Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 16   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 16 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 17 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Mar 12 at 10:38

US GP halted - henry k
Work on United States Grand Prix track halted,

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15750083.stm

Now the New York GP is to go ahead has Texas got the boot ???
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 16 Nov 11 at 00:26

US GP halted - henry k
>> Now the New York GP is to go ahead has Texas got the boot ???
>>
Thr answer is that Texas is back on so a lot or work to be done !!!!!

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16067944.stm
includes the list of GPs for 2012

Pleased. - Roger.
I'm quietly pleased that Jensen Button has finished higher in the F1 championship than the quick, but erratic (this season), Lewis Hamilton!

Pleased. - Zero
>> I'm quietly pleased that Jensen Button has finished higher in the F1 championship than the
>> quick, but erratic (this season), Lewis Hamilton!
>>
Why?

Pleased. - Armel Coussine
>> Why?

Don't ask. That's my advice.

Gratifying to see that they are both in form again. Likewise Kamui Kobayashi who just squeezed into the points again after doing his usual knife through the butter of the tail end and middle a couple of times.

Pleased. - Stuu
>>I'm quietly pleased that Jensen Button has finished higher in the F1 championship than the quick, but erratic (this season), Lewis Hamilton!<<

+1

Jenson needs to put his stamp on the team and this is a good way to do so, he has done very well this season, he is no No.2 driver, nor has he let Hamiltons raw talent unsettle him like it did Alonso. Cant help but feel Button has another championship in him if he has the car under him, though the same can be said of Lewis also.

Next year looks like a must see.

Pleased. - bathtub tom
Where would he have been last year if Vettel hadn't outbraked himself (Spa?) and t-boned him and the crew had remembered to remove a radiator cover at Monaco?

Pleased. - Zero
>> Where would he have been last year if Vettel hadn't outbraked himself (Spa?) and t-boned
>> him and the crew had remembered to remove a radiator cover at Monaco?

5th behind Hamilton?

Pleased. - Zero
at the end of the day, The redbull is the better car, and Vettel is a better driver than Hamilton, and certainly Button.

Pleased. - Hard Cheese
>> at the end of the day, The redbull is the better car, and Vettel is
>> a better driver than Hamilton, and certainly Button.
>>

Oh I dont know, the car flatters Vettel, one thing is for sure he has the edge over Webber.

Pleased. - rtj70
I too think the Red Bull car has been the better car for two seasons. They have interpreted the current rules and come out with a winner. It will be interesting to see what the banning of all blown diffusers does next year. They seem to have had a good advantage in the corners.

I think this season has proved that Button has always been better than he's been credited with. When at Brawn (with their double diffuser) he was the fastest. But with the same car as Hamilton he's shown he is a good driver.

Next season should be interesting again.

Driver line up - henry k
Robert Kubica to miss start of 2012 season

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15853406.stm

Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 - Hard Cheese

Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 next season after signing a two-year deal with Renault - who will become Lotus in 2012.

Might open the way for Barrichello to stay at Williams, Raikkonen had been talking to Williams.

Not sure it is great for F1 though, despite winning the title in 2007 Raikonnen was billed as the ideal replacement for Schumacher at Ferrari though was out scored by Massa over two years, the latter's bad luck taking him out of contention in 2007 though he had the measure of Raikkonen in '08.

New Sky Sports Channel for 2012 - Sky Sports F1 - rtj70
For those thinking F1 will be spoiled by adverts next year when Sky provides full coverage of F1.... it will be on a new channel. No adverts during races:

f1.sky.com/#f1-coverage

New Sky Sports Channel for 2012 - Sky Sports F1 - Zero
The big question is will Virgin get access to the channel. If so the lads discount will come into play and he will be tasked with installing it.

New Sky Sports Channel for 2012 - Sky Sports F1 - Alastairw
TBH , I dont think it will come to Virgin. There is an automated message on their helpline to say they are in negotiations about it, but they said the same about Sky Atlantic. Also, the ads seem to be saying exclusive to Sky.

Worse still, Brundle has defected, so I imagine BBC viewers (if any are left) will be lumbered with Jonathan Legard again.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 12:44

New Sky Sports Channel for 2012 - Sky Sports F1 - Zero
well never mind - plenty of european sites stream it live on the web.

New Sky Sports Channel for 2012 - Sky Sports F1 - rtj70
Good point about Virgin. Sky lost the battle so to speak over Sky 1. But then decided to launch Sky Atlantic (is that on Virgin?) and now a new sports channel. But Virgin did get money from them for LivingTV sale.

>> Worse still, Brundle has defected
But that does not surprise me. If BBC is only doing some race coverage he'd be having his pay cut by the BBC.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 13:29

New Sky Sports Channel for 2012 - Sky Sports F1 - VxFan
>> Worse still, Brundle has defected, so I imagine BBC viewers (if any are left) will
>> be lumbered with Jonathan Legard again.

Just as long as it isn't Tony Jardine (or Tony Sardine, as the nickname he was given on an old F1 usenet group years ago)

Ferrari and Red Bull leave Fota - henry k
Ferrari and Red Bull have quit the Formula One Teams Association (Fota), raising questions over the future of the organisation.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16009873.stm

Ferrari and Red Bull leave Fota - Alastairw
They were both losing the argument on resources restriction, which is a problem to the biggest spending teams. Obviously McLaren have to stay in cos Whitmarsh is chairman of Fota, which also pushed their noses out of joint I would imagine.

Ferrari and Red Bull leave Fota - Zero
yeah Fota was only of meaning to Ferrari while the Ferarri boss was heading it.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Dec 11 at 22:56

Ferrari and Red Bull leave Fota - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/12/red_bull_set_to_dominate.html

At least Button won something in 2011..... - VxFan
....the worst celebrity appearance in an advert.

www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1109430/the-annual-2011-top-10-worst-celebrity-ads/

At least Button won something in 2011..... - Westpig
>> ....the worst celebrity appearance in an advert.
>>
fair do's..that is bad

At least Button won something in 2011..... - Zero
Nods

At least Button won something in 2011..... - Armel Coussine
No wonder he stays in front once he gets there. No one can overtake through the thick cloud of dandruff...

At least Button won something in 2011..... - Alastairw
Why on earth is the Alonso Fiat 500 ad not included. I never realised he was Mexican until I saw that.

DRS info - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/12/drs.html

January news - henry k
The future of the European Grand Prix in Valencia is in doubt after the city's government indicated that it wants to renegotiate its race fee.
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16442297.stm

Formula 1 bosses have changed the rules to prevent drivers 'blocking' a rival who is trying to pass them.
Plus other items.
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16416932.stm

Excited in the Midlands - Stuu
I so cant wait for next season. I already pay the right subscriptions so the cost is a non-issue re SKY.
Their coverage looks like it will be top quality and the team they have put together looks superb too. The features and in-depth stuff they are looking at doing look facinating too.

January news - Aretas
<< The future of the European Grand Prix in Valencia is in doubt after the city's government indicated that it wants to renegotiate its race fee. >>

Wonderful! The GP in Valencia is an appalling television spectacle.
 January news - Stuu
>>Valencia is an appalling television spectacle.<<

+1

January news - henry k
The BBC has revealed its Formula 1 presenting team for the 2012 season etc.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16516805.stm

January news - Focusless
>> The BBC has revealed its Formula 1 presenting team for the 2012 season etc.

Only change appears to be commentator - James Allen has gone to Radio 5 Live, replaced by Ben Edwards.

January news - Zero
Edwards knows his stuff, heard him a lot on Eurosport. I will miss Brundles wit, cynicism, and real insiders knowledge of what goes on.

I am hoping that Virgin announce they will carry the sky F1 channel, I will then get Virgin installed via my lads discount.

January news - Iffy
...I am hoping that Virgin announce they will carry the sky F1 channel, I will then get Virgin installed via my lads discount...

A bit of new Sky thinking required, Zeddo.

Go on, you know you want to.

January news - Zero
When I can get Virgin for next to nothing?

rather than reach for the sky, reach for a virgin I say.

January news - Iffy
You'd be cooking on telly sport gas if the happy Hammers get promotion.

January news - Zero
>> You'd be cooking on telly sport gas if the happy Hammers get promotion.

Thats not likely to happen, and if it does I dont think sky do one season contracts!

January news - Iffy
Your contract would be for one calendar year.

Tell you what, I'll introduce you, and you can have my £75 M&S vouchers, which would give you 150 quids' worth.

www.sky.com/shop/bundles-offers/introduceafriend/?DCMP=ILC-JUL10_introduceafriend_EC_shophomecopy

January news - rtj70
I would be surprised if Virgin got the new F1 channel straight away. It's going to be used to try to get people to get Sky.

January news - Zero
>> I would be surprised if Virgin got the new F1 channel straight away. It's going
>> to be used to try to get people to get Sky.

Virgin to Carry Sky F1 channel.

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97040

Roll out the cable......

January news - rtj70
That's good news - but with Sky's tactics I am a little surprised. After the Sk1 farce and then launching a lot of the new programs on Sky Atlantic which is not on Virgin.

January news - Westpig
>> That's good news - but with Sky's tactics I am a little surprised.

Maybe beardie has coughed up enough to make it worthwhile.

January news - Alastairw
I read that as you still need to subscribe to Sky sports to get it, while Sky HD customers get it for nowt. Time will tell.

If this is the case, I won't be getting it, cos I cant justify the additional cost of Sky sports.

January news - Zero
>> I read that as you still need to subscribe to Sky sports to get it,
>> while Sky HD customers get it for nowt. Time will tell.

Yup, you do. thats how Virgin managed to get it, they have access to all sky ports packages, and its classed a s sky sport package. Sky sports HD is available on Virgin. need to see how they bundle it up.

January news - Westpig
I kept threatening to myslef to cancel the Sky Sports element as I rarely bother...but... the moment I did, there'd be something I'd want to watch..so just as well i've kept it.

Will miss DC's commentary though, I liked his style and camaraderie with Martin Brundle.

January news - Stuu
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16587505.stm

Good to see he got a seat. Flashes of brilliance last year and deserving of a good opportunity.

January news - Stuu
uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18012012/66/hill-hopes-bring-fans-closer-f1.html

Got to hand it to SKY, they are really spending the coin to get in all the names. I look forward to seeing what Damon brings to the show.

January news - Ateca chris
Already be a virgin customer subscribing to the full sports package im happy to be getting
F1.Disappointed that we wont be getting the HD feed which is exclusive to sky only

www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a360314/sky-sports-f1-coming-to-virgin-media.html

January news - Iffy
...we wont be getting the HD feed which is exclusive to sky only...

I wouldn't put it past Sky to broadcast the standard definition at a lower resolution than they could to exaggerate the difference.

January news - henry k
FIA ban new technical innovation developed by Lotus and Ferrari

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16664827.stm

Nice but expensive try?

January news - henry k
Testing underway.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16914962

Eleven of the 12 constructors - everyone apart from Marussia - are testing in Jerez this week. Nine of them are planning four-day programmes, HRT are only in action on days one and two, and Mercedes - who are using 2011 car - will miss Friday.

Kimi Raikkonen has marked his return to Formula 1 after a two-year absence by going top of the timesheets with a lap of one minute, 19.670 seconds. The 2007 title winner from Finland has joined Lotus (formerly Renault) for 2012 and is one of an unprecedented six world champions on the grid this season.

Scotland's Paul di Resta of Force India and Mercedes' Nico Rosberg are both within six tenths off the pace whole Mark Webber, Jenson Button and Felipe Massa are sixth, seventh and eighth-fastest respectively.

The likes of Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Bruno Senna take over from their team-mates on Thursday.

New F1 Car Nose Cones - rtj70
Looking at some of the new F1 car designs, I can't see such an obvious nose cone section - there has to be one.... From pictures the front of the nose cones has aerials.... although they are maybe for aerodynamic purposes.

In fact I am not sure the cars look so good especially the new Ferrari. I know it's not all about looks but if say a Ferrari 458 Italia took design cues from a Skoda Felicia it would not have sold.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 00:31

New F1 Car Nose Cones - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16872627
Some pics of the cars.

Show us your rear !! - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17244928
An awful lot of effort from Red Bull at covering up !

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - John H
Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12

The new channel launches in 15 minutes, at 8pm tonight.

www1.skysports.com/formula1/

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - Stuu
Having followed Sky's coverage of testing and now the new channel, they really are gold-plating their coverage to make it feel worth some extra money. Im enjoying it immensely and I think I may well have paid extra for it if the race coverage matches what ive seen so far.

The BBC seem to have given up judging by their rarely updated F1 website, all the good bits like Ted and Martin have had their pockets stuffed with money so the transition doesnt feel like much of a stretch as only old the rubbish bits of the BBC team are left over.

I wont miss Eddie and his pearls one bit.

Season is looking like a corker too.
Last edited by: FoR on Fri 9 Mar 12 at 20:51

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - Zero
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Mar 12 at 21:33

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - VxFan
Just tried viewing the channel in SD (Ch 408), and I can. But according Sky Active, it says that it's only available to all Sky customers with Sky Sports 1 & 2, or the HD pack.

Am I right in thinking I can view this channel for free in standard def, or when it's time for racing it will become blocked?

I am not a subscriber to any of the sports channels, I don't have Sky HD. I just have the entertainment package and movies.

To be honest, I couldn't give two hoots about wanting to watch it in HD, and I loath giving Sky any more money than I already do, but I still want my regular fix of F1.

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - rtj70
We don't have HD or want/need it but do have the sports channels... I thought you needed either Sky Sport 1+2 or HD to get this. It has nothing to do with watching it in HD.

Maybe they'll let people watch it to begin with anyway... take it away and make you want to upgrade. If you don't want the sports channels then the HD pack is a cheaper way of getting this.

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - Stuu
>>Am I right in thinking I can view this channel for free in standard def, or when it's time for racing it will become blocked?<<

If you have SKY HD you get the HD version, if you have SKY Sports, you get standard definition, but both options enable you to watch the racing.
I already had SKY Sports so its not cost me anything extra, or perhaps it just got better value, slice it how ya like.

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - Armel Coussine
The digital tube I have in the country told me I could get Sky1 Sports on freeview' but the small print mentioed perhaps having topay 20 quid.

I don't mind the 20 quid, but I can't cope with the cyberbureacracy, can't begin to. I need a nephew or son-in-law to sort me out.

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - Westpig
>> I need a nephew or son-in-law to sort me out.
>>

I would suggest you need more than that...;-)

>> >> I need a nephew or son-in-law to sort me out.
>> >>
>>
>> I would suggest you need more than that...;-)

yeah, you are going to need the right freeview decoder/tv. a CAM (common access module - basically a plug in card reader) and a viewing card. And probably a software update.

>> >> >> I need a nephew or son-in-law to sort me out.
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >> I would suggest you need more than that...;-)
>>
>> yeah, you are going to need the right freeview decoder/tv. a CAM (common access module
>> - basically a plug in card reader) and a viewing card. And probably a software
>> update.

Oh, forgot to add, even then you wont get Sky F1

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - AnotherJohnH
>> The digital tube I have in the country told me I could get Sky1 Sports
>> on freeview' but the small print mentioed perhaps having topay 20 quid.
>>

AFAIK on Freeview, $ky sports 1 and/or 2 are available through BT Vision:

www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27470

as the way of providing the level of encryption/security of content that $ky demand.

However, I'm not sure if you'll get F1 on either of those.

Edit - no F1, like wot Z said.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sat 10 Mar 12 at 11:53

>> However, I'm not sure if you'll get F1 on either of those.

Edit - no F1, like wot Z said. >>

www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12040/7467302/SkySports-F1-Your-questions-answered

"Is the F1 channel available on BT Vision? : Excuse the fence-sitting reply, but that's still to be determined"

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - AnotherJohnH
>> >> However, I'm not sure if you'll get F1 on either of those.
>>
>> Edit - no F1, like wot Z said. >>
>>
>> www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12040/7467302/SkySports-F1-Your-questions-answered
>>
>> "Is the F1 channel available on BT Vision? : Excuse the fence-sitting reply, but that's
>> still to be determined"
>>
>>
>>

My mistake.

But I'll bet a virtual pint that live F1 doesn't appear on Sports1 or Sports2 unless there's a God almighty fuss, because of $ky creating new unique channels for it.

I'm sure they watch internet forums too - to see if anyone has found a way to get it for free, and then knobble it/them.

On past performance $ky don't do free.

>> I'm sure they watch internet forums too - to see if anyone has found a
>> way to get it for free, and then knobble it/them.

maybe, but they can't prevent a live internet feed from outside the country, which is how i shall be watching it.

>>Just tried viewing the channel in SD (Ch 408), and I can. But according Sky Active, it says that it's only available to all Sky customers with Sky Sports 1 & 2, or the HD pack. >>

That is what Sky say, and what everyone understands them to mean.

>> Am I right in thinking I can view this channel for free in standard def, or when it's time for racing it will become blocked? >>

Don't know.

I have a Sky HD box and was on their basic SD pack. I could view ch408 F1 SD, but ch459 said it was F1 HD and required a sub.

I bit yesterday and got upgraded to the HD pack.

Now the channel number have got swapped - ch408 is F1 HD and ch459 is F1 SD.

Searching on the net brought up this:
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1120282&d=0&nmt=
forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56821221

I had a freeview HD TV in another room. Tested the Sky ch408 in HD on it and it is brilliant. At the moment am just feeding the sound to an amp with two speakers as I do not have the 5.1 capability.

>> I bit yesterday and got upgraded to the HD pack. >>

BTW, if you do the upgrade online, you get £50 back in M&S vouchers.

www.sky.com/shop/tv/sports/formula-one/

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - Iffy
I got into F1 again last season, but tend to switch on for the start of the race, and switch off at the chequered flag - assuming I'm still awake.

For viewers such as me, I wonder if the Sky coverage will be much different.

My understanding is the coverage of the race itself is carried out by a production company owned by Bernie.

If that's still the case, the race on Sky should look much the same as it did on the BBC, or ITV come to that.

Which brings me to point number two.

I'm not sure if Sky intend uninterrupted coverage of the race, or if there will be ad breaks.

Sky F1 HD and SD tonight 09Mar12 - VxFan
>> I'm not sure if Sky intend uninterrupted coverage of the race, or if there will be ad breaks.

No ad breaks apparently.

Austrailian GP. - zookeeper
the bbc arent showing the first race of the season on sunday morning, but the highlights will be on 1400-1600 hrs on sunday afternoon i believe, i will have to hibernate till then so i dont get the result before hand
not going to be easy with a houseful of f1 fans at my mothers (mothers day) and the sky tv on
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 16 Mar 12 at 16:14

F1 races in 2012 on the BBC - VxFan
LIVE RACES ON THE BBC

15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil

Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

Races in the Far Eastern time zone will have highlights broadcast on BBC One at 1400, with those in the European time zone getting 90 minutes at 1730.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/15893254

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Mar 12 at 16:59

F1 2012 - Stuu
I have to say, Im am more excited this year than ever before about the prospects of a fantastic season.

Watching the practice coverage this lunchtime, its clear the season is pretty wide open.
McLaren have had a good winter and look on the money, Reb Bull look like they are there too, Ferrari seem to have a twitchy car but it seems to be able to put the laps in if they can make it stick and theres quite alot of talk about Mercedes who also seem to have a well-behaved car thats quick in the speed traps, it looks very smooth much like Red Bulls have in the past.
Renault look like they have some pace as do Force India and the Hulk looks very sharp, that lad has some real talent for sure.

Free practice tomorrow morning will apparently be when everyone shows their hand according to Horner - cant wait, I really cant, I feel genuinely enthused about it all.

The weekends just got a whole lot better.

F1 2012 - Roger.
McLaren ! & 2 on the grid - Red Bull nowhere! Interesting.

F1 2012 - Zero
Just watched a live stream of Sky Sports replay coverage.

1/ I am quite impressed with Skys coverage - Not sure why anthony davidson needs the female wallpaper next to him, but hey. No Eddie Jordan is a real bonus. Brundel as good as ever.

2/ The Mclarens look really good. Watching LH's pole lap from on board, it wasn't in the least bit twitchy, no frantic corrections of the wheel - smooth as silk

3/ The prancing horse is in trouble. They have copied McLarens 2011 strategy starting afresh with a clean sheet of paper, rather than evolution.

Sure every now and again you have to do it, but they look further behind than when Mclaren did it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 17 Mar 12 at 11:02

F1 2012 - zookeeper
has hamilton lost the beard ( the shirzinger woman) he has looked good , maybe his concentration is back

F1 2012 - Armel Coussine
>> I am quite impressed with Skys coverage

Can't say I am. Too busy by half. For every nugget of genuine information or analysis one has to sit through a lot of Beavis and Butthead faffing. Of course it may calm down a bit now Sky has announced itself, but I doubt it.

Damon Hill is welcome. But the two Sky commentators, a man and woman new to me, are both very unprepossessing. The woman looks, dresses and talks (in meaningless inarticulate grunts) like an off-duty squaddie.

I've been looking at the channel experimentally for several days, all the recycled footage and rundowns on the coming season... I even started to wonder if there could be such a thing as too much F1...

Nice to see our matinee idols back where they belong at the front of the grid and Red Bull trailing. Not so nice to see Ferrari in the doodoo again. Mercedes quick and rock-steady. Grosjean back with a bang.

Hmmm... we shall see.

F1 2012 - Westpig
Button looks strong. He's much closer to Hamilton than he has been in the past...and on the front row.

He tends to be stronger in the race than qualifying, so should be interesting.

F1 2012 - Roger.
>> Button looks strong. He's much closer to Hamilton than he has been in the past...and
>> on the front row.
>>
>> He tends to be stronger in the race than qualifying, so should be interesting.

.as he proved!

F1 2012 - Westpig
>> as he proved!
>>

Yes...and makes Flavio Briatore's old comment of Button beiong a 'concrete bollard' a bit foolish as well.

F1 2012 - John H
My first impressions of qualifying coverage:

Sky - not impressed by Georgie Thompson and Simon Lazenby. Perhaps they will grow in to it. Damon Hill not yet as able as Coulthard. After quali3, Lazenby missed a golden opportunity to ask Brawn for his reaction to Eric Boullier's stated intention to protest the result of qualifying. Ted Kravitz was the best of the Sky lot.

Sky Red Button - wow, you need a second screen to view all that lot!

BBC - Coulthard and Humphrey better than the Sky team. Ben Edwards better than Croftie whose commentary was more suited to his previous Radio5-live job. Lee McKenzie better than the Sky's pitbabe Pinkham. Humphrey was quick on the spot to interview Kimi and Di-Resta.

5Live - didn't hear it so do not know how well James Allen et al did.

p.s. Hamilton aborted his final Q3 run on minimum fuel and brand new tyres, so in theory he could have gone a few tenths quicker than his first Q3 run.

Last edited by: John H on Sat 17 Mar 12 at 17:36

F1 2012 - Westpig
>> p.s. Hamilton aborted his final Q3 run on minimum fuel and brand new tyres, so
>> in theory he could have gone a few tenths quicker than his first Q3 run.
>>
Good point.

F1 2012 - rtj70
I didn't get to watch this live - I didn't get up that time just for qualifying - so didn't try the red button. Might be useful but I wasn't planning on watching the race live tomorrow either.

The woman they have seems useless to me - why did they pick her? And I think it will take time for Hill to improve but I doubt he is ever as good as Coulthard.

What a result for Grosjean for Lotus Renault. Well not result but an excellent qualifying position.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 17 Mar 12 at 18:26

F1 2012 - henry k
What a happy bunny Hamilton is. I thought he was supposed to have sorted things out.
Seeing the BBC coverage of the red T shirt celebrations, was that a smile or a snarl for the cameras ?

F1 2012 - Manatee
Demeanor after the race was interesting. Button genuinely self effacing I think, admitting to fluffing his first upchange. Hamilton clearly unhappy despite the podium, possibly at his own failure to close Button off before he got up the inside at the start. Vettel relaxed and unperturbed, and probably has the best head of the three.
 F1 2012 - Armel Coussine
Yeah, Lewis Hamilton didn't look at all pleased, robbed of first off the line and second in the flurry of manoeuvring around the pace car incident, when the pole looked so promising. But those are the rules. There will be other opportunities.

F1 2012 - Zero
Hamilton had vettel in place, the double pit stop was a brilliant move, superbly executed and caught Red Bull with their pants down. Would have stymied them completely. the safety car screwed things up, Hamilton was p'd off with the third place.

Vetel just loves driving fast, always a happy bunny. Hamilton takes himself too seriously.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Mar 12 at 22:06
 Malaysian GP - VxFan
Great race. Loads of overtaking. Only 2 retirements, and the rain letting some of the back markers come up through the field to earn some well deserved points for a change.

The BBC seem to be doing a reasonable job so far covering the races so no need to pay Sky more than I already do for their F1 channel. Ben Edwards has stepped into Martin Brundle's shoes very well indeed. My only criticism being the lack of coverage of the podium proceedings and I miss Brundle's grid walk.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Mar 12 at 00:28

Malaysian GP - henry k
>>...no need to pay Sky more than I already do for their F1 channel.
>>
I happened to stumble on both BBC live and SKY F1 on my PC this morning.
Sky will not be getting any £££s from me but when afternoon races return I might have a coffee or two in a pub.

Malaysian GP - rtj70
Last weekend I didn't watch live and therefore watched the BBC coverage (We have Sky). About the same as last year for quality.

This weekend I watched a bit of qualifying on Sky and the race today (Race recorded from earlier). So the race was recorded so red button use not possible etc. Thoughts:

- BBC still better
- Adverts! on Sky - well there would be I suppose.
- Alonso was lucky to win! Perez should have if he made an earlier stop and then not made an error. Well done Perez and Sauber!
- If you watch F1 on Sky and basically don't watch live then the Red Button stuff is irrelevant. I went off F1 a long time ago (used to watch it in the 80s and early 90s when anything could happen!) and relied on fast forward.
- I might watch on BBC more than Sky when BBC have it live etc. or relying on a catch up service.

And what is the point of that woman on Sky shown at the technical bits....? I have no idea.

Malaysian GP - Armel Coussine
The shape of the coming season is still obscure (but long may it remain so!).

Lots of talent in the middle and rear ranks. A wet race often brings that into prominence. My man Kobayashi had a bad day but his teammate a terrific one. Mr Sauber shed a tear along with the floods pouring out of the Ferrari garage. Fabulous drive of the day from Alonso. Hamilton philosophical because at least his teammate didn't win and he's now five points ahead.

Sepang did its thing of being soaked on one side of the circuit and almost bone dry on the other. That's why tailenders keep posting fastest laps: they've been lucky and have the right tyres at the right time. But it must be a bit wearing for the drivers.

I don't like highlights, even comprehensive ones. But I'm not going to get up after two hours' kip for a frivolous reason like watching a race. So I long for the circus to come back to the civilized world and have the races at lunch time.

Sky coverage is a bit much I think, and repetitive. It's like watching reports of a boring little disaster in a Muslim or Communist country on Fox News. They just can't shut up and leave it alone.

Malaysian GP - Zero
Raikonen is a cockpit to watch. The laconic quiet fin has lost none of his speed or bravado, he will be up there banging wheels in no time.

Malaysian GP - bathtub tom
I listened to it live on radio 5 as it was at a reasonable time - an exciting race that I thought was worth watching later on the beeb.

I fell asleep in front of the telly!

Malaysian GP - Westpig
Anyone else find the Sky coverage has yet to get the balance right for the volume..i.e. you can't hear the commentary properly for the noise of the cars.

Malaysian GP - John H
>> My only criticism being the lack of coverage of the podium proceedings >>
Nothing much that you are missing there, but in any case that will be back for the 10 races BBC shows live.

>> and I miss Brundle's grid walk. >>
Again, nothing much to miss there. Looks like Button is the only driver willing to talk to Brundle on the grid.

>> - Adverts! on Sky - well there would be I suppose. >>
rtj: the ads are only shown in the preamble to the race. The race is shown in full, including yesterday's full 30 minutes or so of sitting around doing nothing while the rain had red-flagged the proceedings.

BBC's after race coverage on main channel followed by another 1 hour on the red button is/was far superior to Sky. Jake and Coulthard did a "great job" or "fantastic job" (in F1 speak).

Did you see Vettel lose his cool, finger waving from the cockpit and then in the post race interviews call Karthikeyan an "idiot" who should not be in F1? It was a bit like 2010 when he came together with Webber, and gestured that Webber was an idiot too.

Re. Hamilton's race. What are McLaren up to?

In Melbourne, for the first pit stop, Hamilton called in to say his tyres were going off one lap before Jenson came in for his pit stop and he was told to wait. One lap wasted on worn tyres. Jenson came in next lap, Lewis forced to stay out another lap, so now two laps wasted losing time on worn tyres. Okay, so next stop they brought them in together to remedy the first pit stop delay, but Vettel lucked it due to the safety car.

In Sepang, apart from the mistakes during the pit stops which cost Hamilton about 5 or 6 seconds, there were delays in calling him in to the pit. Below are extracts from how the Mclaren live Pit wall conversation went:
" Pit » HAM: "Some cars might come in for inters quite soon. What are your thoughts?"
Hamilton: "It's slightly wetter than when we started the race, but it's probably okay for inters.""

Hamilton's engineer didn't react to that, and let him stay out.

Button's pit wall did react:
"Pit » BUT: "Box this lap for inters!""

Now belatedly, Hamilton's engineer came back:
"Pit » HAM: "About 5 cars have stopped for inters, including Jenson. Keep us informed of conditions.
Hamilton: "It's good for inters. Box this lap.""

So he was kept out two laps more than necessary because his engineer did not react quickly enough, whereas Button's engineer got him in first.

Then towards the end of the race, Hamilton wanted to come in for slicks:
"Pit » HAM: "We still think there could be more rain to come. We want to keep going on these tyres.""

Contrast that with button's engineer:
"Pit » BUT: "Okay. Some cars have switched to slick tyres and they are quicker. We think it's ready for slicks.""
Pit » BUT: "Box this lap. Slick tyres."
Button: "These tyres will be no good if it rains."
Button: "How long until the rain?"
Pit » BUT: "We can't be sure, Jenson. We think this is the right thing to do.""

Then two or more laps later, Hamilton's engineer wakes up:
"The guys on slicks are now 5s per lap faster than those on intermediates..."
"Pit » HAM: "Lewis, we need to box this lap. ALO has pitted for dries, as have the cars behind."
Hamilton: "Box this lap okay."
Pit » HAM: "The target now is to get PER. There are 14 laps to go."
Pit » HAM: "PER is on primes, you are on options. You are quicker."
Pit » HAM: "You are 1.2s faster than ALO ahead. ALO is struggling."
Pit » HAM: "Well done Lewis. Not exactly the result you wanted, but a podium none the less. Another podium. Well done. Standard in-lap procedure.""

"That concludes our live coverage of the Malaysian Grand Prix on the McLaren.com Pitwall. We hope you enjoyed it!"

Latest Forum Posts