Motoring Discussion > Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualified driver Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 7

Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualified driver - Slightlyfatdirector
My Daughter has started to learn to drive, and is already making progress and has her theory test next week and if she passes this then she hopes to apply for her main test straight after.

We have had the family conversation about first cars, and what she does / doesn't want (it will be her money buying the car), and we have mentioned insurance quotes as a contributory factor to consider.

She will be looking at spend between £3k and £5k on a car and likes the DS3 she is learning in, so that is on the start of a short-list as would be a Polo. Mini came on then off, but might go back on...

I have suggested that she also consider the next class of car size up, (Focus, Golf, etc) as I have a feeling (yet to be proven or researched) that these might be lower in price to buy than super-mini's (less demand?) and maybe not significantly more expensive to insure, and the more mass of car around her should she (heaven forbid, but statistically not nice reading) have an accident - the better.

Even she does not want something Fiat 500-sized as she thinks it would be too small to be safe.

She might end up doing some reasonable length drives (40-50 miles) socially, plus some more motorway work within the next few years depending on where she gets a work placement (currently in Uni) so again a bigger car appeals to me (if not quite on her radar yet).

We have discussed whether there is actually any point in her having a car, as she can't use it at Uni (no parking), and will also have a three month work placement starting in January, plus on the weekend she is out of Uni then her boyfriend drives her most places, or she gets the train t his parent's place to stay.

In the holidays she rarely gets out of bed whilst it's daylight...

Anyway, she wants to have the flexibility of having a car to hand.

My wife's Golf GTI and my company hearse, ... sorry, E-Class estate.. is a company car and neither therefore are practical for her to use instead.

I was thinking that he being insured on a car that she rarely uses means that she will get her first few years NCB with little risk of a claim and this could be a good thing

My wife and I have thought we would be on any policy she takes out and could take it for a fortnightly spin too.

The depreciation in this time has been discussed, but it's not like she is spending £20k on something that's value will fall like a stone, and she plans to keep any car for a number of years.

So the question is, how do we get rough 'ball-park' but not miles-away insurance prices / quotes as she is not yet passed her test, and we do not have a specific car / reg to get a quote on?

I don't want to be spending hours and hours online when all the basics I need to know is that a Polo 1.2TSI might cost 'X' to insure, a DS3 1.6 might cost 'Y' and a Focus 1.0 / 1.4 / 1.6 might cost 'Z'

Is there a simple way to do so that is also not 'dodgy'. I know quotes may show on files (not sure what files though..., just something in the back of my mind...) and it seems a bit dodgy to purport to be 'M.Mouse' at a different address.

I can't be the first person in this position here, so any logical and practical tips would be gratefully appreciated please!

Any other feedback from the forum on the above topic also gratefully received!

Messages Author Date
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualif.. new Slightlyfatdirector 12 Jun 19 13:16
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualifie.. new Crankcase 12 Jun 19 13:59
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualifie.. new No FM2R 12 Jun 19 14:13
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualifi.. new Zero 12 Jun 19 23:02
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qualif.. new Slightlyfatdirector 13 Aug 19 12:37
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be quali.. new wotspur 15 Mar 20 17:06
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qua.. new Slightlyfatdirector 16 Mar 20 13:31
 Insurance quotes for a yet to be qu.. new No FM2R 16 Mar 20 13:44
Latest Forum Posts