Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 15

KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty Issues ? - madf
"I don't think discs are any better than drums, they do cool better, and for the lazy look only attitude to modern servicing are a must for front brakes."

I think disks are superior to drums in every way including and especially servicing.

Even self adjusting drums tended to stick unadjusted so pulling to one side under hard braking was a norm rather than an occasional. As for drums without self adjusters - lethal.. ask any Mini (original) owner.

I had brake fade with drums down steep hills frequently - noisy , very smelly and borwn pants when you cannot under any circumstances slow down - let alone stop - and there is a sharp corner approaching.

Cheap brake shoes - and even Peugeot ones of the 1990s(!) tended to tear linings from the rivets and the linings would rotate in the drums and either give permanent braking or none at all.

Maintenance of disk systems - apart form some with non stainless steel slides ! - is easy peasy and any semi competent mechanic can do it.

Most complaints about disks are due to incompetent (or no) maintenance .

Try changing brake shoes on a complex setup with self adjustment and you need diagrams and instructions how to wind back adjusters and place springs etc. Disk/pads are simple.

Ever tried removing a drum when the wear is such there is a lip in the drum preventing it moving? Horrible.

And with disks, you can have warning sectors in the pads to make audible warnings of low pad levels. (Yes I know drivers ignore them).

If modern drivers who skimp maintenance had to rely on drum brakes, we would see far more accidents and MOT fails..
 Messages Author Date
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warranty.. new Fullchat 27 Apr 13 22:49
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warrant.. new RichardW 27 Apr 13 23:04
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warran.. new Fullchat 27 Apr 13 23:20
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warra.. new - 27 Apr 13 23:54
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warr.. new .... 28 Apr 13 00:11
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Warr.. new Armel Coussine 28 Apr 13 00:16
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Wa.. new .... 28 Apr 13 00:30
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential W.. new Armel Coussine 28 Apr 13 00:50
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Wa.. new Bill Payer 28 Apr 13 22:57
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potential Wa.. new - 29 Apr 13 08:46
 KIA Cee'd - Kia Ceed - Potentia.. new madf 10 Jan 14 15:14