He then shouted at me for being in the wrong lane. I went back to examine the signs and I was in the correct lane.

It does surprise me how many people get angry when driving. Life is too short to get angry because you think someone else made a mistake.

I have a close relative whose driving is appalling. He describes himself as a 'professional driver', and gets very angry at 'mimsers' and Sunday drivers. He will tail gate, flash his lights, and swear until they move aside, even when doing 100mph on the motorway and 1m or so behind the car in front. Terrifying.
 Nasty road rage incident - John H
You may have to declare this incident to your Insurer, especially as you have reported it to the Police.
 Nasty road rage incident - Ted

Here's one way to deal with a potential road-rager......the fun starts from about 2 minutes in, after the box van turns off the road.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_zewnfvI8&feature=g-vrec

Ted
 Nasty road rage incident - Dutchie
Hooting and flashing your light is seen as agression by some people.Be carefull you don't know who you dealing with.I've done it but be prepared for trouble.
 Nasty road rage incident - Ambo
In that context, what do you do if you want to say sorry? It used to be the case that you held up a hand with your fingers spread but another driver recently took this as a taunt.
 Nasty road rage incident - BobbyG
>>You may have to declare this incident to your Insurer, especially as you have reported it to the Police.

John, are you being serious with that comment???
Have I missed something here?

If you are in lane 2 of a dual carriageway...and..there's no one in lane 1...and someone would like to drive faster than you...then you ought to be in lane 1.

...and then there wouldn't have been a problem.

>>Have I missed something here?

Yes.
>> >>Have I missed something here?
>>
>> Yes.

Do enlighten me then.
>>Do enlighten me then.

Let us assume that he was in the wrong lane. Let us assume that it was ridiculous that he should be in the wrong lane.

On what level, or in what type of mind, does that justify aggression of this type?

>> Let us assume that he was in the wrong lane. Let us assume that it
>> was ridiculous that he should be in the wrong lane.
>>
>> On what level, or in what type of mind, does that justify aggression of this
>> type?

None whatsoever.

However, it wouldn't have happened would it.
No, it wouldn't.

But I assume that the primary scumbag is the idiot in the other car, not the guy in the wrong lane?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:02
 Nasty road rage incident - Bromptonaut
Only looked at a map, not an area I frequent.

IF the OP refers to M3/J4 then if headed for the A325 after A331 early occupation of lane 2 might be reasonable. Alternative is to stay nearside and risk being thought to be 'pushing in' nearer to A331/A325 junction.
>> No, it wouldn't.
>>
>> But I assume that the primary scumbag is the idiot in the other car, not
>> the guy in the wrong lane?

True. But the 'guy in the wrong lane' takes some responsibility for his error.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:03
 Nasty road rage incident - Ted
Unfortunately, the road planners and painters have left one hell of a lot of confusion in recent years...particularly with regard to roundabouts. Towns you are not familiar with ( and some you are ) can be a pain to negotiate and there will always be the impatient local to try and give you aggro of one sort or another. I don't worry about what anyone to the rear is doing...although I monitor them constantly.

Reading the situation here, I can't see that Leif has done anything he shouldn't. If he was wanting to make a right turn shortly after leaving his roundabout then the outside lane was the place to be and sod anyone behind unless they had blues and twos on. No point in getting bottled in lane one then having to make a possible dangerous move a few seconds later.

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Nov 12 at 01:03
 Nasty road rage incident - DP
Farnborough is full of nutters. Lovely place. As for the police, if SWMBO's experience reporting a drunk cyclist who tried to kick her passenger door in with two terrified children in the car is anything to go by, you missed nothing by the station being closed.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 19 Nov 12 at 09:19
>> Farnborough is full of nutters. Lovely place.

Aldershot makes it seem like Shangri-La.
>> >> Farnborough is full of nutters. Lovely place.
>>
>> Aldershot makes it seem like Shangri-La.
>>

That's with the 'o' in Aldershot pronounced as an 'i' ;-)
Thats the place.
>>Farnborough is full of nutters<<

S'funny ya know, back in the 70's I was living? in a council flat in sowf lunden and my job was delivering reams of paper to print shops all over London and the home counties.

I used to see areas like Farnborough as posh, which I suppose they were (then) compared to the Elephant and Castle.

:+)
 Nasty road rage incident - Fullchat
How to deal with tailgaters:

www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/too-close-for-comfort-how-to-deal-with-tailgaters?MediaCode=806&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_source=Newsletter19Nov
>> Have I missed something here?
>>
>> If you are in lane 2 of a dual carriageway...and..there's no one in lane 1...and
>> someone would like to drive faster than you...then you ought to be in lane 1.
>>
>> ...and then there wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm surprised you of all people make such a comment. When I exited, there were cars in lane 1. Checking the signs told me I wanted to be in lane 1, but by then I had a nutter on my tail, doing what nutters do i.e. bully others. These people will harass others if they do not immediately get out of their way.

But even were I too have exited in the wrong lane, with lane 1 completely clear, I think your comment would be out of order unless you are Mr Perfect, always driving to perfection, which I doubt. In fact I am sure this nutter saw some fault in my driving which justified his aggression.
Actually leif, if its anything like you are being on here, its all becoming a little clearer.
>> I did not flash my lights at him due to anger, but because I thought his driving was dangerous, and I thought if he saw someone flashing him, it might make him think.

You honestly flashed your lights at him just because you thought it would cause him to realise his driving was dangerous?

Have you *ever* flashed your lights at someone who was deliberately driving in such a manner and caused spontaneous remorse?

You're strong reaction to comments you believe to be wrong in here, tend to make me wonder if perhaps you reacted a little strongly with your horn and/or lights.

As I've said above, I don't think you were in the wrong, or if you were that it deserved such a response, but do you not feel that blowing your horn was throwing petrol on the flames?
 Nasty road rage incident - Jacks
Well Leif, it would appear the Car4play jury has deliberated and found you Guilty
of Mimsing Flashing and Hooting, I just hope you wern't driving a diesel car as well.
 Nasty road rage incident - Armel Coussine
Leave Leif alone! He's a sensitive and slightly jumpy guy who was intimidated by someone's driving which sounds from Leif's description quite bad.

I hooted at someone angrily this very evening, a banal piece of clumsy boorish driving by a new black 7 series BMW, with whose details I won't bore people, on the large and complex Hammersmith roundabout where you need to know where you are going, and where crap drivers often make prats of themselves.

If I'd been Leif I would have had kittens, and as it was I did something I said upthread was a bad idea. Spirit willing, flesh weak. I'm not a goddamn automotive Buddhist like Humph or the gastropod, to take two leading examples.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 20 Nov 12 at 00:07
 Nasty road rage incident - VxFan
>> and Hooting

If you're gonna hoot, you need a decent horn for full effect. Something sounding like Noddys car horn is just comical and often gets ignored or just laughed at. You need one that is LOUD and makes people jump.
>> >> and Hooting
>>
>> If you're gonna hoot, you need a decent horn for full effect. Something sounding like
>> Noddys car horn is just comical and often gets ignored or just laughed at. You
>> need one that is LOUD and makes people jump.

Agreed. The boy lad who lived next door had a mate who bought a Dodge Nitro, installed a secondary battery in it, couple of relays and a 24 volt truck horn.

That did the bizzo.
 Nasty road rage incident - Alanovich

>> Agreed. The boy lad who lived next door had a mate who bought a Dodge
>> Nitro, installed a secondary battery in it, couple of relays and a 24 volt truck
>> horn.
>>
>> That did the bizzo.
>>

Ah, Surrey. So posh.
He was from reading.
>> He was from reading.
>>

Obviously had to move then, wouldn't have fitted in here at all. Next stop, Essex.
yeah, upwardly mobile they call it i think.
>> yeah, upwardly mobile they call it i think.
>>

Aye, that Dodge Nitro. So upscale.
>> installed a secondary battery in it, couple of relays and a 24 volt truck horn.

I know someone that fitted an Inter City 125 horn on his lorry.

Parp Parp.
Just out of interest you understand, merely for a matter of record, where did he get it....
Scrap yard (he claims)
Yeah, you see loads of Class 43's stacked up on top of each other down the scrap yard....
www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-Train-Air-Horn-Kit-110-PSI-Air-System-150dB-/130512561690?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6327a61a&vxp=mtr

This will do, I like the noise of US trains.
>> Well Leif, it would appear the Car4play jury has deliberated and found you Guilty
>> of Mimsing Flashing and Hooting, I just hope you wern't driving a diesel car as
>> well.

Not at all, merely suggesting he does not pursue a career as a defence lawyer......
I'm feeling sorry for Leif. The first contribution he's made to this site since August and we all tear into him. I think I can be accused of being the first. I hope we haven't frightened him off.
Yeah, its all you fault.
 Nasty road rage incident - Duncan
>> I'm feeling sorry for Leif. The first contribution he's made to this site since August
>> and we all tear into him. I think I can be accused of being the
>> first. I hope we haven't frightened him off.
>>

Could you pop round his house with a bunch of flowers?
 Nasty road rage incident - Jacks

>>
>> Could you pop round his house with a bunch of flowers?
>>

and a copy of the Highway Code
 Nasty road rage incident - Dutchie
Some nasty people out there best be ARMED with understanding.
 Nasty road rage incident - WillDeBeest
Sadly the HC doesn't have a protocol for dealing with poorly designed and marked junctions, and that one is a horror. I use it every couple of months, approaching from the Farnham-Aldershot direction, and I still find it hard to make the right lane choices to get smoothly on to the London-bound M3.

Trouble is, regular users of bad junctions find their own way to make them work, which doesn't always correspond to the signs and lane markings, and then forget that new users may be trying to do it by the book. There's one I use regularly near Heathrow that tries - and fails - to compress a big-roundabout spiral with traffic lights into too small a space, so there simply isn't room to do the leftward lane shifts the design requires, and one of the main local destinations isn't offered by any of the lane markings.
So the only sensible method involves an unorthodox route around the left-hand side, but I always have to watch for first-timers trying to move left in the three car lengths the cramped layout allows - and to remind myself not to be annoyed because it's the planners' fault, not theirs.

We all have to put ourselves in others' shoes from time to time, and that's what Leif's nutter failed to do. Leif has acknowledged his mistake in overreacting; I think the rest of us should get off his back.
Well said W de B, that isn't J13 of the M25 is it?

A nightmare coming off southbound and trying to get across to the left to go to Egham...in an artic.

Pat
>> Well said W de B, that isn't J13 of the M25 is it?
>>
>> A nightmare coming off southbound and trying to get across to the left to go
>> to Egham...in an artic.
>>
>> Pat

Easy peasy. Left hand lane of M25, keep tight to the line on your right hand side, forcing those trying to get off late back onto M25, right hand lane of slip but this time keep tight to the line on your left hand side, forcing those who are trying to undertake you, down the A30 to staines, then its a simple matter up the hill move left, stopping anyone joining the M25* and stay left all the way round the tight spiral and down into Egham town.

*Specially those who have taken the fast route along the M25, off the terminal 5 exit, over teh top of the pooley roundabout, then along the inside lane under J13 and back up again.
 Nasty road rage incident - WillDeBeest
That's not 'my' junction, Pat, but I've had a look on the aerial view and I can see it might be tricky. I'll write down Zero's method for the next time I need to go that way.
It's Zero's method with cars that make it so hard for an artic:)

But would we expect less from him!

Pat
Driver attacked with a machete as he waited at traffic lights

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20999776
 Nasty road rage incident - corax
Hadleigh? It's gone downhill since I lived there. It used to be quite a cheery village until they made traffic priority through the middle of it.
Its not road rage, its a simple assault. And its Essex so its nothing out of the norm.

My wyfe hails from Essex, and she's never hit anyone, her Father has lived in Essex for over 50 years, and he's never hit anyone, Frank Bruno lives in Essex, and he's never ... eh, 4° here and quite bright,
but rain is forecast for layder on today.
>> My wyfe hails from Essex, and she's never hit anyone, her Father has lived in
>> Essex for over 50 years, and he's never hit anyone, Frank Bruno lives in Essex,
>> and he's never ... eh,

I lived in Essex for 14 years, and there was a fight in my school every day.
 Nasty road rage incident - Old Navy
>> I lived in Essex for 14 years,

That explains a lot. TOWIE fan? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 13 Jan 13 at 16:05
>>there was a fight in my school every day.

Really? You do surprise me...

:-))
I can see it now...

"I'm not having him on my team, he was on my team last week".
"Well, I don't want him, he always makes us lose, you have to have him".

"There's only one way to sort this out............"
Sport? oooh No way Jose. Behind the bike sheds with a crafty fag me.

No not that kind of fag, it wasn't public school. A no6 or woodbine mostly.
>>No not that kind of fag, it wasn't public school. A no6 or woodbine mostly<<

Brilliant!
I went to a "public" school. Both types of fag were available but I took up smoking. Fairly sure that if I'd gone down the other road I wouldn't have done it 20 times a day for 35 years before getting around to giving it up.

:-)
Man charged over an attack which left a pedestrian in a critical condition.
He was allegedly punched after urging the driver to slow down

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-21022872
Latest Forum Posts