Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 6   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 106

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles vol 6 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 7 *****

Volume 6 - NO CARS :-)

Volume 5 is here
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 4 Mar 12 at 04:10

the Solstice Steamer! - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FR0OAzB3yc

Well thats it, the penultimate steam vid of the year. I have changed the video encoding of the last few, so see how that one streams Dog.

My best tho I think was

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9J-N4-BXBQ

It all goes quiet on the steam front for a month or two now.

the Solstice Steamer! - Runfer D'Hills
Plenty of time to get the anoraks, cords and bobble hats washed then?

;-)

And get my thermos disinfected.

the Solstice Steamer! - devonite
No Santa Specials this year?

ohhhhh No! Avoid them like the plague. Cant stand little Saddle tank engines dressed up like Thomas!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Dec 11 at 01:05

the Solstice Steamer! - Dog
Is it a piece of carp then?

Cant Stand TTTE

I blame Ringo Starr

the Solstice Steamer! - Dog
A bygone age! ... makes me feel a bit homesick TBH, as I know that area well,

I'll have to go on a shoot to Bodmin one of these days ~ www.bodminandwenfordrailway.co.uk/

Yes' the videos played perfectly, I received my new N router from Plusnet today so I'll connect that up tomorrow and then I get my ADSL2+ upgrade in early Jan - good innit!

the Solstice Steamer! - bathtub tom
>>the penultimate steam vid of the year

How was the water transferred Zeddo? I saw no evidence of pipes or anything.

On the far platform, hidden by the train, is a series of coupled fire hoses leading out into the car park being fed by a Fire Brigade Auxiliary water tender.

Station locations are chosen as much by tanker access as they are by loco water consumption.

Tangmere was screwed in November because the route was changed, and the only place for water access was at the base of a hill. It never made it up, it couldn't pull the 400 tons* of coaching stock up from a slow start.

*Each Mk2 coach is approx 30 tons, its given a load of 12 plus its support coach.

Chasing Tornados, last choo cho of 2011 - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jpTHN5YnM

The Shakespeare Express, last mainline steam tour of 2011. Caught at Denham Golf Club, then a dash up the M40 at highly illegal speeds, to Warwick to catch it again. I had staked out a couple more spots round Stratford upon Avon, and Kenilworth to maximise the days exposure, but the weather closed in, so it was a relaxed burger, a mimse back down the M40 at sub speed limit and a tank full of cheap petrol at High Wycombe.

Choo Choo's go quite for two months at least now, so I will be off hunting old diesels.

Chasing Tornados, last choo cho of 2011 - Bromptonaut
Seem to be some winter steamers over the S&C Zeddo. Done enough scheduled miles behind 86s to last a life though.

www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

>> Seem to be some winter steamers over the S&C Zeddo. Done enough scheduled miles behind
>> 86s to last a life though.
>>
>> www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

Yes seen them, I am tempted to sign up for the Concrete Cows tour second run. I have explored some of those good lines they intend to toodle about on.

Clan line will be running past my place a couple of times a month in the early part of the year, I need to fond new spots to film it tho, the usual ones are loosing the thrill of the chase.

>> Yes seen them, I am tempted to sign up for the Concrete Cows tour second
>> run. I have explored some of those good lines they intend to toodle about on.
>>
>>
>>

Did you get on that one in the end Z?

>> >> Yes seen them, I am tempted to sign up for the Concrete Cows tour
>> second
>> >> run. I have explored some of those good lines they intend to toodle about
>> on.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> Did you get on that one in the end Z?

Nope - Missed it

>> Nope - Missed it

Picture in March 'Modern Railways' of what may well be first outing - a 66 and coaches on Bletchley Flyover.

It was a pity I missed it, specially the shuttle down the old Brentford dock line, and the remains of the old line to Staines, going under the M4/M25 flyover.

Chasing Tornados, last choo cho of 2011 - sherlock47
Neat little touch to choreograph the squirrel at about 1.38 :)

Warwick looks even more rural than Denham Golf Club!

>> Neat little touch to choreograph the squirrel at about 1.38 :)

Films like this are not just thrown together you know.

Chasing Tornados, last choo cho of 2011 - swiss tony
>> a mimse back down the M40 at sub speed limit and a tank full of
>> cheap petrol at High Wycombe.
>>
Where from? Asda? that's my normal supplier.....

>> >> a mimse back down the M40 at sub speed limit and a tank full
>> of
>> >> cheap petrol at High Wycombe.
>> >>
>> Where from? Asda? that's my normal supplier.....

1/2 mile further up the A4010 towards West Wycombe. 127.9

Chasing Tornados, last choo cho of 2011 - swiss tony
>> 1/2 mile further up the A4010 towards West Wycombe. 127.9
>>
Hmm... you mean the one on the West Wycombe roundabout?
I think Asda is about that anyway....

Where-ever, its still a full 6p a litre cheaper than my neck of the woods.

Chasing Tornados, last choo cho of 2011 - Dog
>>Choo Choo's go quite for two months at least now, so I will be off hunting old diesels<<

Close-ups of DPF's CRD's and DMF's would be, nice?

Tram-train - Ted

This looks a nice system.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYBu8fj6Yo&feature=g-vrec&context=G23085d5RVAAAAAAAABA

Like the grassed-in tracks...neat.

Ted

A load of balls. - Ted

We've not had a post on here for a long time.
So, to bump the thread back to life, here's a little mystery picture.

tinyurl.com/7dkfzs7

What use do these 5lb concrete balls have on the railway ?

Ted

A load of balls. - bathtub tom
That's to stop passengers on the roof of trains.

Sorry Ted, I saw the news item.

A load of balls. - rtj70
I saw the news item. Then the pictures. I was assuming the balls would be the size of balls seems on wrecking cranes :-) Well closer in size maybe.

In fact I imagined/pictured some sort of Gladiator style effort to get past them.*

* Tentative link to the England manager job there....

A load of balls. - Bigtee
What use do these 5lb concrete balls have on the railway ?

Thats what we use to slaughter passengers who are rude or fail to pay there fare. :-)

A load of balls. - Zero
Ok Teds moaning this thread had a gone a bit dry, and BigTee was moaning there were no Diesels.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_6000_Class_6024_King_Edward_I

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_37#Class_37.2F6

Both fixed in this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Mg1idnlT0

warning its a long one - 10 minutes
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 21:27

Nice. - Ted

Nice video, Zed. I'll try for a few up here soon. Got a secondary cataract in me good eye. No point until it's lasered off on March 1st.

Had a bit of time to kill today while I was in the city so got the tram to Manchester Victoria, former hq of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly, and took the train up to Littleborough on the main line and back. That's the last station before I have to pay !

I'll scout a few decent location, TTQ bought me a new camcorder at Chrimbo and I've not used it properly yet.

Ted

Nice. - Zero

>> I'll scout a few decent location, TTQ bought me a new camcorder at Chrimbo and
>> I've not used it properly yet.

I need to get up your way ted, we wont be seeing a princess down here much, also I need to get out onto Shap and video there.

I'll have the King captured for its run on Sunday. This Sunday run and the March one will be the last time King Edward 1 will be seen on its home turf without overhead lines.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 23:35

Nice. - Ted

My great railway interest is the L & Y. I'd like to get some footage of the A Class 0-6-0 and the Horwich Crab. Last time I saw the Crab it was in the NRM, but I've seen it on the ELR. In fact, it was involved in a fatal accident with a motorist using an occupation crossing to get to his house.

Victoria has just been allocated a chunky lump of cash to make it a better place. It's very rundown, although it has some fine mosaics, a tile map of the system and a huge WW1 memorial to the staff killed.

It used to noast the longest platfor which continued into Manchester Exchange, now totally swept away.

If tou can find a copy of The Aspinall Era or The L&Y RLY inthe 20th century, they're both good reads.

See you oop in t' Noorth then....let me know.

Ted

A load of balls. - Dog
Good vids Zed (you're getting good at it) great sound too through my monitor audio speakers.

A load of balls. - henry k
Z Have you tried a squirt of dry silicone on your tripod to stop the shakes ? :-)
Last edited by: henry k on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 19:10

A load of balls. - Zero
I have tried a squirt or three of Silicone spray on the tripod, yes.

Lets make no bones about it, it cost me £9.99 inc postage from 7 day shop, who claim it cost £39.99 full retail. It is a cheap and nasty thing, but at least I now have a tripod carry bag for my trusty old Slik tripod.

A load of balls. - Old Navy
Nice video Zero, Reminds me of them passing through Wimbledon at high speed and still accelerating out of London when I was a kid.

Technical question for Zero, (or anyone). Does Tangmere and her class have roller bearing connecting rod and axle bearings?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 19:53

A load of balls. - Zero
happy to be corrected But I thought most used white metal bearings. probably due to the "hammer" effect that would knock needle or roller bearings flat.

Thanks Z, I was thinking of the American Big Boy Locomotives when I saw the bearings while Tangmere was stopped in your Video.

A load of balls. - spamcan61
Surprisingly, given Bulleid's penchant for fairly radical design in his locos, the bearings are old school brass/whitemetal IIRC.

There's loads of photos here of a Spamcan in bits:-

www.34081.brushhouse.co.uk/overhaul-archive.html

There's some ohotos of the con rod bearings about half way down.

Thanks for the link spamcan, I like to know how things work. I must have spent a hour looking at the sectioned loco at the NRM.

A load of balls. - Zero
What's not well known is that when Mallard set the world speed record for steam, they overheated and knackered the central big end bearing and it had to be towed back to Doncaster for repair.

A load of balls. - Ted
>> What's not well known is that when Mallard set the world speed record for steam,
>> they overheated and knackered the central big end bearing and it had to be towed
>> back to Doncaster for repair.

Another little known fact is that some companies, certainly the LMS and LNER used glass stink bombs on the bearings of their express locomotives. If the bearing overheated, the glass would break and the crew, after each accusing the other of having ' let one rip' would put the smell of bad eggs down to a ' hot box ' and slow the train down.

I was dealing with one of our cars this morning in Duke Street, right next to MOSI. I went a month or so back but it was Thomas the Tank Engine day. Hordes of kids running about. Planet was in steam giving rides. We didn't stay long but it's only ten minutes from Tedton Abbey. If you do come up, Z or anybody, I'd be pleased to come with you...after all, I know where to park for free.......how valuable is that ?

Ted

Ted
>>

A load of balls. - Harleyman
The BR1F tender as fitted to 92212 has Timken roller bearings; I can vouch for this as I was the bod who fitted them!

They're an interference fit on the axle; took several attempts to fabricate a puller which would remove them, and a 40 tonne remote reservoir jack to provide the force; re-fitting the new ones involved heating them in a bath of oil to the requisite temperature, then putting them on by hand wearing two pairs of the thickest welders gloves we could find. Goes without saying that there was little margin for error!

Here's a pic of the removing process; much younger version of HM operating the press!

tinyurl.com/7ggpw8k

A load of balls. - Manatee
Are you sporting a beaver in that pic HM?

A load of balls. - Harleyman
>> Are you sporting a beaver in that pic HM?
>>

I've never heard it called that before, and you can see BOTH of my hands in that picture! ;-)

Aye, a mere stripling compared to the version which curently graces my fizzog, but indisputably less grizzled!

>> The BR1F tender as fitted to 92212 has Timken roller bearings; I can vouch for
>> this as I was the bod who fitted them!
>>
..and for the non trainspotters in the audience one can tell a tender fitted with roller bearings by the yellow paint with red stripe on the axleboxes as (just about) shown here:-

www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/6409/

>> ..and for the non trainspotters in the audience one can tell a tender fitted with
>> roller bearings by the yellow paint with red stripe on the axleboxes as (just about)
>> shown here:-
>>
>> www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/6409/
>>

Does that also apply to the carriage behind the tender, and other rolling stock with yellow axle boxes?

>>
>> Does that also apply to the carriage behind the tender, and other rolling stock with
>> yellow axle boxes?
>>
Yes, I'm not sure when or why the practise started mind you.

A load of balls. - Zero
Must be failry recently, in the old days the only way to tell an axle box had roller bearings was by the fact it had "TIMKEN" embossed on the end plate just visible in the dirt.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 17:37

A load of balls. - Bigtee
We had a spate of hot axle boxes going off a few years ago wasn't the train bearings was the exhaust on the class 153 runs over and under close by to the sensor on the track.

It's checked on a exam for grease leaking at the back of the wheels and heat tabs fitted.

Museums with rail interest - NortonES2
Zero might be interested in this: preview.tinyurl.com/889wo29

Haven't been for a few years but in addition to the material on rail, and many other industries there were exhibits like the aircraft hall. Majoring on AV Roe. Seem to also remember a Japanese rocket plane, Baka I think.

Museums with rail interest - Old Navy
Thanks for the link to MOSI NIL, I will be in that area soon and may have time to take a look.

Museums with rail interest - Zero
looks good, I will consider that next time I am allowed across the North South Border.

Which might well be for this

www.heritagerailway.co.uk/news/six-a4s-to-be-reunited-for-mallard-75th-anniversary

Museums with rail interest - Old Navy
>> next time I am allowed across the North South
>> Border.
>>

M4 ?

The king - Zero
And this is why the king was shuffling around on Friday, in readiness to do this trip.

If I say so my self, this one is a complete corker, it looks stunning at speed, not bad for an 82 year old train.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC-kYh2huAE

The king - Bigtee
Just built my lad a train set on a 6ft-3ft board with points fitted to inner roads and sidings & got him a Thomas The Tank Engine, plus a HST with 2x cars and a dummy, plus a 08 shunter & some scrap trains for the maintennace depot to be added plus the wash plant.

It's god damn addictive i'll tell you!! Got sick of building the small track up and down then got this idea it's took me best part of 5 days to get this far but im loving it and he's playing with it!!!

Next is to paint it and stick some ballast down prices for things are silly but with the use of a soldering iron im to make some signals & stop boards & lighting the list is endless.

I can see why men enjoy model building it really is adictive i tell you!!
 The king - devonite
Sawdust mixed with green food colouring makes great grass!, as do shredded "Scotchbrite" pads for sticking on twigs to make trees!

The king - spamcan61
>>
>> It's god damn addictive i'll tell you!! Got sick of building the small track up
>> and down then got this idea it's took me best part of 5 days to
>> get this far but im loving it and he's playing with it!!!
>>
>> Next is to paint it and stick some ballast down prices for things are silly
>> but with the use of a soldering iron im to make some signals & stop
>> boards & lighting the list is endless.
>>
Prices can indeed be scary, although the few things I buy new are generally from the likes of Hattons, particularly their bargains section.

www.ehattons.com/stocklist/Bargain.aspx

In terms of scenery and stuff then it can be more fun making stuff yourself with the ankle biters. One set of cheapo LED xmas tree lights bought post xmas will provide me with a layout's supply of light for buidlings etc.

The king - Bigtee
Thanks for that link. www.ehattons.com/stocklist/Bargain.aspx

Yes im getting him to help me with some of the painting and scenery, it's to have a duck pond with a crocodile in it as he's only 3 bless.

I made it this size so it fits behind the sofa neatly it would have been better 6ft-4 but would be a eye sore and no play room to leave it up this way it comes out for a few days then put it away the scenery will either pop off or signals etc lie down.

Buffers £7.50 with led on stuff that were making some from old track and the soldering iron. or e bay may supply some old cheap ones.

The "Tyre" on the loco's the rubber thing on the wheels next job some starting to split and motors to clean and lube wheels etc.

Next one is a scaletrix similar on a board but the railway is getting more adictive.

It's a hard life been a grown up sometimes.!

The king - spamcan61
>>
>> Buffers £7.50 with led on stuff that were making some from old track and the
>> soldering iron. or e bay may supply some old cheap ones.
>>
The 1:1 scale railways often made buffer stops from worn out rail so you're just following prototype practice :-)

Also worth rummaging about on/under the second hand stalls at model railway exhibitions, as this kind of stuff is often cheap there.

>> The "Tyre" on the loco's the rubber thing on the wheels next job some starting
>> to split and motors to clean and lube wheels etc.
>>
Yeah, traction tyres are a pain, usually available as spares via the 'bay.

The king - Bigtee
Spamcan61 Thanks for that i went to a rally at Pontefract other week and got a few things but not much second hand mainly all new.

Got a 08 loco off e bay been painted by a blind man do you know how to remove layers of paint from a plastic body? What chemicals i should use etc?

He wants it blue which is fine we have some at work blue with yellow front ends.

The king - spamcan61
>> Spamcan61 Thanks for that i went to a rally at Pontefract other week and got
>> a few things but not much second hand mainly all new.
>>
>> Got a 08 loco off e bay been painted by a blind man do you
>> know how to remove layers of paint from a plastic body? What chemicals i should
>> use etc?
>>
There are a variety of methods, I've used brake fluid or oven cleaner, although both can be risky with ankle biters on the loose. Modelstrip is a gentler, although more expensive, way of doing it.

www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=MODELSTRIP

Some thoughts here:-

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43922-paint-stripping-your-opinions-please/

The king - Dog
>>how to remove layers of paint from a plastic body?<<

= = = > www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCAjcm84Ss

The king - swiss tony
>> And this is why the king was shuffling around on Friday, in readiness to do
>> this trip.
>>
>> If I say so my self, this one is a complete corker, it looks stunning
>> at speed, not bad for an 82 year old train.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC-kYh2huAE
>>

I used to live just down the road, could see the trains from my back window.

The king - Armel Coussine
>> it looks stunning at speed, not bad for an 82 year old train.

Fabulous Zero... takes me back a few years. They and the faster (I think) but lighter Castle class locomotives were the express mainstays of the GWR when I was a kid in the fifties.

That was what trains were always like then. You can't help missing it a bit.

The king - Zero
>> >> it looks stunning at speed, not bad for an 82 year old train.
>>
>> Fabulous Zero... takes me back a few years. They and the faster (I think) but
>> lighter Castle class locomotives were the express mainstays of the GWR when I was a
>> kid in the fifties.

I aim to catch one of the Castles, 5029 Nunney Castle, on the main line in April.

The king - Armel Coussine
Bath/Bristol express from London, pulled by a Castle, would do 90 for a few miles over Salisbury Plain before the Box tunnel... it felt incredibly fast compared to a much faster Eurotunnel train to Paris, because the track was much rougher and the train jerked about.

The king - Zero
Its limited to 75mph max now, but can do it for most of the stretch with a clear road.

The king - Zero
This is a hellava shot to take. Its Maidenhead bridge, just after Taplow where I filmed the king.

its a tough shot, a load of backlighting and river reflection to over come, but its perfectly exposed. probably photoshopped a bit with some fill light.

This is a significant shot. The king will be making one more run on this line and then its off for a new boiler. When it comes back Brunel's Maidenhead bridge will be covered in over head power lines and gantries. There is one more chance to capture a scene like this and then its lost for ever

stephenleek.smugmug.com/Railwayphotos-1/Mainline-2012/20928852_NzgLcV#!i=1708096657&k=HGFqFQt

Pity the camera was not quite level.....
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 18:17

This is really awesome. - Ted

A friend just mailed me this...well worth sharing.

www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tzowQtqOM_I

Ted

This is really awesome. - Zero
Great flying for sure, but that must have way too much power to weight.

This is really awesome. - Lygonos
Awesome skills indeed!

This is really awesome. - rtj70
That was not relying on the wings much for giving the lift.

This is really awesome. - Ted

I thought that Rob. He was using the power and treating the craft like a helicopter.

Amazing control so close to the ground

Ted

This is really awesome. - rtj70
And with that power in that plane so close to people - I thought dangerous and irresponsible.

This is really awesome. - Lygonos
Just think of them as rally spectators, and you'll be fine ;-)

Particurly liked the dude at the start with his bum a foot from the rotors as the pilot cleared the engine.

This is really awesome. - Meldrew
There are manoeuvres there which are impossible to do in a full scale aircraft and all of them are very hard to do by remote/radio control. I wonder how many aircraft he wrecked on the way to getting a display that good?

Valentines day Express - Zero
Its the regular backstop - Clan Line

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK__ww_MqFE

Got a car theme to this one - whats the car being dumped on the pile?

Valentines day Express - crocks
Rover 75

Valentines day Express - spamcan61
Like the head on shot there, nice one.

Valentines day Express - Ted

Couldn't get to sleep last night so I decided to go for a train trip. Ended up in the cab of a short train from San Remo to Cuneo in Italy.( YouTube, of course )

Interesting run, beautiful gorges with the track running on ledges on the hillside, tunnels and brifges over deep gorges. Took about 80 minutes, I think.

What I found interesting was that the engineers seem to be fitting rock warning systems at crucial points. Where the line runs on a ledge cut into a steep hillside, steel posts are being fitted by the trackside on the ' mountain ' side of the line. These are extended outwards from the top at right-angles over the train. The posts support a ' fence ' of horizontal wires along the track and above it. I imagine the wires would not actually stop any large rocks but would would trigger the signals to stop traffic.

I was interested because this is exactly what the engineers did on the West Highland Railway in the late 18th century. Nicknamed ' Anderson'd Piano ' after the engineer, these were fences on the hillside consisting of posts with a horizontal ' fence ' of steel wires. There were none overhead. If a large rock broke one of the wires, the special signal arms dropped to danger and trains were stopped. I think the Pass of Brander was one danger spot.

I have an idea that the system is still in use today.......nothing new, etc !

Ted

Valentines day Express - spamcan61
I think they did the same thing on the Isle of Portland line where it hugged the cliffside before swinging inland to Easton.

Valentines day Express - Ted

I didn't know about that one, Spammie. I''ll have to have a read up when I get my eye sorted out.
I saw Julia Bradbury's ' Railway Walk ' on the trackbed of the Portland Line. Very interesting.

Phoooooar.....also !

Ted

The first lawn mower of Spring - bathtub tom
I saw the first lawn mower of Spring midday today.

I suppose it means I'll have to think about getting mine out of the shed to sharpen the blades and fettling.

The first lawn mower of Spring - Arctophile
Funny you should say that. We did some work in the garden this morning and I very nearly got the lawn mower out.

Perhaps tomorrow if it stays dry.

The first lawn mower of Spring - Harleyman
Mine lives outside (combination of idleness and motorbikes taking priority for shed space) and I cranked it up today; no intention of mowing the lawn but just to see if the mower needed surgery.

Happy to report that it coughed into life on the third pull.

A fun day out. - Ted

2 You Tubes from Ecuador.

Broken points, loco re-railed with bits of tree, market stalls, sheep and rocks on the rotting track.
Switchback line with incredible drops a couple of feet from the rocking train.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIXg11xrIA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Would you sit on the roof ? Fun starts at about 2'35" in.

Click on Part 2 for...er...part 2.

Ted

St Davids Day Express.... - Zero
.... so Its Paddington to Cardiff for this stormer along the GWR in the early morning fog.

GWR King Class 6024 King Edward I, filmed this morning at Taplow Station. Its hauling the The St Davids Day Cathedrals Express & Help The Heroes Special

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdJZLrjkZ24

St Davids Day Express.... - Old Navy
Excellent!

I just hope no green extremist decides they need a CPF, (Coal Particulate Filter).

St Davids Day Express.... - Armel Coussine
Heh heh... another proper train.

The most evocative thing to me is the noise. Keep it up Zeddo.

I kept any modern stuff out of that, with the fog about it could have been stepping back to 1951

St Davids Day Express.... - Bigtee
More flippin kettle driven old bangers where are the good old diesels????

And if none lets have some electric traction.!!!

Nope it's old bangers of steam...................:-(

I filmed a class 37 growler for you!

St Davids Day Express.... - Ted

Here's one for you BigTee. You won't see this running down the middle of your local high street !

Beautifully turned out and liveried ( apart from one coach ). Even the generator van , with it's exhaust pipe on the roof, is liveried to match.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2bR1eIugk

Ted

Thanks Ted thats better.

Zero. Yes i know and i bow down to you but lets have MORE.......................!!!!!!

:-):-)

>> Thanks Ted thats better.
>>
>> Zero. Yes i know and i bow down to you but lets have MORE.......................!!!!!!
>>
>> :-):-)

I put this one up on my youtube channel just for you!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-DoT3nd_1M

St Davids Day Express.... - bathtub tom
I've driven through Weymouth and met a train on its way to the pier - preceded by a man with a red flag. When did they stop that?

Thanks Z, though not many buckets on the back, near where i work there is a container base and the Freightliner depot these are back and forth all night trying to keep us awake swapping ends, but we have ear plugs.:-)

That 37 video was fine keep the oil burners coming your doing just fine. :-)

A question for BigTee....

On a straight bit of our new Metrolink line there is a spot, double track, where both tracks have two shortish lengths of rail, maybe 25 metres, between the running rails. A bit like check rails but, I guess, about a foot towards the centre of the gauge. The ends of each rail are turned inwards towards each other, but don't meet.. I think I've noticed them on heavy rail as well. What do they do ?

I was on the train back from Altrincham today. At Skelton Junction the line makes a sharp turn and the squealing from the flanges was very loud. We were in a 142 I think. Don't bends like this have flange lubricators any more ?

Ted

Sounds a bit like 3rd rail but without seeing it im unsure.

None over here in good old West Yorks.

They all squeel like a pig on bends going slowly.

St Davids Day Express.... - spamcan61
I think they do this in areas with limited clearance i.e where the loading gauge is a bit tight; the extra rail is bolted there to stop the track moving about.

142s have always been know as Squealers ;-)

Thanks, here are the rails in question, they are closer to the running rails than I thought. They appear at about 30 seconds in and at the very end there seem to be some on the right alongside the platform at Cornbrook.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRC0An0U9E0

The line has been closed this weekend for an engineer's possession, A couple of the lads were in the post office this morning, I never thought to ask....maybe I'll catch them tomorrow.

Out of interest, at 1'40" they tram swings right in front of the tunnel entrance which was the route for Midland and Great Central expresses from Manchester Central to St Pancras and Marylebone.

Ted

St Davids Day Express.... - Number_Cruncher
The extra rails are to prevent the vehicle straying too far from the track in case of derailment.

Note there are similar sets of rail on the opposite road's approach to the overbridge.

I would imagine that that overbridge is in some way important, and is worthy of being protected from an impact by a (partially) derailled vehicle.

It#s a feasible point. The bridge isn't particularly important, residential, one or two buses go down there. There's 2 far busier roads,major bus routes and always bysy with traffic that don't have them as well asfour or five others on this section.

Ted

St Davids Day Express.... - Number_Cruncher
Is the line speed higher at that bridge than the others?, or is there more likely to be debris on the track?

Latest Forum Posts