***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 38 *****

==============================================================

Continuing debate
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Aug 16 at 13:59

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - zippy
Says MP Bill Cash......

tinyurl.com/jcpo88j

(Independent)

Which is rather unfortunate because that is what Boris and May seem to want.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - movilogo
www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Free movement of goods but not people might happen.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Dutchie
So what would be the deal.Unskilled European workers no.

Nurses Doctors Engineers etc ok.To come in.

That would be it then or something else?

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - fluffy
You cannot have free movement of goods and services without free movement of people.

That is the red line for a number of European countries.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Dutchie
There will be a compromise Fluffy (Stating the obvious)

.A few nasty attacks in this area on Polish shops,broken windows etc.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Stuartli
>>A few nasty attacks in this area on Polish shops,broken windows etc.>>

A great shame. In my neck of the woods, for example, the Poles have played a major role for decades, especially during the war when they flew Spitfires and also helped to maintain them at RAF Woodvale.

It's not all that long ago since the then chief Polish mechanic at the airfield passed away at the age of approximately 90 years of age - his input and work was a key factor in the war effort.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - rtj70
A shame is an understatement as you know. Let's hope the compromise deal we eventually get satisfies all sides.

Sadly I suspect leave and remain sides will all be equally disappointed. Maybe that's a positive.

As a direct consequence of the Brexit vote which has lead to a very sharp down turn at work, a team of 59 has just been reduced to 6!

Vacancies have been withdrawn and more to come!

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - smokie
What line of business Zippy? Presume you're OK? (for now at least...)

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - nice but dim
He must work for the government :p

Business to business finance / lending, including trade finance (largest dept hit) and asset finance.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - No FM2R
>> a team of 59 has just been reduced to 6!

Never mind, they must be comforted to know that other people felt their suffering was a small and acceptable price to pay...

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - tyrednemotional
...of course, if the above had happened as the result of a consultant's engagement, it would simply be claimed as efficiency savings.......

;-)

>>efficiency savings.......

It would be if the same levels of business were being done by few people, but this isn't the case. Business has just fallen away over the last month.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - RattleandSmoke
My business is down a lot, about 25% down from this time last year. I was busy earlier in the year so I do wonder how much of it is down to 'brexit'.

Either way I am screwed as the job market is in tatters too, and what makes me so angry is that I like the rest of the 48% didn't want this. The 52% mostly cannot even agree what they want.

I thought I would calm down as the weeks past, but I am just more and more angry to the point I don't even know what nationality I am anymore. I am mourning as if I had just lost a close relative.

As someone said on today's Jeremy Vine Radio 2 show, Brexit is being blamed for anything and everything.....

I see Lloyds Banking Group is talking about 3,000 job losses and 200 branches closing down.

I have both a Lloyds and Halifax current account (used for different purposes), but will almost certainly shut both down, end the use of both debit and credit cards and move to another bank if LBG sticks to its rumoured proposal.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - devonite
>> move to another bank

Well there's a plus for you from Brexit! - choose a couple that pay you the £200 to move to them and a nice little "earner" of £400! ;-)

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - CGNorwich
I guess that there are some people that would miss a physical bank but I haven't been in mine for over a year so I can see why they are closing so many branches. Wouldn't be in the least concerned if they shut mine.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 14:45

>>I see Lloyds Banking Group is talking about 3,000 job losses and 200 branches closing down.>>

Further to my point about Brexit being blamed for anything and everything:

tinyurl.com/hzlo7m6

On 27th June I said:

I also think some companies will use the referendum to (unfortunately) move jobs off-shore. They perhaps planned to do this anyway but it is of course unpopular. They can now blame the referendum when they 'have to do it'. IT services companies are already off-shoring big time - take HP Enterprise for example who are going to merge with CSC.... a good time to get rid of a lot of people and blame those who voted leave. Of course they would have done it anyway but now we cannot totally blame them.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22736&m=504744

>> My business is down a lot, about 25% down from this time last year. I
>> was busy earlier in the year so I do wonder how much of it is
>> down to 'brexit'.

Almost certainly nothing. Who are your customers?

It may well ultimately hurt you, but I find it very difficult to believe that there is any impact this soon. And I wouldn't have thought you were close enough to companies likely to be hurt by speculation and international caution.

Which customers have you lost? A few larger ones or lots of little ones? What specific reasons have they quoted for not doing work? What has happened in their industry that might affect their need for IT support?

Are your customers private individuals or companies? What size of company?

>> I am mourning as if I had just lost a close relative

Oh stop being such a Drama Princess. Any idiot can run a business when life is easy, it takes drive and balls to run one successfully when things get challenging.

Brexit is a regrettably shame driven significantly by lying, manipulative and incompetent politicians and a regrettable lack of understanding and perception on behalf of many voters, not to mention 30 years of political and Governmental idiocy and lying; and it will have a restrictive impact,

But the Earth hasn't stopped spinning and nobody shot your pet gerbil, so get over it.

Life will continue. If you looked at it properly you would find opportunity in hardship. Start thinking about how you could protect your customers from what they are worried about.

e.g. If they are concerned about making capital investment and fixed operational expenses, then talk to them about outsourcing and leasing.

It is not beyond the wit of man...............
>>It may well ultimately hurt you, but I find it very difficult to believe that there is any impact this soon. >>

The businessman friend I mentioned earlier has told me of the financial losses his company has suffered since the result, but it's down to the drop in value of the pound against the Euro on the cost of operating some of their outlets and operations on the Continent. The import and export levels are pretty much the same so far.

It could be, of course, that as some believe, that Sterling was overvalued and has, in fact, found its true level; only time will tell.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Pat
Of course we mustn’t mention Glaxo-SmithKline investing £275m into UK factories, or McDonalds creating 5,000 jobs, Taylor Wimpey and Clydesdale Bank reporting business as usual.

Perhaps you should get a job at McDonalds Rattle they will be hiring.

Failing that, get a grip and be creative.

Pat
I know I should be happy for the sake of my country Pat, but just FYI I am currently still quite a lot of thousands short on SWMBOs Taylor Wimpey shares. They were around £1.90 immediately before the vote and went to about £1.20. Today they are back up at about £1.55.

They were bought as a long term savings in an employee purchase scheme and are part of my retirement planning. Less so now, of course, but then I've already retired so there isn't much I can do about that. It's not the only investment which is still much very lower than pre-BREXIT. Must be the way I invest.

Investment like GSK is bound to come, as anything made here and shipped abroad is suddenly 10% cheaper. We getting closer to being a third world country in terms of costs. It doesn't mean, in itself, that we are doing well.

You really don't seem to appreciate that we have not yet Exited, and we still do not know how things will look once we have. Zippy reported significant job losses today. it will take time for the real effect to filter through.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - BrianByPass
>> I know I should be happy for the sake of my country Pat, but just
>> FYI I am currently still quite a lot of thousands short on SWMBOs Taylor Wimpey
>> shares. They were around £1.90 immediately before the vote and went to about £1.20. Today
>> they are back up at about £1.55.
>>

Consider yourself lucky. The company nearly folded in 2007. On 8th April 2007 it was saved.

"11th-hour deal gives Taylor Wimpey hope for a way out of the debt problems that have seen the group lose more than 90 per cent of its equity value since 2007. The shares closed at 39¾p, up 2¾p on the day but still far below their peak of 518p in April 2007."

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Manatee
I'm sure you know this Smokie, but the real risk there was in having a lot of eggs in one basket.

Sometimes its unavoidable when rewards are in share options for example, or there is a lock in period, but I always avoided having very much invested in my employers' shares - just working there and depending on them to pay my pension was risk enough.

At least two friends of mine found their savings decimated in the banking crisis. Both worked for NatWest/RBS, and had accumulated very substantial shareholdings over decades of working.

I expect Taylor Wimpey will recover. The housing shortage is just as bad as it was before.

Yes Manatee I get that. I raised the matter in response to Pat's apparent assumption that everything is back to normal or is better since the vote. It's not the first time Pat has made such assertions and I'm sure it won't be the last, but I don't see it's wrong to put actual facts and impacts into the discussion to help Pat realise that the headlines do not tell the full story.

Your comment made me re-read the context, so I would add that I found Pat's comment to Rats more than a little patronising - the guy came on here and said his business is suffering (that's his business, i.e. his livelihood) and the suggestions were to get a job in MacDonalds or get a grip. I drew a conclusion from that comment and I'm sure others were able to as well.
I drew a conclusion from that comment too Smokie.

Interest rates are likely to be cut to 0.25% on Thursday. That surely is not good news for the strength of our economy - it's a sign we need it propping up. More QE needed at some point no doubt.

Too early to tell of course. Way to early. But people on here already know of examples of job losses and downturns it seems.

I've still not had time to find the post I thought I'd seen about Pat and her son both voting for BREXIT. Pat responded when I was in Greece with only my phone and searching forums on a 5.1" device is not so easy. But I do find it hard to believe a parent would choose to vote for something their child felt they thought was detrimental to them and their own family, i.e. I assume Pat's son is happy with BREXIT for his family that his mother helped bring about. If he isn't that also says something about Pat too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 00:25
>> I've still not had time to find the post I thought I'd seen about Pat
>> and her son both voting for BREXIT. Pat responded when I was in Greece with
>> only my phone and searching forums on a 5.1" device is not so easy. But
>> I do find it hard to believe a parent would choose to vote for something
>> their child felt they thought was detrimental to them and their own family, i.e. I
>> assume Pat's son is happy with BREXIT for his family that his mother helped bring
>> about. If he isn't that also says something about Pat too.<<

Well, I wish you'd tell me what it says about me because I haven't a clue??

Let's have it in words of one syllable that I will understand please.

Spit it out and be a man, so at the very least I can defend my terrible actions.

What is your obsession with my son and how he voted?

He's 51 years old next week and he's his own man.

If it makes you happy rtj, I am seeing him at the weekend and if we find nothing more interesting or mind blowing to talk about, I will ask how he voted and report back to you.

I get up this morning and within and hour I can absolutely see where those who have left the forum are coming from.

Mark said much the same to Rats as I did, but no challenge or disapproval from Smokie? :)

That says it all to me!!

......and makes me wonder why I bother too.

Pat
>> I do find it hard to believe a parent would choose to vote for something
>> their child felt they thought was detrimental to them and their own family

>> ......and makes me wonder why I bother too.
>>

Having witnessed rtj's obsession, and troll like behaviour, with hoarding information on forum members, I feel uneasy about continuing posting here.
I am chucking in the towel now. So it is over and out from me.
Just a good memory based on what has been posted on here before and what has been divulged. If people are unhappy with what they reveal online they shouldn't do it in the first place.

If someone say has a website in their profile and on that website they show their full name, photo and possibly even some form of address.... they are pretty confident to post personal details that identify them on the Internet.

Don't get me started on what damage someone could easily do to themselves with what they post on Twitter or Facebook. People have lost jobs for that. And employers trawl the Internet looking into what someone has posted online before interviews etc. The Internet can be a dangerous place.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 09:02

www.pda-uk.org/index.html

It's no secret rtj, you're not being clever or anything.

In fact if you look under 'About Us' you will find all the info you have done your first class detective work about freely available to the public.

The phone number contact for 24 hour emergencies is mine too so neither is that a problem.

www.facebook.com/pat.nicholson.75

My Facebook page for you to peruse since it seems to interest you so much too.

BTW, I don't have an employer and you always get that one wrong.

www.fenlandtraining.co.uk/

>>
If someone say has a website in their profile and on that website they show their full name, photo and possibly even some form of address.... they are pretty confident to post personal details that identify them on the Internet.<<

Someone? Why not just say Pat, it would have saved me having to post those links for you, but you may want to ask about the address, it's a tad confusing really.

I don't Tweet but I do watch other people!

Now, you posted a link from HJ a few days ago that I strongly disapproved of.

I was right to disapprove because to me it brought your integrity into question. In other words if you have that (harmless?) information what other information have you kept after you left, and how will you choose to use it when it suits you.

Some couldn't see why I felt it was so wrong of you, maybe they will also see you for what you are now.

Pat

Why do you think I was referring to you Pat? It was a general comment about the Internet.

One example in these long threads on BREXIT is provided some info from the past on this forum was about Westpig being retired on a police inspectors pension after 30 years service at the Met Police. I only used that in an argument against him when he said he thought a recession was perhaps a necessary thing. Easy for him to get by in his early fifties on an indexed linked pension of around £30k when there's people earning a lot less who might lose jobs. Facts are often needed you know rather than speculation.

I don't Tweet or follow any other Twit's. not do I post on Facebook.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 09:44

Pat, Can I offer one peace item... ask your hosting provider how they can provide 100% uptime SLAs. It's near impossible to guarantee that. Even 99.99% is very costly let alone 99.999%. I'm sure you can't be paying enough for even 99.99% either (believe me you aren't likely to be).

So if they lie about that... what else do they lie about?

To even achieve high availability (but not 100%) you need more than just two data centres with automatic failover etc. And the failover process eats into availability.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 23:28

>> you may want to ask about the address, it's a tad confusing really.

Are you near a sky diving centre?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 23:34

And do you have Economy 7 heating? Could be useful for a plugin hybrid or electric car.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 23:50

I could be wrong on Economy7. But if I've guessed/found it has or had it at your property it goes to show posting too much online can be a bad thing. I've only gone from the post I've replied to in this thread.

Perhaps if people knew what Facebook and Google were collecting and processing and making links between they'd be a bit more worried. If you let Facebook slurp your address book (most do) then they look to see who you know for starters. Why do you think the likes of Google and Facebook need millions of servers.

Both Facebook and Google deliver individual advertisements to you based on what websites you've been looking at not much earlier on and these are themed to the subject or topic that was on display.

In fact, funnily enough, this website is very much part of such information gathering and tailored advertisements......

This website uses Google for ads so uses your own cookies. But the Map Reduce processing both Google and Facebook (and others) do is collecting and crunching many Petabytes of data.

So when you're typing a search in at Google and it's guessing what you might type next... It's based on many other current trending searches.

As I say Facebook will try to upload your entire address book and then through processing (and it's a mammoth task) will work out who else in the world you might know based on the contact details it knows about.

Now you've proven to everyone just how clever you are I have to ask, did you really think I didn't know all that rtj?

Far more interesting would be a reply from Smokie to the question I asked him (twice) yesterday morning and he ignored all day.

.....or perhaps you can answer that one too?

Pat

>>did you really think I didn't know all that rtj?

I think you didn't.

Hardly surprising since you're both built from the same mould.

Pat

I think Pat knew anyone could quickly find that.

All I used was the website in your profile and posted above as a starting point and nothing else. All information is freely available. So anyone could know your date of birth, address, sample signatures, etc. Useful for fraud etc. The clues like sky diving and Economy7* was to see if I was near or not without divulging anything. I only used info from 3 websites. I am not being clever I just googled for you and Ian by name. Google knows quite a lot about all of us you know.

The amount of freely available information on the Internet is quite frightening in my opinion.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 3 Aug 16 at 09:35

>>The amount of freely available information on the Internet is quite frightening.....>>

But you haven't told us anything I, and no doubt many others, have long been very aware of and therefore take certain measures to avoid...:-)

That's it in a nutshell, I'm fully aware of what information about me is available and how it could be used.

I choose carefully what to make available and what not to.

I can't believe I'm supposed to be impressed:)

Pat

Three things that surprised me yesterday:

- Pat seems not to have been the person who established PDA - it is the sort if thing I thought she would have done and if it didn't exist Pat would have set it up I'm sure!
- Here age - I thought she was younger - maybe I've missed mention of big birthdays
- You can find sample signatures along with addresses, previous addresses, names and previous names

Actually I suppose I knew about the signatures thing but assumed you'd have to pay for that type of document but clearly you don't! And the addresses/names cannot easily be avoided if you want to vote or act as company director or secretary.

I won't say more but if you want to know how much I found out with two or three searches drop me a mail Pat. I personally would ask for the posts higher up to be removed. Google and other websites harvest websites for sure but you've put your details all on one nice page with previous and current surnames.

I assume Ian is happy that this all also links to him and therefore his signature (which I know might not be his real one).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 4 Aug 16 at 02:13

>> I choose carefully what to make available and what not to.

Some you cannot choose sadly. Did you know I could fake Ian's signature with a bit of practice? (I obviously don't intend doing so). I say Ian because the example for you is in your previous surname so maybe no longer used.

All in all... I think there's too much info online that is easily found.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 4 Aug 16 at 02:17

And I can't delete the above but checking headlines (Real World) there's been an attack in London and a woman is dead. Trivialises what I posted above.

My point above (and it was about Alastair's flood damaged Octavia) was be careful about what is online. Someone could use it.

Tonight it seems someone just used a knife to attack our citizens.

I was in London at the weekend and often go to Russell Square when there... Let us hope this is the end of tonights terrible events.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 4 Aug 16 at 02:29

>>Trivialises what I posted above.<<

It's always been trivial to me.

I'm the one who vets people coming to the charity and asking for grants.

I'm very familiar with all the tactics you use, indeed I use them myself for that purpose.

Now, can I suggest a nice cup of Horlicks and a good DVD for your late night entertainment?

This is getting tedious.

Pat
I can only see one question, about why I made comment on your post but not on Mark's.

It's hard to answer really, if I'd read them both to start with, but I missed Mark's and that's that really. But you haven't usually been known for insulting people in that way and on reading both, I would say Mark's doesn't sound so barbed. But it's a fair cop and I apologise for being selective and I deserve scowlies from everyone for it.

Now, how about the questions I've been asking over the weeks about what the Leavers were actually expecting?
>> what the Leavers were actually expecting?

If they don't say or know they can't be disappointed I guess.

I suspect BREXIT will result in the worst of both worlds. Neither leave or remain will like what we get.

>> Now, how about the questions I've been asking over the weeks about what the Leavers
>> were actually expecting?

I don't remember you going on about it, but I did post a few responses to the general theme, of which I can find three. I'm not writing any more.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=22813&m=506863&v=e

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=22826&m=507052&v=e

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=22833&m=508252&v=e

Thanks Manatee. I enjoy your considered posts. :-)

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - sherlock47
Manatee - whilst I may not agree with your conclusions and voting choice, I can respect the intellect, thought and effort that has taken you down your chosen route. What I will mock is the similar choice taken by the mindless followers of media crap, particularly those who fall into the 'turkeys voting for chritmas' group, or the xenophobes who think that it will all result in a return to the halcyon days of 'Great' Britain.

I guess that many of us will not be around long enough to see if you are proved right, but changes in the next 5 years may give a little indication of what is to come. The short term changes will probably be so gradual that many will wonder what the fuss was about.

I have always thought that there wasn't a 'right' answer and if there was it wouldn't be just in or out without qualification.

We may never know which result would have been the better one.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - legacylad
We might if the EU implodes... I'm not getting involved in any discussions on whether it was correct or not to leave, which will take a while, but as someone who researches & trades equities on a regular basis there is a lot of concern in the papers & forecasts I read, for the banking stability of a few EU members, which could get far worse.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 3 Aug 16 at 13:01

Indeed. 200bn of Italian banks' dodgy assets of 360bn are owed by borrowers who are already insolvent, according to reports.

To be fair, RBS doesn't look as if it could withstand the fallout. The BoE's stress tests have come in for some criticism - passing a useless test is counter productive as it only puts confidence into the system that is misplaced.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Focal Point
I have been so disappointed by the bile dished out on this forum by the "Remainers" that I have largely bowed out of any discussion of the referendum result.

I continue to be disappointed by the personalisation of many of the recent posts on this thread, which have coincidentally taken the discussion off on a tangent. I note there has been at least one (announced) resignation from our already depleted number.

My apologies are owed to Manatee, whose carefully worded posts I had missed and whose views chime with mine.

The argument that the Leavers had/have no plan is a non-argument. Brexit takes us into uncharted territory and, beyond the obvious - that new trade agreements would need to be made and so on - there is no way you could plan for the unknown. As Manatee has said, what is no different is that government has to govern and there is probably a lot of similarity between the bulk of what needs to be done now and what would have needed to be done had the vote gone the other way, with of course one fairly big exception.

A vote to leave the EU was by definition a leap into the unknown in certain areas of economic activity. Nobody could predict the details of the fall-out; it's possible there will be lasting damage - there's talk of a recession by the end of the year. Yet who knows how things will stand even in twelve months' time? Maybe there will be no long-term damage at all.

A vote to stay in the EU was a vote for the comfort of "the devil we know". No sane person would imagine that the niggles the UK had would ever get solved; Cameron, we presume, did his best, and came back with precious little. I certainly didn't believe the optimism that the Remain campaign expressed; likewise their doom-laden predictions if we voted out.

Nor did I believe the claims made by the Leave campaign that many or even most of the problems claimed to be caused by the EU would disappear overnight, or eventually, or even at all. Some voters were seduced by the idea that the NHS would get a windfall, or that immigration would cease. None of these figured largely as far as I was concerned.

I am particularly incensed by the suggestion that the people who voted Leave are less intelligent, less well educated and because they are assumed to represent the older generation, voted out of selfishness, as they wouldn't be around to experience the awful fall-out in the years to come.

As I've said elsewhere, the big thing for me was the whole European Project. I'm aware of European history and I know where this comes from and I don't like the direction it's heading - always assuming the EU survives. So my vote was not for myself and certainly not to spite my children's generation; the results of Brexit will not be fully obvious for many years.

Lastly - and I'm sorry about the length of this post, which has probably lost most of its readers by now - I'm beyond disappointment about the bitterness which has come from the Remainers and their attempt to elevate the matter into something that reeks of religious zealotry, along the lines of "it's so obvious that voting Remain was the only way, that to do otherwise marks you out as a fool, a charlatan, perversely selfish and worse" almost as if some foul heresy had been committed.

What happened to respect for others' views? What happened to democracy? What happened to the simple, real-world acceptance that there was a vote and we are now several weeks past it?
>>What happened to respect for others' views? What happened to democracy? What happened to the simple, real-world acceptance that there was a vote and we are now several weeks past it?>>

All sadly very true. I voted to Leave mainly because I feel the EU has long been a busted flush, basically under the control of a handful of unelected individuals who have egos that beggar belief.

The reaction of Juncker, for example, before and after the Referendum was one of sheer contempt that any country should even consider leaving the organisation and, in effect, telling us to get lost.

To add further fuel to my thoughts on the ever declining EU, this story has been on the Mail Online website for a couple of hours or so:

tinyurl.com/z46u4un
 "We cannot be in the Single Market" - commerdriver
>>What happened to respect for others' views? What happened to democracy? What happened to >> the simple, real-world acceptance that there was a vote and we are now several weeks past
>> it?
Not everybody has reacted that way. I voted to remain and I did not believe there was even a possibility that we would vote to leave.

I voted to remain because I believe that long term in the EU was the right place to be, and that brexit will, in the short to medium term, hurt those who are vulnerable in our society. I still believe that to be true and think we will see it in the next 2-5 years.

However, we voted the way we voted and we have to do what we can to make a success of it in the long term. I also am disappointed at some of the personal comments made, although they have not all been one way, I have always disliked the contempt and aggression that we sink to here on occasion and have said so before.

>> The reaction of Juncker, for example, before and after the Referendum was one of sheer
>> contempt that any country should even consider leaving the organisation and, in effect, telling >> us to get lost.
Juncker has shown himself to be a nasty little man.
>>in response to Pat's apparent assumption
>> that everything is back to normal or is better since the vote. It's not the
>> first time Pat has made such assertions and I'm sure it won't be the last,<<

I posted that the business 'were reporting business as usual', no more no less and I assumed nothing, unlike you Smokie when you read my post.

>> Your comment made me re-read the context, so I would add that I found Pat's
>> comment to Rats more than a little patronising - the guy came on here and
>> said his business is suffering (that's his business, i.e. his livelihood) and the suggestions were
>> to get a job in MacDonalds or get a grip. I drew a conclusion from
>> that comment and I'm sure others were able to as well.

Rats has been complaining his business has been going no-where for as long as he's been posting on here and now decides it's because of Brexit

When that's followed by a remark like this

>>I thought I would calm down as the weeks past, but I am just more and more angry to the point I don't even know what nationality I am anymore. I am mourning as if I had just lost a close relative. <<

I find it hard to believe.

...and what's wrong with a job at MacDonalds?

When push comes to shove I have done worse and would do again, so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt Rats to do it.

Pat
Pat I don't see any reason for you posting two specific "good news" stories other than an attempt support your assertion that BREXIT was a good thing. However if we are going to simply regurgitate the headlines on a daily basis, my one for today is "UK factory activity falls 'at fastest pace for three years'" www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36939298

There is nothing wrong with a job at MacDonalds but you know full well that the term a job at MacDonalds (aka flipping burgers) has been seen for years as a fairly derogatory put-down. It's hardly the thing to say to a businessman who is struggling is it?

If you are finding Rats "hard to believe" then you've not been concentrating for the past x years, during which I've managed to build up a idea of what makes him tick, and how he tackles life and it's challenges.
>> Pat I don't see any reason for you posting two specific "good news" stories other
>> than an attempt support your assertion that BREXIT was a good thing.<<

...and your problem with me doing that is what exactly, you don't complain when anyone else does it?

>>a job at MacDonalds (aka flipping burgers) has been seen for years as
>> a fairly derogatory put-down.<<

If I had meant 'flipping burgers' surely you know my way is to say flipping burgers.

>>
>> If you are finding Rats "hard to believe" then you've not been concentrating for the
>> past x years, during which I've managed to build up a idea of what makes
>> him tick, and how he tackles life and it's challenges.
>>

Well, you don't have the monopoly on that, I've met Rats, talk to him on Facebook and he knows me well enough to know it wasn't a derogatory term.

I've done far worse jobs than 'flipping burgers' but it paid the bills and at the end of the day, someone had to do it.

What it did do to me was stop me moaning about 'my lot', finding excuses for why life wasn't good and pushed me into taking control of my future, which is all good advice for Rats.

Now, let's see you address the question as to why Mark can criticise him and give him a bit of good advice but I can't....or are we ignoring that one?

Pat

>> Yes Manatee I get that.

Yes, I appreciate the context, and wasn't having a dig and certainly not a gloat. I thought it was a point worth making in a general way. It's very common for generally savvy people to hold on to shares in their employer that they have accumulated though bonuses and discounted SAYE purchases, building up to significant amounts, when they wouldn't consider directly investing £100,000 say in one company or even putting it in one bank.

Add to the concentrated investment risk their job and their pension prospects, and it can be disastrous if it goes wrong.

TW is a buy on the broker consensus and has also said that it sees no immediate impact from Brexit, so I hope it recovers for you.

>>Glaxo-SmithKline investing £275m into UK factories, or McDonalds creating 5,000 jobs,

Neither of which decisions are anything to do with Brexit nor were made since Brexit.

Virtually *NO* decisions are currently resulting solely from Brexit unless they are being driven by speculation or the impact of TP speculation.

>>You really don't seem to appreciate that we have not yet Exited, and we still do not know
>>how things will look once we have. Zippy reported significant job losses today. it will take
>>time for the real effect to filter through

Exactly.

>> Must be the way I invest<<

>> Zippy reported significant job losses today<<

>>
Virtually *NO* decisions are currently resulting solely from Brexit <<

Exactly, and the shock factor from those who never thought the vote would go that way, should never have been a shock if they had been in touch with the real world.

Had they have been, they would have considered the possibility.

Pat

What was the vote? 51/49 or 51/48? Not really a conclusive result either way so I am not sure where the shock was or, if it indeed existed, what one could have been in touch with to avoid it.

In the long run I believe it will turn out bad for the economy and thus for the country. For the most part though I think of those who voted leave, a fair old number fell into either "don't understand the economy" or "ultimately good or bad, the economy is not related to my voting decision"

Which pretty much made a nonsense of the remain campaign.

Whichever, it will probably be 5 years before anybody can say with amd degree of proof and certainty whether this negatively impacted the economy or not.

>> What was the vote? 51/49 or 51/48?
>>

Stats analysed www.statspeople.com/debunking-brexit-caricatures-and-myths/

>> In the long run I believe it will turn out bad for the economy and
>> thus for the country. For the most part though I think of those who voted
>> leave, a fair old number fell into either "don't understand the economy" or "ultimately good
>> or bad, the economy is not related to my voting decision"
>>

In the long run I believe it will turn out very good for the economy and thus for the country. For the most part though I think of those who voted remain, a fair old number fell into "don't mind being ruled by Eurocrats" and/or "don't understand the economy" and/or "ultimately good or bad, the economy is not related to my voting decision".
That doesn't make sense. I agree that many of the people who voted remain didn't understand the economy, but it was important to them.

As for whether or not it will be good or bad, we will see. I haven't seen much to say that being out will be economically better; not much different is the most optimistic I've seen justified.

>> many of the people who voted remain didn't
>> understand the economy, but it was important to them.
>>

The Remain camp relied on economic experts, and one they often quoted was IMF. Today it is reported:

The International Monetary Fund’s top staff misled their own board, made a series of calamitous misjudgments in Greece, became euphoric cheerleaders for the euro project, ignored warning signs of impending crisis, and collectively failed to grasp an elemental concept of currency theory.

This is the lacerating verdict of the IMF’s top watchdog on the Fund’s tangled political role in the eurozone debt crisis, the most damaging episode in the history of the Bretton Woods institutions.

>>>McDonalds creating 5,000 jobs,

Yep, that's do nicely from £60k a year for the guys and girls let go to £18k.

>> Glaxo-SmithKline investing £275m into UK factories

Finance folk are not going to be able to switch to Chemicals or or factory jobs easily and what level of workers will the factories be employing - highly skilled on good rates of pay or manual labour on minimum wage?

>>>Clydesdale Bank reporting business as usual

They are one of our competitors and they had a huge redundancy round when National Australia
Group got bored of them.

We report our stats to a trade association and there equivalent division to us is doing just as bad as we are!

Even if things are rosier later, for the redundancies now, it could be too late, especially if homes are lost, careers changed for the worse etc.

BTW the company just announced huge profits and I checked the accounts this morning. Cash in the bank is over £10 billion - that is billion, not million and tangible net worth is even more!!!
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 17:57

>>BTW the company just announced huge profits and I checked the accounts this morning. Cash in the bank is over £10 billion - that is billion, not million and tangible net worth is even more!!! <<

That's the thing, isn't it?

What better chance to get rid of some dead wood and blame it on Brexit?

Pat

Pat,

These are good people with families and commitments . I work with them. From 50 odd down to 6 is not dead wood it is due to lack of business and no foreseeable return of that business in the near future.

That business was there up until a month ago and then fell off a cliff!

Some will get other jobs, some will not, due to age etc.

To call them dead wood is an insult. The director was in visibly upset when he had to break the news. He had worked for years building the team.
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 18:20

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - sooty123
BTW the company just announced huge profits and I checked the accounts this morning. Cash
>> in the bank is over £10 billion - that is billion, not million and tangible
>> net worth is even more!!!
>>

Seems very short termism, not an expert in banks but just one month of bad business and the whole thing shut up especially with the above.
>>Finance folk are not going to be able to switch to Chemicals or or factory jobs easily and what level of workers will the factories be employing - highly skilled on good rates of pay or manual labour on minimum wage?

I switched from the prison service to Glaxo when I knew nothing of their work, they trained me from raw recruit to shift supervisor in 5 years. They took on 40 folk from all walks of life when I started, and most of them reached O-grade (level just below me) in the same time period. Very good employers as well!
....I know - it was just a bit of a gentle dig at NOFM's "profession". (hence the smiley).

>> it was just a bit of a gentle dig at NOFM's "profession"

Where's my list....

Name?

["Don't tell him, Pike!"]

....it wouldn't be the first consultant's hitlist I was on.....

(and how did you know my name was Pike?)

>>...it wouldn't be the first consultant's hitlist I was on....

You get on a consultant's hitlist for being either very good at your job or a politically connected incompetent.

I do hope you're one of the former.

...I'm neither now - but so do I ;-)

>> if the above had happened as the result of a consultant's engagement, it would simply be claimed as efficiency savings

Even if you're not part of the solution, you can still make a fortune out of the problem.

[I think its that way round].

...I think the corollary to that is the saying "success has many fathers, failure is an orphan*".

(* or B**tard if you must ;-) )

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - fluffy
We cannot be outside the Single Market either.

There is a 10% tariff to export to the United States of america.

There are no tariffs exporting to the E.U.

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Old Navy
Talking with a car salesman today, he said it has been a busy month for the dealership, he had 25 sales this month including one today. My car was ordered on Monday, shipped from Bristol and arrived at the dealer yesterday. The PDI team is so busy the handover is not until Monday. Cant complain at a seven day turnaround.

And there was me thinking I might be able to pick up a cut price 3yo 328 Touring. Doesn't look like its going to happen. And the alloted funds have all been put into equities for the time being.

It might happen, this is the sales tactic that worked on me. I went to the dealer to enquire about a pre registered car. Salesman, sorry it's sold. Mrs OS, to me, we can look around the other dealers. Salesman, if I can discount a new car to near the pre reg price would you be interested? I bought a new car with a £200 retail spare wheel kit and five years servicing, two years more warranty for £200 more than the pre reg price. The "sold" pre reg bait car is still on the website. :-)

I was shown my car in the compound this afternoon, still transit wrapped, awaiting PDI. It's registration is
SO16 - - -.
Last edited by: Old Sundodger on Thu 28 Jul 16 at 21:21

if it was OS16 it would have been almost personalised! ;-)

>> if it was OS16 it would have been almost personalised! ;-)
>>

The last three letters actually reflect my surname, picked by the salesman from his block of registrations. A low key almost personalised. :-)

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - Focal Point
" if it was OS16 it would have been almost personalised! ;-)"

So that is why Old Sundodger has renamed himself from whoever he was before. (Sorry if I missed something - I haven't been popping in much, what with all the unpleasantness that's been flung around recently.)

>> So that is why Old Sundodger has renamed himself from whoever he was before.

He was in the Navy before Sundodging.

>> haven't been popping in much, what with all the unpleasantness that's been flung around recently

Yes, been a little uncivilised. Quite a lot of hatred shown on here pre and post Brexit. Almost qualifies as a hate crime. www.lbc.co.uk/insults-are-not-hate-crimes-insists-nick-134382
John Azah, a member of the Met Police's Independent Advisory Group, told him that a verbal assault is a hate crime in the same way as a physical assault.

>> So that is why Old Sundodger has renamed himself from whoever he was before.

It is one of the Edinburgh registrations, they are - SK, SL, SM, SN, SO. The only one I have not had on a car is SN. My last SO was an 05 Focus 2.0 TDCI.

My top top budget is £20k. Unfortunately I won't get a pre reg 328 Touring, in metallic, with pano roof & lots of extras for that. I think the £2k Focus will be spending winter with me.....

"We cannot be in the Single Market" - PeterS
It's not a pre-reg, but it has only done 10k miles, has a sunroof and what I suspect is almost the entire options list...

tinyurl.com/jq3jbhk

;)

Much appreciated PeterS.
I trawl the BMW approved used website at least twice a week....I'm being very specific colour wise. Estoril Blue or Dark grey, with either black or coral red leather ( which looks nice with the grey) I won't compromise. I had a chance to buy a 328 in Metallic Melbourne Red. Looked lovely, but my BMW mechanic pal told me to avoid beige leather like the plague... I'll be carrying mowers, tools, logs and I intend to keep for 6 years+ so it would look shabby quickly.
But thanks anyway
>>I'll be carrying mowers, tools, logs and I intend to keep for 6 years+ so it would look shabby quickly.>>

Don't you really need a van? :-)

....given his stated requirements and desires over the years, I think he probably needs something like this....

tinyurl.com/cabriovan

funny shaped front wheel! - is it a flat that's been filled with that spray gunk, it looks very similar to my wheelbarrow tyre that has! ;-)

As Sid James said in Carry on up the Khyber
Fakir
Off

>> >>I'll be carrying mowers, tools, logs and I intend to keep for 6 years+ so
>> it would look shabby quickly.>>
>>
>> Don't you really need a van? :-)
>>

Or, perhaps, just a towbar and trailer!!

No problem :) And not intending to get you to change your mind, but I've always found light coloured interiors very forgiving, especially leather. Though sometimes used intensively for rubbish, possibly not to the extent yours will be!! I think Runfer's previous car had a beige interior as well and delay with muddy mountain bikes ok!!

Latest Forum Posts