Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed diesel injectors - a known fault? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 10

Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed diesel injectors - a known fault? - -
Both problems seem to be with pre 08 3.0 litre Diesels, anything made 08 onwards should have uprated injectors and aluminium sealing washers, however the problems are not really connected.

The pre 08 injectors can sometimes be excessively noisy when cold but settle down once warm, when the now named 'death rattle' starts Toyota dealer will have the vehicle in and put it on diagnostics, if the leak off readings are outside a given range then new injectors are the order of the day...in the vast majority of cases this will rear it's head within warranty but Toyota will repair under goodwill later**

Those same early injectors are sitting on copper seals and as rightly stated above the can allow blow by eventually resulting in massive engine failure, again Toyota have been very generous with goodwill.

**our Hilux went in last month for new injectors out of warranty under goodwill, courtesy car supplied free and as has been our experience of every single visit to our Northampton main dealer i simply can't fault them.
When i first mentioned the noise the service manager (very capable female by the way) was honest and open about the problem, no bull just straight and business like...obviously i'd researched and knew what the problem was anyway but the open honesty was reassuring.

Whilst the vehicle was in they gave the ECU a reflash and the truck has a lot more power than it did previously, new injector pipes and new aluminium seals so hopefully all good for a long service life.
Parts alone £1700+vat...glad it wasn't my bill.

Incidentally i'm of the opinion that being a proper customer by using the dealer for services including after warranty should (maybe not all makes) help with any problems that develop after warranty has expired.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 18 Dec 10 at 21:51
 Messages Author Date
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed diesel i.. new Auntie Lockbrakes 17 Dec 10 23:09
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed diesel .. new Falkirk Bairn 18 Dec 10 04:51
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed diesel.. new Auntie Lockbrakes 18 Dec 10 05:19
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed diese.. new Tigger 18 Dec 10 07:08
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed d.. new - 18 Dec 10 21:50
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed di.. new Giles 17 Sep 11 12:51
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed d.. new - 17 Sep 11 13:24
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed .. new Giles 18 Sep 11 11:58
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - failed.. new - 19 Sep 11 03:11
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - faile.. new Giles 28 Oct 11 15:24
 Toyota HiLux Vigo - D4D - fai.. new - 28 Oct 11 19:36
Latest Forum Posts